Lack of Silver and Gold stock unacceptable

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marddin, Sep 20, 2013.

1. marddin macrumors 6502

I waited since 3am at my local AT&T store for them to tell me at 7:30am that they only had space grey 5S's. My brother proceeded with a space grey but I did not. Drove to my local Apple store for them to tell me the same thing. There was a minimal line.

It makes absolutely no sense why they would release the 5S without supply to back it up. I knew we were in for trouble when they didn't have pre orders for 5S. Obvious that they couldn't make them fast enough.

I totally understand the tactic of limiting supply to create the illusion of demand but Apple has gone to far on this one. I am a very disappointed loyal apple customer.

2. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Apple did not do this on purpose. There isn't a bunker in Arizona with 5 million iPhones in it. If they had them, they would sell them. They already have a buzz and they didn't need to create more.

This is definitely the worst stock scenario I can remember for an iPhone launch though. Pretty sad overall.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think they were limiting the inventory on purpose, but rather only produced so much and then then having to give each carrier/retail store the phones meant that they only had so many.

Personally, I would have woke up at 3:00am, ordered online and then wait for the delivery. That's just me, since I don't really want to wait in lines like that.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

And can you even imagine the hue and cry...the massive pissing and moaning...the wild complaining of astronomical proportions, if Apple had delayed launch for, say, a week!:eek:

5. Rocko1, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2013

Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

The greatest part of this is, Apple could give a rats ass about what you find acceptable. :D

6. Tammster macrumors 6502

Tammster

I saw about 30 people posting about that yesterday (their AT&T rep told them) so I wasn't surprised. I did go to my AT&T store early but, knowing what I did, if I wanted a gold or silver I definitely would have tried the Apple store instead.

7. campingsk8er macrumors 6502

Um, yeah, I waited for 14 hours (from 6PM last night), was first in line, and was at the Apple Store, and I didn't get the one I wanted. Out of the 200-300 iPhones they had, they only had ONE gold model. 64GB for AT&T. Of course what I wanted was 32GB Gold for Verizon. I wasn't going to wait there all that time and not get anything, so I decided to get the Space Grey (I was coming from the Silver 5, so I wanted a change-up). I will be going to the store EVERY single day until October 20th (The day my return period is over) at opening so I can try to get my gold one.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why didn't you just get the 64gb one, its the right color, just more storage.

9. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Does the apple store get any more stock thru the day today or when do they typically get shipments?

10. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Ordering online is the only way to guarantee you get the exact phone that you want.

11. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

There are way more people who will begrudgingly buy a Space Gray than will begrudgingly buy a gold phone.

That's simple math on Apple's part. Sucks it didn't work out for you.

12. iproductsuser macrumors 6502a

Wrong carrier

13. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Gold is a very bold color option and Apple played it safe with not over shipping it. That makes sense.

OP, I am sorry you feel this is unacceptable. You deserve everything you want and Apple should provide. The nerve!!!

14. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

just not the time these people want since they absolutely cannot wait another week or so. :rolleyes:

15. silentbob007 macrumors regular

I understand the snarkyness, but generally companies to try to make customers happy. It is not as if Apple is providing for free.

16. marddin thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the typical generic responses lol.

17. apple.pseudofan macrumors regular

Looks like it was the wrong carrier for him.

18. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

I seriously can't believe you went at 3am!

I understand the excitement, but that's nuts! As with all the other people who camp out!

19. iKidWare macrumors member

Not over shipping? Are you serious right now? Over shipping? Try NOT SHIPPING AT ALL. I myself waited 8hrs in line. Gold was 1st option, silver was 2nd. I was first in line, I left with a space grey. 0 gold and 0 silver, OP is 100% right, it is totally unacceptable...

20. richpuer macrumors 6502

Was this at an aapl store?

21. Allport1954 macrumors member

Yup. Pretty much the same story here, except I wanted the 32GB Gold AT&T and I settled for the Space Grey.

22. drnen macrumors regular

23. iKidWare macrumors member

AT&T. It doesn't matter where it was at regardless. Licensed apple carriers, especially AT&T/Verizon/sprints should have FULL variety at launch. How can you be such a profitable company and FAIL to deliver on DAY1!!!! I can understand 10 of each color, maybe even 5 of each color, but ZERO of 2 out of the 3 colors???.....

24. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i showed up at 745am all they had was space grey. I went with space grey even though i wanted white. it looks pretty badass. throwback to the original iphone.

25. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yes, they did.

Creating the impression of scarcity, desirability on the feeble minded. It's smart. It'll work for ~month.