Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mass shipments of the Vision Pro to Apple will begin in the first week of January, according to supply chain analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Vision-Pro-Person.jpg

In a December 24 research note, Kuo said the Vision Pro will most likely hit shelves in late January or early February based on this shipment schedule. Kuo estimates that Vision Pro shipments in 2024 will reach approximately 500,000 units.

Apple first announced the Vision Pro at WWDC in June, and said it would launch in the U.S. in early 2024, followed by more countries later in the year.

Kuo's prediction follows a report from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman earlier this month that said Vision Pro manufacturing was "running at full speed." Gurman said Apple was aiming to launch the headset in early February.

Article Link: Kuo: Vision Pro Likely to Launch in Late January or Early February

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SFjohn

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
500,000 times $3,499 is just $1.7495 billion. Not a big thing by Apple standards. Far away from being the "next iPhone".
The first iPhone didn't sell all that well by the way. It'll take a 2nd or 3rd gen, a cheaper model, and a bit of social proofing because we kind of have no idea about the experience this device can give us.

I wonder if it's really going to be an M2 chip inside ? Or M3 ?

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
500,000 times $3,499 is just $1.7495 billion. Not a big thing by Apple standards. Far away from being the "next iPhone".
iPhone wasn't a huge hit right away and wasn't available to everyone at first. It was behind Blackberry and Motorola Razr in sales in the US. I wanted the original iPhone but it was locked to contracts. I didn't get my first iPhone (3G) until September 2008 when it went on sale for PAYG.

I do think the headset will be a harder sell but there is still lots of potential for it. It's just going to take time. Apple is already thinking of the 2nd gen headset so it seems they just want to get this thing out the door to get the ball rolling. Like the iPhone, it's going to take a good few years worth of hardware revisions and software updates before it becomes worth thinking about for the mass market. Remember you had to jailbreak your iPhone to get copy & paste functionality until iPhone OS 3 came out ... 2 years after the first iPhone.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021
This seems hard to believe. I feel like that’s a very short amount of time to have consumers clear on what this product is and why they need it.
Given the low volumes of shipments, it would not be desirable for Apple to create high demand since it would create a frustrated consumer base.

I suspect Apple will be content with selling to cash-rich early adopters which will (1) give them valuable real-world real-user feedback, and (2) buy Apple time to iterate on the product and produce something mass marketable.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Keep in mind that the original iPhone sold its first million units in an order of 2 1/2 months, and within a year it only sold 6.1 million units.
Meanwhile, the iPhone 5C and 5S sold 9 million units… In a single weekend.

And now they’ve went from selling 6 million phones a year to 220,000,000+ phones a year.

While I’m under no impression they’re anywhere close to selling 220 million headsets in a year, it’s quite possible they could get into selling the 20 million or so units that they do with the Mac

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Keep in mind that the original iPhone sold its first million units in an order of 2 1/2 months, and within a year it only sold 6.1 million units.
Meanwhile, the iPhone 5C and 5S sold 9 million units… In a single weekend.

And now they’ve went from selling 6 million phones a year to 220,000,000+ phones a year.

While I’m under no impression they’re anywhere close to selling 220 million headsets in a year, it’s quite possible they could get into selling the 20 million or so units that they do with the Mac
Why are there so many apologists for Apple? Not everything is a hit.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Amazing its about to get here, totally expect it to sell in low numbers - but would expect that no matter who made it. Still thinking this is something to get the software base rolling and tweaking things for glasses many years down the road (which could potentially sell), but we'll see.

Reactions: xmach and valleian

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Why are there so many apologists for Apple? Not everything is a hit.
It’s not about being an apologist, it’s about being realistic.
It’s also about the fact that there really is no room for this product to be a flop or a hit, because they’re literally going to sell about as many as they can make.
We probably won’t have anywhere close to a picture of if this product is successful or not for several years, and by then the supply will have gone up in the costs will have come down.

The original iPod, which was at least twice the price of most competition, Mac only, firewire only and without the iTunes Store, today would be considered a “flop” by people here.
But once they switched it to USB and introduced iTunes to Windows and introduce the iTunes music Store and created cheaper and more expensive versions… It took off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.