Large price drops on 2010 models on refurb site

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Buck987, Feb 24, 2011.

1. rwingscup19 macrumors newbie

Can't decide

I'm not sure if I get more for my money by getting the 2.66ghz 15", with 500GB and HD/Anti-glare off the refurb site, or by getting the 2.0 or 2.2 ghz quad core. Will there be a big difference in computing power and/or how long before it will be obsolete?

2. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

You could end up with a new machine, rather than a refurb.

It could be a good idea to ring Apple, instead of ordering on the web. In my experience the sales staff can be incredibly helpful. Actually, the one sales staff member, who I always asked for, was incredibly helpful.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

That is a great deal on the 2010 15" for only $1,269. It is so low it looks like a mistake since the slower and older 2009 2.8Ghz C2D costs almost $200 more at $1,439.

I just bought the base 2010 15" model 3 months ago for about $500 more so perhaps for the next refresh I will buy the 2011 model refurb and save a bundle

4. Ohnevah macrumors newbie

I was thinking of getting the 15 inch i5 refurb anyone thinks it's better than the new release of the 13" disregarding the size? Or is thuderbolt worth the 13" even though the graphic card is a little downgraded??

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Disregarding size, I think the 15" refurb is a great value. The graphics card really helps for some things. Besides, what can you do with Thunderbolt right now??? Not much you can connect it to.

Also, consider value. A refurb 15" for that price can be sold a year form now for close to what you paid but a new 13" will be worth much less than you paid. So if you buy one now and sell later your total cost for this year would be less leaving you more money to upgrade next year when the new and improve, Ivy Bridge CPU's will be out. Something to consider. Refurbs are always the best value.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

They have the 15" for under $1300. I would so buy that.

7. Ohnevah macrumors newbie

thats why i was thinking too, good call, that thunderbolt JUST came out...not much to do with it so far...as far as specs go...can you say that the 15 > than the 13 inch? even with sandybridge at the low end 13inch? I really plan on buying it tommorow...

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Those are some awesome deals. I need to sell my computer first but I hope it moves fast now that I looked again. Thanks for the link.

9. Ohnevah macrumors newbie

Sorry I forgot to add...anyone know if the education discount applies on refurb macbooks?

10. rwingscup19 macrumors newbie

Sadly no discounts on the refurbs. I tried that trick already.

11. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Sadly not.

12. Ohnevah macrumors newbie

I think im going to get the 15inch. I figure...it may be more powerful than the new 13inch and hope it'll still last me in the following years and right now I might have no use for thunderbolt and other than that I don't see what makes the 13inch much better. If you guys know anything, please feel free to point it out.

13. trip1ex, Feb 24, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2011

trip1ex macrumors 68000

I bought the 15" refurb as soon as the store reopened.

Seemed like the sweetspot.

Much much cheaper than new 15". And I could add SSD, still have a few hundred dollars in the pocket and probably have a better computing experience than new.

Also it is similarly priced yet more for your money than new 13".

Last, it is low risk. Chances you can sell this for about what you paid for it in the next 6-9 months seem rather high. I always feel good about selling Macs when they have some of the Applecare warranty left. peace of mind for buyer and seller.

14. Ohnevah macrumors newbie

quick question...its impossible to upgrade macbooks after you buy em?

15. trip1ex macrumors 68000

not as far as hard drive or memory goes.

16. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Memory and Hard drive are user upgradable. They even tell you how to do it in the included guide but I would check out a video. RAM takes about 10 minutes from start to finish, tops - I'v done it. Hard drive may take closer to 20 minutes and you may need the right screwdrivers.

Also, if you are getting a new hard drive then consider getting Carbon Copy Cloner. Just clone your drive and then swap - this is the easiest and faster way. CCC is also a great backup software - I use it as do many others

17. rwingscup19 macrumors newbie

Noooooooo

Just tried to buy the 2.4 i5 15" refurb, clicked add to cart, and now its gone. I guess I just waited to long. Crap.

Edit: It was going to be my first Mac too...double craps

18. Buck987 thread starter macrumors 6502a

check back...there will be more

good luck

19. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

On this note, if you ordered anything from the refurbished store recently and the price has since dropped, call Apple and inquire about a refunded price difference. I got almost $300 credited back to me on a recent MBP purchase.

20. Buck987 thread starter macrumors 6502a

good info...thanks...best bang for the buck the refurbs...

21. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Actually forget what I said about getting a new machine. With the stories of dwindling stocks heralding the refresh, I realised I could be wrong.

22. john1620b macrumors member

Does anyone have any actual experience with Apple's refurb machines? I'm generally pretty skeptical about purchasing refurbs, but I haven't heard about Apple's one way or another.

23. Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    I've purchased a 13" MBP and a few iPods refurbished, all looked like brand new and worked perfectly.

24. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Search around this site. Most people who buy refurbs love them. I haven't bought a new computer in ages. I bought my late 2009 Mini refurb last year, and it has been great. I could not tell it apart from the new model. My Powerbook was also refurbed. They even have the one year warranty and are eligible for extended Applecare. I have also purchased three refurbed iPods, and they all looked brand new.