Late 2016 MacBook Pro 13" + Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theitsage, Oct 28, 2016.

1. RocketHopper macrumors newbie

2. zone23 macrumors 68000

I'm just wondering how the entry model with the i7 will perform.

3. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Any thoughts on battery life? I'm just wondering how this model with 15w CPU gets 10 hours, and the 29w CPU + oled touchbar + T1 chip gets "10 hours" as well. My thought is that this should be higher...

4. 5iMacs macrumors regular

I'll run some tests on mine (arriving tomorrow) but this does not seem inconsistent to me, based on experience with overclocking and also with analyzing throttling on the 2014 Retina iMacs.

Basically, Intel CPUs can routinely exceed their TDP (in terms of watts consumed) by 10-20% with no mandatory throttling as long as there is sufficient cooling. Since the cooling system in the 2.0GHz base system is the same one that is built to handle the faster and hotter CPUs, there's headroom there both in watts and cooling capacity.

I don't expect the 2.9GHz chip to throttle either, but this is the same scenario as the 2014 iMac, only the hottest CPUs in the same cooling setup will throttle at peak turbo frequency: the i7 did, and the i5 did not.

Lower TDP CPUs should not be regarded as more "sensitive" to heat or hard workloads, it really is just about cooling capacity. I run a few very low power servers with 6W N3150 CPUs that turbo up to their max and stay there indefinitely even though they have fanless heatsinks.

5. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68020

6. 5iMacs macrumors regular

I think it's plausible that they both round to approximately 10 hours because the battery run-down tests are not very CPU intensive. Plus these CPU TDPs are just approximate. An extra 0.2GHz is not going to cost over 50% more power, even from such a low base.

7. theitsage thread starter Suspended

Right around $400 including the RX 470 GPU. It will definitely power a 4K @ 60Hz using DisplayPort.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2016 ---
    Not possible in macOS atm.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I am debating the Akitio Thunder2 vs Thunder3. Any experience with the 3?

9. theitsage thread starter Suspended

Don't buy either. The AKiTiO Node is the one to get. It will be under $300 with a larger enclosure to fit most full size GPUs and has a 400W PSU built-in.

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- The cooling system is actually markedly different in the base model compared to the Touch Bar version.
    Base model has one fan and no air intake slits along the sides. Touch Bar version has two fans and slits along the side.

11. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Its specification sheet clearly states it's incompatible with macOS. Do you think they mean "not tested yet" or is there any inherent problem so that this Node will only function in BootCamp?
    Was it possible on Thunderbolt2 MacBook? How does it work now: internal works using iGPU and external works using eGPU or internal does not work at all? Have you tried it in BootCamp?
    @theitsage, have you ever tried eGPU in MacBook with dGPU? I was intending to buy 15" with iGPU only for eGPU purposes this time but Apple didn't provide such a chance unfortunately...

12. RocketHopper macrumors newbie

What about Windows?

13. nmzik macrumors newbie

Can somebody connect and test TB3 eGPU enclosure (razer core, akitio thunder 3) to non TB3 macbook pro via TB3-TB2 adapter. "As a bidirectional adapter, it can also connect new Thunderbolt 3 devices to a Mac with a Thunderbolt or Thunderbolt 2 port." Wanna buy Akitio Node (TB3 only) now and replace laptop in future

14. 5iMacs macrumors regular

Well that certainly changes things, but are you sure they fit 2 fans into the 13" touch bar version? Even the previous 13" Retina MacBook with more space inside and an hotter CPU only has one fan...

15. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68020

I'm guessing that's a good price comparatively? Can I use this with even a 4K TV? I've often wanted to use my Mac with my TV but the text is not crisp and clear enough.

16. Zackmd1 macrumors 6502a

It will work with the adapter. The adapter is bi-directional. I asked this exact question not to long ago.

17. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yup.

Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 02.51.06.png

http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/

18. 5iMacs macrumors regular

That is a lot of cooling indeed, thanks for the info.

This image indicates that the speaker configuration is also different on the non-touch-bar version, which concerns me...

19. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, they're really quite different machines internally.

20. terminator-jq macrumors 6502

It would be really nice if Apple would officially support E-GPU's within Mac OS. I'm not sure what's holding them back from doing this. In fact, it would be nice to see Apple themselves create a nice E-GPU enclosure...

Maybe as the popularity grows for TB3, we'll see more options for E-GPUs which should get Apples attention. It sure would make the 13" models more useful for Pro users and gamers.

21. inhalexhale1 macrumors 65816

Possible in Bootcamp?

22. theitsage, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

theitsage thread starter Suspended

My guess is AKiTiO doesn't test much with Mac environment. Given how Apple does things, manufacturer support for eGPU is going to be headache.

The way eGPU works in macOS now is that OpenCL app works without the need of an external monitor while OpenGL requires the app to be running on an external monitor through the eGPU.

eGPU works on MBP with dGPU. I tried it with my 17" MBP.

MBP17-eGPU.png
    Optimus internal LCD mode is possible with Nvidia GPUs under Windows. I have not personally tried that though.

It is the most affordable Thunderbolt eGPU solution atm. 4K @ 60Hz is easiest with DisplayPort connection. Connecting a 4K TV through HDMI connection would probably be limited at 4K @ 30Hz.

Corporate greed. Intel has not licensed eGPU to anyone until recently.

23. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68020

So the eGPU will not work on a Mac with only Intel Iris? ... Yeah I'd have to go TB to HDMI to get the 60Hz refresh right?

24. theitsage, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

theitsage thread starter Suspended

Thunderbolt eGPU works with both Intel Iris-only and dGPU-equipped Macs. I haven't tried DisplayPort-HDMI cable to comment whether it would do 4K @ 60Hz. You can read more about this Thunderbolt 2 Radeon RX 470 eGPU build on my blog.

25. cube macrumors P6

I run 4K@60Hz on my MBP 2011 eGPU using a DP->HDMI 2.0 converter. The HDMI 2.0 port should also work.