Late 2016 MacBook Pro 13" + Thunderbolt 3 eGPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theitsage, Oct 28, 2016.

1. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Guys, am I missing anything or you? This page says Node is incompatible with macOS, it will work in BootCamp at best or won't work at all.

2. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Because you have to do some hackery to get eGPU working on macOS.

3. WRONG macrumors 6502a

WRONG

So the Razer Core it's useless on a Mac?
    Good to know.
    Also one need to do some tricks to make eGPU working.
    I suppose it's the same with the 15" MBP?

4. theitsage thread starter Suspended

I don't have the Razer Core but others have tried and said it's not supported. Maybe a firmware update will make it compatible but no certainty on that.

The easiest way to make an eGPU communicate to a Mac in macOS is running automate-eGPU script by goalque. There are tutorials for the manual process as well.

If you consider getting an eGPU, I'd recommend waiting for the AKiTiO Node.

5. rwstgermain macrumors member

It looks like they moved it out of the compatible box BUT one of the techs from the company posted on a forum saying that it was recognized by the new Macbook and with the limiting time they had got it working. They tried the core and it did not work just like everyone else has mentioned. Time will have to tell as it is still too early they prob jumped the gun. As long as it works in Bootcamp then I am happy but I know a lot of people want it to work on MacOS as well.

6. Clint_Barton macrumors 6502

Regarding the Node, that support page had previously shown that it was compatible with the macbook pro, it seems like they have since changed it

7. rwstgermain macrumors member

Uselss on MacOS but works on windows under bootcamp.

8. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

I have an eGPU that I use with a 2014 mini for gaming. It's all I use the mini for and only boots into Windows as I don't need the eGPU in macOS. I just added a 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti to the enclosure and it's running awesome.

I ordered a non-touch bar 13" MBP (16GB RAM/512GB SSD) in the hopes that it will replace my mini and 2012 15" rMBP. Once I get it I'll report back as to how well it works in Windows with my eGPU setup. Hopefully it'll work well and this new MBP can replace my 2016 12" rMB, 2012 15" rMBP, and 2014 mini.

9. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

so do we know for sure if the 2 tb3 ports on the base mbp 13 are full 40 gbps (individually) or not ?

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Apple says they are.

11. RB.mac macrumors newbie

12. theitsage, Nov 3, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

theitsage thread starter Suspended

I was able to install Windows 10 last night and my eGPU setup works in Windows. macOS on the other hand does not allow acceleration through the eGPU.

In the 30 minutes I was using the eGPU, battery went from 85% to 41% :eek:! Sure glad there are TWO USB-C ports.

13. tongefactor40 macrumors regular

****. Didn't even think about that. What ram do you have in the base model? Considering a base model 13" but not sure about ram

14. theitsage thread starter Suspended

15. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

It's not, 13" non-touchbar has 1 fan and half the heatsink of 13" touchbar

16. 5iMacs macrumors regular

Yes I already acknowledged that (post #39, scroll down a little) but I also gave benchmark tests that show that even the single fan is overkill. On 100% CPU loads temp plateaus at 90C, power draw at 16W, fans still barely audible and zero throttling as expected.

17. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

where is the node $200 ? I'm seeing $300

and going to get a late 2013 8/256 2.4ghz haswell i5 13" imminently

and what would be a good graphics card to pair with it? does node need modding or do you plug in the gfx card, install drivers on windows (8.1 or 10?) boot camp and have fun at it?

18. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

why you getting a 2013 system ????

19. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

price, very cheap price, still has warranty til mid next year, benches similarly to 2014-2016 (is nearly identical to 2014, and 2015 broadwell was an incremental more so than tock incremental minus SSD speed improvements same with the base nontocuh bar 13" minus SSD speed once again it appears since this is a skylake ulv that can be cooled with one fan

$600 is the price,

dont want to de rail thread too much, but makes for a nice validated rMBP too if i go eGPU route (but wanted this machine prior to knowing about that, and still may not do it -- dont game much at all xbox one suffices for the most part with cravings)

i want apple glow, ports, magsafe, and old school keyboard, will be good to compliment my 2015 12" rMB

the 2016's are way out of my price range,

20. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Yep, it certainly is. I wonder what temperature @ max rpm would be like? Just to have an idea of how much headroom is there.

[​IMG]

21. 5iMacs macrumors regular

Well the real world application of that headroom would be to tolerate high ambient temperatures. You could operate the machine in a 90F environment and see how loud the fan gets, it would have to spin up significantly over normal room temperature.

22. mikedefieslife macrumors newbie

So from reading through this thread now something like the Node, or Bionz will allow me to hook up an ATI 9 series PCI-E graphics card over thunderbolt (using a 3 to 2 adapter) to a 2015 13" Macbook Pro running Sierra.

This would work out of the box on an external monitor, but have no affect on applications running on the internet monitor unless they make use of OpenCL like FCPX?

Does that sound pretty much correct? My only interest is in FCPX render times.

23. maratus macrumors 6502a

maratus

Yeah, you need to move the application window completely to a screen that's connected to an eGPU for it to use it. It's 100% required for 3D acceleration, for example a 3D game or benchmark in a window, but I'm not sure about OpenCL. Although members above said it works the same way.

24. theitsage thread starter Suspended

I've been trying my RX 470 eGPU with two different TB3-TB2 adapter (one is Apple and the other is CableMatters). Both produced the same result - the eGPU can communicate to the Late 2016 MBP but the system does not allow Metal Support/Graphics Acceleration. It works in Windows 10 so it's something with macOS and not the TB3-TB2 adapter.

Screen Shot 2016-11-05 at 5.13.26 PM.png