Laptops free of Windows bloatware?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by niploteksi, Jun 11, 2017.

1. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Yeah.. that totally makes it okay like......

Definitely.. shouldn't be considered as a TERRIBLE thing for the end user.. or anything like that.

Of course, you see it as acceptable for a user to spend the first hour of their new PC disabling a tonne of stuff before actually having a good experience. And you still let on that it's better or equal to a Mac?

Have you ever used a Mac?
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    It's not free when monetised ads are placed throughout the system, in the users face and they are being bombarded with 3rd party apps .. shortcuts .. sponsored content.. Particularly when it gets in the way of their work.

2. raqball macrumors 68000

I am a LONG time Linux user and actually dual boot into it most of the time.. Linux comes with it's fair share of junk, bloat and crap as well depending on which Distro one chooses..

3. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

It sounds like you're in agreement. Mac OS is very lean and Windows machines from Microsoft comes a close second. Avoid OEM cheap Windows laptops if you don't want bloat, or install Linux/Win10 retail.

4. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Yes and you pay for that upfront, one of the factors of the higher price point of a Mac. Same as if you buy a more premium or business system with Windows 10 Pro.

Q-6

5. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Which distros are those?

6. raqball macrumors 68000

Agree! The cheap Windows laptops are loaded to the hilt...

7. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Though ALL Windows as most users experience is are filled with a reasonably large amount of crap..

8. raqball macrumors 68000

Any of the Ubuntu variations. openSuse, Fedora... Their consumer versions ALL have what I consider junk, bloat and / or crapware...

9. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

My personal opinion is MS will look to monitorize the low end OS add' sponsored SW etc. and the higher versions will be captured in the price of the hardware to allow cheap PC's to remain viable.

Q-6

10. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Fragmentation. Great, another reason why macOS will continue to be a superior user experience.

11. raqball, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2017

raqball macrumors 68000

That would make the most sense for them.. Apple does not sell cheap machines so it's easier for them to just bake the cost of macOS into the pricing of all their offerings..

12. SB-MBP, Jun 21, 2017

SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

M$ have always put money before user satisfaction. It's why the Mac continues to soar in ratings vs. The experience we refer to as Windows 10. Which you have actually admitted depends on your degree to bash into shape suitable to a smooth experience..

13. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Mac OS updates are generally financed from iOS updates as the code base is the same. In other words, the cost of the Mac OS development footprint is tiny compared to Windows so the cost of the OS to a Mac user is not much at all.

14. raqball macrumors 68000

Source?

15. SB-MBP, Jun 21, 2017

SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Good point, should probably first go back and answer his question regarding which Distro's you believe are shipped with 'bloatware'..

And perhaps backing up all the things you said to me...

16. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

I would imagine so, it makes sense as Apple in the business of making money and software development is not cheap by any means. dogslobber my very well have a good point regarding IOS, not my realm, equally makes sense.

Q-6

17. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

18. raqball macrumors 68000

The reason I ask for a source is because we always hear in the mac forum claims that Apple has significant R&D into the machines and the OS...

Just want to read a credible source that proves they don't..

19. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

@Queen6
    I feel a little less sympathy for you now, at least it's somewhat worth your while!

20. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Not everything is a source on the internet. That's why I quote to you "Apple Software Engineering".

21. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

They'll ignore every good point you make.. I've been witnessing this across multiple threads in the Alternatives to Mac section this past week.

22. raqball macrumors 68000

Interesting... In other words their is none?

I agree that some is overlap but Apple does have significant resources they put into macOS...

23. dogslobber, Jun 21, 2017

dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

You can run Win10 on a core 2 duo system with 2GB of memory and a spinner. Mac OS Sierra simply struggles on such a system. Mac OS is definitely better designed and superior but Win10 is less bloated in the core libraries of the OS, IMO. I applaud Microsoft for what they did with Win10 system requirements. Apple really could learn from it.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 21, 2017 ---
    I've provided you with a position and source for how the OS at Apple is developed. It's up to you if you want to continue with your heresy.

24. raqball macrumors 68000

You've provided nothing that proves your point or disproves mine.. Are you claiming that Apple does not spend significant resources on macOS?

25. SB-MBP Suspended

SB-MBP

Windows 10 is great in that it's there for when a Mac isn't. It has some applications and uses the Mac doesn't.

But for Mac users, other than work.. a second computer as a hobby or backup.. I strongly recommend not moving back, at all bearable costs.

As we know, the Mac is superior and better designed. Why give it up?!

These guys are ignoring it's obvious flaws to the user forgetting that their experience is one of the number one aspects of a consumer product and how it works..