Laptops free of Windows bloatware?

Queen6

macrumors 604
I checked specs and soldered memory in PC laptop ? wow, thats's something new? or they follow blindly behind Microsoft or Apple ?

soldered DDR4 not impressive
Majority of thin & light (Ultrabooks) RAM is soldered these days, nor is it a big deal with many users not needing beyond 8Gb RAM. Some can be specified with 16Gb and there still remains other options with user upgradable RAM. Why? Likely production cost and to a lesser extent power draw.

All notebooks are compromised, however on the Windows side there is a vasty array to choose from therefore there should be little angst...

Q-6
[doublepost=1507103005][/doublepost]
Politely, that does not matter for what I need to do. YMMV.
Just needs to be good enough for the job at hand, with a little in reserve. No point spending more on something you'll never use or need, especially given how fast hardware is advancing.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Majority of thin & light (Ultrabooks) RAM is soldered these days, nor is it a big deal with many users not needing beyond 8Gb RAM. Some can be specified with 16Gb and there still remains other options with user upgradable RAM. Why? Likely production cost and to a lesser extent power draw.

All notebooks are compromised, however on the Windows side there is a vasty array to choose from therefore there should be little angst...

Q-6
[doublepost=1507103005][/doublepost]

Just needs to be good enough for the job at hand, with a little in reserve. No point spending more on something you'll never use or need, especially given how fast hardware is advancing.

Q-6

Exactly.

I went well over my needs with the first two attempts last week, and this Acer does exactly what I need it to do: help me learn Windows Office 365 and get up to speed on Win10. So far, so good.

For me, whatever works best for the individual is just fine.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors 604
Exactly.

I went well over my needs with the first two attempts last week, and this Acer does exactly what I need it to do: help me learn Windows Office 365 and get up to speed on Win10. So far, so good.

For me, whatever works best for the individual is just fine.
Well it's simply prudent, you don't need a lot of resources to run MS Office unless your going massively into Excel, and given your just testing the water more so. Same here my "Heavy Lifter" doesn't have all the absolute fastest components, as I also want it run cool and quiet under basic productivity loads such as MS Office, equally should the likes of storage prove to be slower than desired I can push write speeds past 3.5K with twin M.2 SSD's in RAID and a third in reserve. That said Faster always equally hotter and I see no need to spend out, just quote numbers.

I like music and I like quality reproduction, when working on a project the very last thing I want is continuous excessive fan noise, when the time comes to run calculations/simulations I want the notebook to literally tear through the data as fast as possible and be done with it :)

What counts with me is how much "edge" the notebook offers as at the end of the day they are generating revenue...

Q-6

Reactions: kazmac

kazmac

macrumors 604
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Well it's simply prudent, you don't need a lot of resources to run MS Office unless your going massively into Excel, and given your just testing the water more so. Same here my "Heavy Lifter" doesn't have all the absolute fastest components, as I also want it run cool and quiet under basic productivity loads such as MS Office, equally should the likes of storage prove to be slower than desired I can push write speeds past 3.5K with twin M.2 SSD's in RAID and a third in reserve. That said Faster always equally hotter and I see no need to spend out, just quote numbers.

I like music and I like quality reproduction, when working on a project the very last thing I want is continuous excessive fan noise, when the time comes to run calculations/simulations I want the notebook to literally tear through the data as fast as possible and be done with it :)

What counts with me is how much "edge" the notebook offers as at the end of the day they are generating revenue...

Q-6
Sound thinking, as always. :)

I do not like my computers to run hot either, and given the gpu in my Acer, video conversions and such are out of the question. Given the specs, I knew that going in. That is what my iMac is for.

I am weeks away from plunging deep into Excel, but good so far.

Thanks as always for your experiences and recommendations. Will keep an eye on them.

Back to spreadsheet land. :D