Laptops free of Windows bloatware?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by niploteksi, Jun 11, 2017.

1. raqball macrumors 68000

Well said and I am in full agreement.. It's easier to blame and bash the system or the OS for doing exactly what it's told to do than to take personal accountability for the inexperience that caused said result..

Again agree... My X1 Carbon came with zero bloat! It had a few live tile placeholders to the app store that I removed in like 11 seconds flat...

I spent about 15 minutes total getting it all setup to my liking. No bloat, Cortana off (personal preference) and other items I didn't want removed. Not a singe blue screen nor issue since..

2. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

[/QUOTE]

Read: bloatware. Self extracting and installing full applets.. taking up space.. network bandwidth..
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    Read: bloatware. Self extracting and installing full applets.. taking up space.. network bandwidth..[/QUOTE]

Inexperience?...for an expert you're wrong an awful lot. You've never met me and know nothing of my technical ability other than your negative assumptions.

3. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I wouldn't call those bloatware. Bloatware is apps which are installed and startup automatically such that they're a bugger to disable. Apple generally doesn't run any of those apps except iTunes when you connect an iphone. The Apple model is the correct model being free of bloat.

4. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

They turn into these live tiles in some cases, always bugging you and wasting process to tell you things you don't want until disabled. And even then many are uninstallable.. like Mixed Reality Portal etc. It's a disaster.

Yes!!! You get it! Apple do avoid bloat. I'm sure it's one of the specific things they sit down and try to weed out before a release. It's their attention to detail and high regard for the user experience. Raqball and Queen6 tend to dismiss these known facts about Apple.. it's shocking.

At least with iTunes you can set it to disable when the iPhone is connected.

5. raqball macrumors 68000

Technically speaking you are correct.. I should have labeled them as crapware instead..

The discussion over several different threads has been pre-installed apps and programs that are unwanted..

6. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Chess has been shipped since the days of NeXT Step. It's not hurting anybody and is very small. Check out the following list to see how lean Mac OS really is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_macOS_components
    10.4 shipped with a few 3rd party apps
    • Omni Outliner
    • Big Bang Board Games
    • Comic Life
    This stuff wasn't bloat either but excellent apps.

7. raqball macrumors 68000

I would NOT call that lean... Whole lotta junk, crap and bloat on that list..

You say Chess is not hurting anyone and I agree but using that analogy the placeholders to Windows apps are similar.. As a matter of fact they would be less and they are simply placeholders and nothing more whereas Chess is a full fledged program taking up space..

8. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Nah, Mac OS is really lean. It's cool so chill.

9. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Additionally, OS X is free. Windows is not.

10. raqball macrumors 68000

You don't really believe that do you?

False! You buy a Mac and it comes with macOS... You buy a PC and it comes with Win 10.... How is mac free and windows not? LOL

11. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

It's not just him. I work extensively in Linux, BSD Unix, Windows, Solaris. And Mac is very lean.

That said, Windows 10 is better in the lean department than previous versions. Still it isn't as lean as Mac OS X.
    Try upgrading your Windows to the next version. The only reason 10 was free was how bad 8 was.

12. raqball macrumors 68000

LOL... If you say so.. Why don't you take a gander at macOS resources and compare that to a Win 10 machine then come back and tell me again how lean it is....

13. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

LOL if you say so. I already have.

Although no one compares to BSD Unix without a GUI. ;)

14. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

From the point of view of extraneous apps which are not core to the Mac OS, there aren't really that many, are there?

15. eltoslightfoot macrumors 6502a

eltoslightfoot

Remember the days when we had to pay for iWork and iLife? Good times.

16. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    That's the crux of it, these small apps have zero impact in either OS, it's the heavyweight & intrusive app's that some OEM's ship with their systems. I get why they do it as a function business, equally not welcomed in my book.

Personally I would prefer if both Apple & Microsoft shipped their system with just the core OS with the rest downloadable, equally I don't perceive either being over the top, of course that flips on it's head with some Windows OEM' s. Always recommended a clean install of Windows as then the OS generally present little issue to user.

Just quickly looked at the W10 system, it has a couple of small games from MS, which I just left, the rest is in use as functional exactly same as this rMBP, and certainly anything outside of core functionality can be uninstalled on W!0 Pro - 1703. Same as the Mac's what I don't need is installed barring the odd small app here & there,

Q-6

17. raqball macrumors 68000

So explain what a Win 10 signature edition machine comes with that's considered bloat... What extraneous apps and programs are pre installed on a signature edition PC..
    Yeah I actually purchased that garbage several years ago.. I also paid like $100 a year for my @mac.com email address.. That's not so bad as I still use it..

18. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Yeah... every time a user presses Start on Windows they're bombarded with an army of unwelcome, unobtrusive app tiles wasting their process power... wasting their network bandwidth downloading photos .. news.. thumbnails of utter nonsense that they did not ask for nor approve of. This is as standard.

NOTHING as standard on OSX wastes resources of the processor, network, or graphics without the user at the very least needing to click on it and proceed to configure the app for the first time.

Face it. You're wrong. And I'm glad people are chipping in to make this point too. It's a valid one.

Signature Edition still has the start menu. Go figure.

19. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Does it ship with the ad engine that shows advertisements in the Start menu like other Windows 10 builds? Note, this is with my own non-OEM Win10 license, no less!

20. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Business baby :p Cost of macOS is built into the price of every new Mac, that's given. Simply a different approach to achieve the same outcome, and an aspect to the cost of Apple...

Q-6

21. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Having had to use Windows lately.. I'd happily pay for similar apps on Windows.. if they existed! It's either over simplified non-functioning clones of Mac like apps or multi-hundred £ Adobe professional apps which are way over complicated for the average consumer. Hats off to Apple for firstly developing those great apps, let alone giving them away with macOS! :)
    Uhm... built into the price of every Mac: Unlimited, free access to macOS forever.

Built into Windows PCs.. A license for THIS Windows 10. When Windows 11 or 12 or whatever the hell they call it comes out it'll likely be a £119 upgrade like Windows 10 is to Windows 7 users.

22. raqball macrumors 68000

I don't get any ads whatsoever... I did spend like 15 seconds though and disable the suggestions...

23. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

OEMs and Microsoft have differing agendas. An OEM keeps the price low by bundling bloat as vendors pay for the bloat to be installed. I think others have nailed it, install a fresh copy of the full Win10 onto your computer to be majorly free of the bloat. You could also try Linux if you want a rich experience of how computing should be.

24. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

No, however there is an option to show suggestions from the store if you want.

Q-6

25. raqball macrumors 68000

Didn't MS say Win 10 is the last version and form here on out it would just be free updates? Looks like MS is taking a similar approach..