Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
For those of us who travel quite a bit it would be nice to stop packing the charger for the watch. It would be really convenient to plug in the phone at night and have it charge my watch at the same time.

Absolutely. Good example you provided how the Apple Watch could be potentially charging off the phone if need be, but having less clutter bringing another charger along when traveling. (Or even the AirPods in this same scenario.)

Reactions: jagolden

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
It's starting to sound like a gas station ED pill at this point.

Super masculine MaxiPhone supplement for maximum TestosterPHONE.

As your cell phone ages, it produces LESS Phone. Less Phone means less performance both in, and out of the bedroom (cue visual of Ultra buff dude, clearly in his early 50's in a muscle shirt lifting a barbell full of iron).

MaxiPhone can make your phone the phone it was before the 2020's (background visual of anorexic looking women with very large breasts caressing 50's muscle shirt dude)

Take YOUR phone.....TO THE MAX!!!!!!

Soddamarre

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
In a vacuum sounds great -but Apple continues to sell previous models for many years and this will bring confusion - and more importantly - next year - what do you name it?

iPhone (Sep 2020 edition)
iPhone Pro (Sep 2020 edition)
iPhone Pro Max (Sep 2020 edition)

Yes, they did a good job confusing everybody with the iPad. Most people don't know what iPad they have. Heck, I don't know what iPad I have, the first one that didn't have "air" in the name, is it gen 6-7 something? what are we at now?

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Where is the innovation??????????

Good question.
I need a new iPhone, but I am not interested in these features at all... and at that price range....pff.... no thanks.
I think my iphone 7 Plus will last one more year.

Also, iPad pro 11 2018 is great as well as the MBP 2018 15 inch core i7 and my Apple Watch 4th gen.
I will be going out for a run and some exercise today and skip the conference... I can read the summaries later.

I do hope they are on track with iOS 13, iPad OS and Catalina though.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Of course I’m just assuming, it would be beneficial (If possible) to charge the AirPods or Apple Watch for a ‘quick charge’. I don’t necessarily need to charge someone else’s phone, but if you could charge accessories like my AirPods, that would’ve been an outstanding feature. I’m sure others are in agreement with that if it was a possibility.

"Outstanding?" Nice, maybe, but in regards to AirPods, the whole point of AirPods cases is that they hold 24 hours of charge, so they provide the "quick charge" for your AirPods, and there's little chance for most people that you need a "quick charge" when you have a case. Maybe for the Apple Watch for travelers as others have pointed out, but AirPods not so much.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Yes, they did a good job confusing everybody with the iPad. Most people don't know what iPad they have. Heck, I don't know what iPad I have, the first one that didn't have "air" in the name, is it gen 6-7 something? what are we at now?

Yep, tried looking for a used iPad the other day, no idea which model I was looking for.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
"Outstanding?" Nice, maybe, but the whole point of AirPods cases is that they hold 24 hours of charge, so they provide the "quick charge" for your AirPods, and there's little chance for most people that you need a "quick charge" when you have a case.

I mean, you’re right, the AirPods do hold a long charge, but I always don’t have the opportunity to charge my AirPods or maybe I forget to, so why not have the opportunity if I can charge my AirPods bilaterally with the phone if need be when my AirPods battery is low. I mean, we live in a world where everything needs to be charged, (Phone/Apple Watch/AirPods), etc. and I personally would find it beneficial top off my AirPods using the phone for say like 15 minutes to accrue extra usage throughout the day without having an extra lightning cable with me [The AirPods with 15 minutes of charging is equivalent to 3 hours of usage]. So that would be an outstanding feature for me, especially for those who travel, like I will be doing here shortly.

offdutyrockstar

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2017
London, England
Massive dealbreaker. Only reason I would have considered upgrading was to charge my Watch on vacation, currently I just dont even bother taking it when I go away somewhere. Roll on 2020.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Having "11" only in the XR successor and not in the Pro would only create confusion. I don't think Apple would do that. They would either have the 11 in all the lineup or scrap the numbers all together.

The numbering helps us in IT dealing with models. It’s easier to look up than the actual device code.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Apple has the audacity to put "by innovation only" on the invitation itself. If all the leaks and rumours are correct, this will be major disappointment and I would question Apple's logic. Either they are becoming disconnected or there is more to come that we don't know about.
Considering that this is also the first year (that I know of) that they have started advertising this event on youtube, I would expect that there is more.

Apple Watch almost no rumours - so big surprise there or just a spec bump?
iPhone - we already know it will be boring unless they reveal a surprise
iPad - boring even if they update iPad Pro (which on the other hand I would welcome as I'm waiting for the structural improvements)
Mac - not happening this event most likely
Apple TV - possible for a surprise but most likely just specs bumps

So, I'm ready to be disappointed but hoping that Apple will surprise us like in the good old days. Otherwise this might be the last time I'm actually watching the keynotes and from this point onward I might just read/watch summary online.

Will Apple really deliver the innovation their invitation seems to 'promise'? Or are they full of themselves?
3 hours and we will find out

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
the whole point of AirPods cases is that they hold 24 hours of charge, so they provide the "quick charge" for your AirPods, and there's little chance for most people that you need a "quick charge" when you have a case. Maybe for the Apple Watch for travelers as others have pointed out, but AirPods not so much.

Imagine using a battery pack to charge your iPhone... which charges your AirPods case... which charges the AirPods.

Batteryception... :p

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
I mean, you’re right, the AirPods do hold a long charge, but I always don’t have the opportunity to charge my AirPods or maybe I forget to, so why not have the opportunity if I can charge my AirPods bilaterally with the phone if need be when my AirPods battery is low. I mean, we live in a world where everything needs to be charged, (Phone/Apple Watch/AirPods), etc. and I personally would find it beneficial top off my AirPods using the phone for say like 15 minutes to accrue extra usage throughout the day without having an extra lightning cable with me. So that would be an outstanding feature for me, especially for those who travel.

I get it, but that's why I said it would be nice and wouldn't hurt to have that feature, but not something people would use very often. If your traveling, you're going to have a lightning charger already that you would use on the plane, hotel, etc., as opposed to having to bring a charger for your watch.

jakja83

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2010
I would love it if they launch something totally unexpected, but these last years the rumors have been pretty much spot on.

locoboi187

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2012
Guys the event is literally less than a few hours away. Instead of guessing or predicting, just wait until the event starts lol

Reactions: Jim Lahey

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
My phone is constantly low on battery. I would never use it to charge anything else. But with the bi-lateral charging feature missing, I can’t use it to receive power either from another phone, huh?

But who wants their phone sucked out of power to give it to you :)? Just a thought.
I’ve always wondered about this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.