Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
I still don't get it. If Apple did not want to promote Google, fine, they should have an alternative that works just as well, if not better. If they have an alternative that's not good enough many ways, why would they just sit on it and not rapidly improve?

And more than anything, asking users who are unhappy with the product to go to Google, is in itself a massive endorsement of Google's product - negating the whole point of the project...

Have Patience. Try Apple Maps once. Its not bad as you think! ;)

fongkahchun86

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2010
Problem in the correction, not UI or turn-by-turn

Bing maps are absolute rubbish. They are just plain fugly not just on retina displays but on every other website that sleeps with MS as well (weather channel). I really like Google Maps. Their response in fixing errors is usually no more than 48 hours. And I get a personal email. There is a street parallel to mine, that has been wrong on Apple maps forever. Google was wrong too, they fixed it immediately, Apple nope. Despite the frequent fix button I press, nothing. Eventually I emailed Tim Cook saying this is truly awful how this is being handled. While I didn't get a response from him, he did forward it to the appropriate personnel and they apologised but it has been still several months and while if I do reply back I do get a response I get the usual politician-like canned response that doesn't answer anything.

Totally agreed. I've provide correction through the feedback button, but no changes was done. One of it was the name of a street was repeated 10km away from the actual street. The other was to update Apple my dad's business location was outdated years before iOS map was available. Yet, Apple did not update anything at all. Crowdsourcing is a great way to rectify any mistake but Apple is not taking it seriously. Now, I don't bother to provide any more feedback.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Totally agreed. I've provide correction through the feedback button, but no changes was done. One of it was the name of a street was repeated 10km away from the actual street. The other was to update Apple my dad's business location was outdated years before iOS map was available. Yet, Apple did not update anything at all. Crowdsourcing is a great way to rectify any mistake but Apple is not taking it seriously. Now, I don't bother to provide any more feedback.

Agreed, and I find it annoying that Apple didn't invest in people to do this. They had spare cash and there were lots of unemployed during the recession, so they would have been able to do this cheaply. Instead they treated Maps as a tick-box exercise. So to my mind, the question is this: Is Maps just a marketing ploy or does Apple intend to develop it properly? If it is the former, then it is a bad sign that the ethos of providing high-quality customer experience at Apple is waning.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
Have Patience. Try Apple Maps once. Its not bad as you think! ;)

The thing is, you guys recommending Apple Maps happen to live in areas where Apple Maps is usable. For many people this is simply not the case. I'd love to use stuff like Reminders Geofencing and Calendar Transit Time (for OS X) but the Maps are simply missing giant chunks of information. I'm not even talking about POIs which are simply nonexistent.

Some of the locations' names are in my country's native language, some are only in English, others still are bafflingly absent... it's useless.

uhaas

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2012
Boston, MA
It's a developer's conference

It's a developer's conference. We don't need to see each and ever new iOS 8 feature there.

1. It could be pulled waiting for product release in the fall as an exciting surprise.
  2. it also has the potential to piss a 3rd party transit app developer off. Not exactly nice to hear at the conference the app you've been developing is now useless.

Maybe it's not ready and will come later, but maybe it is and we'll see it with the GM in the fall. It's not the launch.

Did developers need new APIs for it, likely not.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
I've never experienced a problem with Apple Maps. I've used it from NJ to Georgia and even in some remote areas where I would have expected problems. However, I still prefer to use my Garmin. When I've tried using them side by side they give the same directions. Anyway, Apple maps are not that important to me when compared to other iOS features.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
While Apple Maps certainly isn't perfect, it's not horrible either. I have taken a few trips up to New England over the past year. In my opinion, the app has made me second guess itself. For example, I was driving on I-95 while driving to Maine, and it had me get off the highway, stay on secondary roads for a little while, then had me get back on (there were no reported accidents on the highway). My fiance and I were looking at each and wondering why the heck the app told us to exit the highway, only to put us back on 5-6 miles later. She double checked her iPhone and she didn't see any accidents or heavy highway congestion.

I still have Google Maps installed on my phone as a fail safe. Although I rarely use it.

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
Would be nice if they gave the user the ability to set defaults, then the truth would be told.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Well then, to answer your question: some people still do use Apple maps.
Just as some people still ask stupid questions about it.

Ok then there we go, an answer. And I am quite shocked by it! Shocked even more when there are so many better options out there. Because of that, it wasn't a stupid question, instead it was a basic question about a stupid decision.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
While Apple Maps certainly isn't perfect, it's not horrible either. I have taken a few trips up to New England over the past year. In my opinion, the app has made me second guess itself. For example, I was driving on I-95 while driving to Maine, and it had me get off the highway, stay on secondary roads for a little while, then had me get back on (there were no reported accidents on the highway). My fiance and I were looking at each and wondering why the heck the app told us to exit the highway, only to put us back on 5-6 miles later. She double checked her iPhone and she didn't see any accidents or heavy highway congestion.

I still have Google Maps installed on my phone as a fail safe. Although I rarely use it.

i've had google maps make me do the same thing

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Google Maps for iOS has had vector maps since 2012.

That was after Apple removed its default Google Maps and replaced it with their own. Then Google made Google Maps a separate downloadable app which finally made vector maps availible after the fact.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Ok then there we go, an answer. And I am quite shocked by it! Shocked even more when there are so many better options out there.

You are forgetting something very important here. You don't get to decide what is better for others, except for yourself. What you may find it very unreliable and useless, may be very good and useful for some others.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
You are forgetting something very important here. You don't get to decide what is better for others, except for yourself. What you may find it very unreliable and useless, may be very good and useful for some others.

Or it may just be magically good for you. I hope you're taking your own advice and actually not speaking for others, as well.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Or it may just be magically good for you. I hope you're taking your own advice and actually not speaking for others, as well.

Sure I am not. But you would be utterly stupid if you think I am the only one who use it or like it (since the silly question on the front)
By the way, it doesn't have to be magical for me to use it. If it simply does what I need to be done, in the way I need it to be done for my needs, then I use it. We are different and our needs are different, please try to open your mind and understand that.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Sure I am not. But you would be utterly stupid if you think I am the only one who use it or like it (since the silly question on the front)
By the way, it doesn't have to be magical for me to use it. If it simply does what I need to be done, in the way I need it to be done for my needs, then I use it. We are different and our needs are different, please try to open your mind and understand that.

My mind is fully open. I'm just enjoying seeing how long and passionately you will continue to defend this less than stellar piece of software that Apple fell short on (feel free to read Tim Cook's public apology on it at https://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/) Even better yet, find Scott Forstall and ask him why he was released.

By the way, I never said the software itself was magical, only that perhaps it's good for you due to a magical intervention.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
My mind is fully open. I'm just enjoying seeing how long and passionately you will continue to defend this less than stellar piece of software that Apple fell short on (feel free to read Tim Cook's public apology on it at https://www.apple.com/letter-from-tim-cook-on-maps/) Even better yet, find Scott Forstall and ask him why he was released.

By the way, I never said the software itself was magical, only that perhaps it's good for you due to a magical intervention.

That letter apology from Tim was over 2 years ago and Apples maps is arguably improved. I am not defending it and I am not saying its perfect. All I am saying is that I find quite amusing silly rhetoric questings like the one you made. Just because Apples maps may not be good for you, or you prefer alternative ones, you seem to think that the entire world spins around you and all the people living in it share the same opinion,needs or preferences! We'll, the truth may just surprise you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.