Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
It does if they're pushing the iPads as a replacement for computers. But unless their file system (e.g. Files, Documents, etc.) supports reading mass storage devices, USB-C is not really that useful.

They included a MagSafe adapter with their display when they changed it way back in the day; I assume they could just throw another adapter in the box.

Are you sure about that? I only ever remember the adapter as a standalone item...

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Interested in iMac updates. Hopefully we hear more about that soon.

Also I love Apple's 12" Macbook...wish I had gone for that over my Macbook Pro honest. Gonna be real bummed if they start making major changes to it.

Ugh I’m desperate for some iMac info, but I’m becoming less optimistic :(

Mine is 8 years old and I could really use a new one, but would prefer if it gets a redesign.

Reactions: pappkristof

ELman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
All the Series 2 and Series 3 watches already have a ceramic back so the price is already factored in...the only models with composite are Series 0 and Series 1.
The Series 3 Wi-Fi has a composite back. Only the LTE models have ceramic.

Reactions: ljmac

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
If that’s the case they can keep the Apple Watch. I wouldn’t pay more than the series 3 is currently priced and I wouldn’t buy a series 3 at its current price even if it’s one year old. I’ll just keep my old Apple Watch and stop using one when it dies. It’s nice to have but it’s definitely not worth the price it costs, let alone a bigger one.

The MacBook definitely has to drop in price. At the moment it has an extortionate price with little justification. Touchid really can’t bring the price up as it’s an old technology that costs very little to Apple.

Agreed on both points, for me the Series 4 should replace the Series 3 at the same price point, keep the Series 3 around at a lower price.

As for the Macbook, same, the m3 model with a single port to me feels like it 'should' be 899-999, I feel they'll drop the price to 1099, include Touch ID but gimp the storage to 128 - so 1 step forward and the other back, in my mind anyway. I don't see how they can just drop the price 250 and not come across as looking like they've ripped everyone off for 3 years.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Maybe they are working towards an all USB-C lineup (iPads/Macs)? Maybe iPhones, watches and AirPods all going full wireless, no ports? I can't see them completely removing ports from the phone for at least another couple years though... Wireless isn't mainstream enough.

Yes. I agree this is the path Apple is taking. But with no USB C audio standard, they aren’t going to replace the lightning port with a USB C port and remove the headphone jack.

They could add a USB-C port in addition to the Lightning port, but then I’d expect to see a Lightning port added to the Mac.

My money is on the Smart Connector replacing Lightning eventually for physical connections as inductive charging replaces the need for ports. However, the iPad Pro will need need a physical port for data transfers and perhaps that’s where USB-C comes in.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Continuous EKG could be interesting. There's a device called QardioCore that is available everywhere but the US (no FDA approval yet) that does continuous EKG recording with a chest strap (which is different than what runners often wear which just measures pulse).

Usually for even just a single lead EKG you'd need to complete a circuit, which makes reading from the wrist a bit difficult—not to mention the movement at the wrist which would cause interference.

I would predict that it's either: 1) Similar to AliveCor's current band where you have to complete a circuit by touching with the other hand and it does a single reading at a time or 2) It uses the plethysmograph information from the LEDs on the back of the watch to SIMULATE an EKG-type reading (as they have been testing in the Apple heart study) to notice arrhythmia. If it's the latter, then there's really no reason it couldn't work with any Apple Watch—although Apple has been known to make features exclusive to certain models even though it's technically feasible on others.

After reading this, my guess is that little "speaker" dot in between the crown and the button on the S4 leaked image might actually be a sensor (with one on the other side as well) you will have to touch with your non-watch hand to complete the circuit for EKG monitoring.

pappkristof

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2015
Ugh I’m desperate for some iMac info, but I’m becoming less optimistic :(

Mine is 8 years old and I could really use a new one, but would prefer if it gets a redesign.

I’m looking for an iMac too, but I don’t want to buy one with a 2+ years old cpu.

A 6 core CPU, 16 GB standard RAM and a base configuration with SSD would be more than enough for me to immediately order one.

An anniversary redesign would be great too, but only if it solves thermal issues.

sosumi99

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
A lot of items on this list don't "make sense" (e.g., adding Touch ID to their "cheap" MacBook without TouchBar, switching from Lightning to USB-C but only on the MacBook Pros), but that doesn't mean Apple won't be doing exactly these things. I'm not one of those who thinks everything was rosy back when Jobs was in charge, but Jobs was a products guy, and he had a sense about what was attractive about Apple's way of doing things (simplify the product matrix, iterate over the same concept until it's perfect, don't go into an area until you can really make an impact ...). Cook, on the other hand, is not a products person, and there's a growing trend of Apple doing nonsensical things under him. The most damning bit of news is the report that Eddie Cue cares so little about Siri and he would fall asleep when it's discussed in meetings. And this constant fragmentation of the product matrix is another.

I've been trying to keep an open mind about Cook, but while he may be good for shareholders, I don't believe he's good for the customers who appreciated the old Apple.

Reactions: pipis2010

Geoko78

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2018
The ceramic back on the apple watch is the best solution.As the aluminum corrodes and that is unacceptable.
Hope that is true.Because i was not gonna give 800€ for a watch and just to keep it 4 years maximum.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
So Apple is going to keep lightning for iPhones but switch iPads to USB-C? Why?
The only way it makes sense is if the iPad transparently switches to running MacOS (and MacOS apps) when plugged into a monitor. If it happens Wednesday there’s you’re “one more thing”.

Seems like more of a 2020 feature but who knows?

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Any “delay” of the “budget” model is purely intentional. Just like last year with the X. This year they want the higher tier mix and the below the one grand price of the Xs. Smart. They want customers hooked and showing off the higher end models without distraction. And the accessories coming later like the charging pad and AirPods - again smart - no need to throw it all on the market - spending and demand will see thru those items during the holiday rush - making those items must haves and sell outs.

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
Jobs was a products guy, and he had a sense about what was attractive about Apple's way of doing things (simplify the product matrix, iterate over the same concept until it's perfect, don't go into an area until you can really make an impact ...). Cook, on the other hand, is not a products person, and there's a growing trend of Apple doing nonsensical things under him.

I agree. Apple's product line seems to be getting messy. Steve simplified it. And it feels like it's getting complex again with so many different products, etc. each a little different from the other. Visiting Apple's web site now reminds me of visiting Dell's with so many similar products to chose from.

The most damning bit of news is the report that Eddie Cue cares so little about Siri and he would fall asleep when it's discussed in meetings.

Everyone falls asleep during a meeting here or there. It happens.

But, yes, Siri sucks.

Reactions: pipis2010

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I see people mentioning they wish iOS devices had a USB-C port instead of lightning.

What are the reasons USB-C is better?

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY

zla

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2018
Yes. I agree this is the path Apple is taking. But with no USB C audio standard, they aren’t going to replace the lightning port with a USB C port and remove the headphone jack.

They could add a USB-C port in addition to the Lightning port, but then I’d expect to see a Lightning port added to the Mac.

My money is on the Smart Connector replacing Lightning eventually for physical connections as inductive charging replaces the need for ports. However, the iPad Pro will need need a physical port for data transfers and perhaps that’s where USB-C comes in.

Hardware engineer here. There most definitely is a USB C audio standard. USB C headphones already exist much like lightning headphones.

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN
Not a chance in hell Apple replaces Lightning on the iPad. It doesn't make sense: if I were traveling with all updated Apple products I would need a Lightning cable for my iPhone and a USB-C cable for my iPad. Why?!

Don't forget all the Apple accessories have Lightning ports: Magic Mouse/Keyboard, AirPods, Beats, etc. It makes no sense to switch the iPad to USB-C.
I understand your frustration but I think this is unavoidable. Sooner or later lightning cables are going to have to be phased out and replaced with something that can provide faster transfer speeds and/or recharge times. Whether Apple does it now or 2 years from now, there will be a transition period where users with multiple Apple products will need to carry multiple chargers.

I think the recharge speeds are enough to justify beginning that transition phase now. The bright side is the sooner it starts the sooner we can get back to carrying a single charger when we travel. My biggest question when the iPhones eventually go to USB-C is if there will be a cable to allow me to keep using Apple CarPlay on my Elantra.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
MacRumors, sorry, but your article is wrong. They did not say that the entire Watch will be ceramic, just the "back," which is the black section underneath that houses the sensors. Might want to edit your article.

Last edited:

sdreamer07

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2018
Not a chance in hell Apple replaces Lightning on the iPad. It doesn't make sense: if I were traveling with all updated Apple products I would need a Lightning cable for my iPhone and a USB-C cable for my iPad. Why?!
[doublepost=1536590037][/doublepost]

Don't forget all the Apple accessories have Lightning ports: Magic Mouse/Keyboard, AirPods, Beats, etc. It makes no sense to switch the iPad to USB-C.

Not sure why Apple needs to move on to "standardized" ports. Their Lightning ports are more than capable, and if you're in the Apple ecosystem, that is your standard anyways. So I'm hoping that rumor is really just giving use USB C power bricks instead of changing the ports. It really is nice traveling with only a Lightning cable. But here's the kicker. Apple will get around that fragmentation problem by... wait for it... dongles... you know that is what they'll do if they switch out the iPad Pro ports and anything else Lightning to USB-C. I really feel that Lightning cables just are built better, you don't worry much about bending pins inside like you would on USB-C. I can see the cost thing being an issue, but just look at how many times Best Buy puts their Insignia cables for 2$. You can get some decent Lightning cables for cheap, if not cheaper than USB-C cables from reputable vendors (unlike gambling on Amazon with a knock off). Really hope they keep lightning, but I see a dongle-full future.

Reactions: jarman92

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Also, changing iPad Pro to USB-C renders it unable to charge the current-gen Apple Pencil, compatibility with which is one of the selling points of the iPad Pro.

Right, because Apple has never, ever, forced people to buy a $20 dongle or new cable to use their old accessories. /s

Anyway, the way the current Pencil charges is ludicrous - sticking out from the iPad and just asking to be snapped off (mechanics 101 - the lever). Wasn't there a rumour that they're re-designing the "smart connector"? A Pencil that snaps magnetically on to the smart connector for charging and storage would make more sense.

In the time period that Apple has had two mobile cable standards (Dock, Lightning), USB has had seven (Mini-A, Mini-B, Mini-AB, Micro-A, Micro-B, Micro-B SuperSpeed, and now Type C).

Well, you're counting things twice there since USB cables (before type C) distinguish between host & peripheral, hence A and B connectors. Plus, the USB 1/2-era cables are all backward-compatible with super-speed sockets. The Micro USB connectors are over 10 years old and Type C is already about 3... I'm not a huge fan of USB-C (I agree that they've fouled up over having too many cable types) but I think the connector is going to be around for ages (next step for mobiles will be all-wireless).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.