Last-Minute Apple Event Rumors: No Two-Way Charging on iPhones, 10.2-Inch iPad Expected, and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Just hours ahead of today's Apple Event at Steve Jobs Theater, where the company is slated to unveil new iPhone and Apple Watch models, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has shared several last-minute expectations.

First, Gurman has revised his prediction for the names of the 2019 iPhones. He now expects the next iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max to be called the iPhone 11, iPhone Pro, and iPhone Pro Max respectively. He previously expected the lineup to include the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro in two sizes.

Updated prediction: iPhone 11, iPhone Pro, iPhone Pro Max. https://t.co/pymVRR3dcQ - Mark Gurman (@markgurman) September 10, 2019

Second, he expects Apple to unveil a new 10.2-inch iPad today, with previous rumors suggesting it will be a replacement for the $329 lower-end 9.7-inch iPad. Pricing and other details remain to be seen.

Didn't say this would be called a "One more thing." It's a one more thing is in the sense that this is the "other thing" coming. - Mark Gurman (@markgurman) September 10, 2019

Third, Gurman has backed analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's report that the widely rumored device-to-device charging feature on 2019 iPhones has been canceled. In a research note seen by MacRumors, Kuo said the feature has possibly been abandoned because "the charging efficiency may not meet Apple's requirements."

2019 iPhones were rumored to feature a Qi-based device-to-device charging feature allowing for an Apple Watch, AirPods, and other accessories to charge on the back of the iPhones, similar to Wireless PowerShare on the Galaxy S10.

Wireless PowerShare on Samsung's Galaxy S10

Apple's keynote begins at 10 a.m. Pacific Time. Apple will provide a live stream on its website, through its Apple Events app for the Apple TV, and even on YouTube for the first time. MacRumors will have up-to-the-minute coverage of all of Apple's announcements on our website and via @MacRumorsLive on Twitter.

Article Link: Last-Minute Apple Event Rumors: No Two-Way Charging on iPhones, 10.2-Inch iPad Expected, and More

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
If there is a 10.2” iPad, I can also see them mentioning the iPad Pro. “We also updated the iPad Pro with a new processor and camera”

Reactions: HappyIntro

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
www.halloween.com
I guess we'll know for sure in bit over 3.5 hours. It will be interesting to see if there is a compelling reason to upgrade this year. From the rumors so far, for me, the answer is not this year.

The only thing that piqued my interest so far based on the rumors is the tag (aka "tiles"-type tracker).

My 1 year old iPhone is fine. Apple Watch is fine, although some additional health tracking might be enough to upgrade. My 18 month old iPad is fine. Incremental improvements are important, but non-incremental are what gives people the "must have" upgrade fever (e.g. potentially 5G next year).

Last edited:

Relentless Power

macrumors Penryn
Jul 12, 2016
I think the bilateral charging would’ve been really nice add-on feature for the 2019 iPhone, but if it’s obviously not up to Apple’s standards, then it’s a ‘No go.’ [Kinda like the unforeseen Airpower.]

G5isAlive

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
I shudder to think of the wailing and predictions of doom if a rumored feature (wireless charging) doesn't actually happen. One reason why I dont get overly excited about rumors. I personally don't care if it has it or not. But to some it will be as if their baby was kidnapped. Even though the feature was never official.

DoctorApple

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2017
My phone is constantly low on battery. I would never use it to charge anything else. But with the bi-lateral charging feature missing, I can’t use it to receive power either from another phone, huh?

Relentless Power

macrumors Penryn
Jul 12, 2016
I shudder to think of the wailing and predictions of doom if a rumored feature (wireless charging) doesn't actually happen. One reason why I dont get overly excited about rumors. I personally don't care if it has it or not. But to some it will be as if their baby was kidnapped. Even though the feature was never official.
Wait, what iPhone hardware feature was ever ‘official’ before the keynote? Wouldn’t it be everything that was ‘speculated/rumored’? Nothing was official.

Bulldog Dave

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
I am considering upgrading my x but if that’s all they are adding to the new iPhones I will wait until next year.Not enough of a upgrade to justify the expense. Will have to wait until after the announcement to see.

Mimiron

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2017
Gimme a high-end redesign with 5G that will launch in 2020 and differs from the whole lineup and you have my money. Something like the X. We all know it’s not going to happen. So yeah another boring year from Apple. Keeping my X till 2020.

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
If there is a 10.2” iPad, I can also see them mentioning the iPad Pro. “We also updated the iPad Pro with a new processor and camera”
If they announce a new iPad today it makes sense to upgrade the entire lineup. There is no need to have a separate event just for some upgraded iPads this fall so they can either announce them today or update them with a press release

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne Australia
I think the bilateral charging would’ve been really nice add-on feature for the 2019 iPhone, but if it’s obviously not up to Apple’s standards, then it’s a ‘No go.’ [Kinda like the unforeseen Airpower.]
I think it would just be a gimmick feature like on the Samsung’s. It’s supposedly really slow as is + draining your phone battery that we usually want to last the longest. Also the fact you’d need to keep your phone still facing down is quite an inconvenience and I’d honestly not even use it, unless someone needed an emergency charge..

thecastle

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2017
I am considering upgrading my x but if that’s all they are adding to the new iPhones I will wait until next year.Not enough of a upgrade to justify the expense. Will have to wait until after the announcement to see.
I have a launch day X too. I'm putting a new battery in and wait another year, iOS 13 will bring me some new features. iPhone 11 will be just a small iteration. Not worth upgrading until 2020's iphone.

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
If they announce a new iPad today it makes sense to upgrade the entire lineup. There is no need to have a separate event just for some upgraded iPads this fall so they can either announce them today or update them with a press release
That is my guess as well. Mark Gurman seems to think they will be announcing a new 10.2" iPad. If they also update the iPad Pro's, does that leave October just for the announcement of the new 16" MacBook Pro.

WiseAJ

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Gimme a high-end redesign with 5G that will launch in 2020 and differs from the whole lineup and you have my money. Something like the X. We all know it’s not going to happen. So yeah another boring year from Apple. Keeping my X till 2020.
We are getting something like the X. Exactly like the X but with better specs and another camera!

Reactions: E.Lizardo