Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
Mine has been shipped. In Hong Kong now... But I never got a single email about it...

Original date was oct. 2 which changed to oct. 5. Then it shipped yesterday morning.

Any one else have this happen to them?

frankjl

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
The way tech companies handle demand is purely pathetic and they are not called out on it.

I am surrounded by 6 ATT stores and 3 apple stores.

All ATT storess got a shipment of 15 units only per store.
I was inline waiting luckily I snatched one up.

But it does not change the fact that- knowing the demand they dont stock enough to avoid the hassle of getting the phone.

inSTEAD OF PEOPLE COMPLAINING about it they are calling an experience.

My 3 apple stores all sold it by noon. Which means at tops they probably only had a few hundred.

deucalion0

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
My iPhone was pre-ordered on the 14th, I missed launch day with a delivery date of the 2nd October. I received a text and email from Apple at 11am on Friday saying my iPhone is shipped, it is coming on Monday the 24th now! I am ecstatic after being so down I missed launch day for the first time! :)

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
The fact that people actually believe this nonsense is scary.

I don't know about scary, but pathetic? Yeah, I'll take that. The tantrums are childish and the never-ending onslaught of absurd conspiracy theories is just plain ridiculous.

What's quite simply unfortunate is that people are so desperate for someone or something to blame when anything in their life doesn't work out as perfectly as they'd like it to. What good does that do? How is it remotely logical? Have these people taken even just 30 seconds to consider the vast amount of factors involved in launching a product as popular as an iPhone when you have to rely on carrier partners, 3rd part retailers, various shipping companies, all of which come with built in limitations that are utterly and completely out of Apple's control? Even if there's 10 million iPhone 5's sitting in a warehouse somewhere, Apple can't just use "Wonkavision" to magically beam them to people.

Though to be sure, Apple absolutely loves the hype around a launch; they love the lines and love to say they're selling as many as they can make, which ultimately is always true. But it's not a manufactured process and they're quite obviously still doing all they can to get the products to customers as soon as possible. If this was really just some marketing gimmick, why would they even bother trying to get them out to customers sooner? Why restock stores on a regular basis? Oh yeah, it's because this really isn't a marketing gimmick and they're just stuck doing the best they can to meet the tremendous demand despite the inevitable limitations inherent to a world governed by reality.

You know, maybe it is more scary that people believe the nonsense than I thought...

Alyness24

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
First off I ordered a 16gb black iPhone 5 from apple.com at 6 am on the 14 th. I too got the oct. 5 delivery date. I was planning to wait in line on launch day and the second I got a ticket I was going to cancel my order. But luckily I checked my order status around midnight before the launch day. Of course like many others my order had changed into the preparing for shipment stage. I tried EVERYTHING to get out of it but I was told by the lady at apple that when it goes into that status it means my iPhone has a box, a label, and is with all the other iPhones waiting to be picked up by apple for delivery. As of this morning my order has officially been shipped and is in transit. Apple estimates I will have it by the 28th aka Friday and ups estimates Tuesday or Wednesday. I am figuring this is the same for most people who got the original oct 5 delivery date. For those of you who have your order under processing but ordered on the first pre sale date check UPS. Make sure you are using the phone number you put down for the delivery contact.
Second, for those of you saying we are receiving the damaged phones.... That is ridiculous. We may be receiving them later than most but my iPhone was given it's label and box and tracking info before the launch date. It was "mine" the second it went to the preparing for shipment stage. How can I receive someone's damaged phone when it was ready before the launch. That is a ridiculous rumor. Just be patient and stop being so negative.

Last edited:

BenjaminKenon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago-ish, Illinois
My iPhone was pre-ordered on the 14th, I missed launch day with a delivery date of the 2nd October. I received a text and email from Apple at 11am on Friday saying my iPhone is shipped, it is coming on Monday the 24th now! I am ecstatic after being so down I missed launch day for the first time! :)

I've gotten no emails beyond the original confirmation, and the track-by-reference trick doesn't work. I'm just frustrated. I want to cancel my order and there's nothing I can do about it. Oh well.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
This whole thing has been a cluster ***** just like it was 2 years ago. I pre-ordered my iPhone and have to wait 3 weeks while people walk out of the stores with them on day one.

AgentElliot007

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2010
The way tech companies handle demand is purely pathetic and they are not called out on it.

I am surrounded by 6 ATT stores and 3 apple stores.

All ATT storess got a shipment of 15 units only per store.
I was inline waiting luckily I snatched one up.

But it does not change the fact that- knowing the demand they dont stock enough to avoid the hassle of getting the phone.

inSTEAD OF PEOPLE COMPLAINING about it they are calling an experience.

My 3 apple stores all sold it by noon. Which means at tops they probably only had a few hundred.

You ever think it's not so simple. As I'm not an insider at any of these companies currently, I don't know specific details, but I can still make logical assumptions.

There could be a shipping issue wherein the shipping companies lack the ability to deliver larger shipments to countless stores in a limited amount of time.

There could be issues with many of these locations being unable to effectively stock and safeguard a larger quantity of product.

Hell, on that note, even if half of the official and 3rd party carrier stores could handle the inventory, they likely don't have the ability to receive a palette shipment, and they're sure as hell not going to be processing it outside, especially before the launch!

Then there's the whole element of fairness, in that they have a limited supply that they can ship for launch, again, likely because of shipping capacities at the very least, so they just ship the same amount of product to any store that isn't an Apple Store.

And while it might be a stretch in some cases, perhaps some of these stores insurance policies don't provide coverage for a larger amount of stock. Consider what happens to inventory levels when you stock 300-400 iPhones for launch day. That inventory alone might require as much insurance coverage as the store and it's inventory combined. And considering so many of these shops are independently owned and operated, you really think they have the cash or credit lines to take on $200,000-$300,000 in iPhones in one fell swoop? I somehow doubt it in the vast majority of cases.

And again, there's the simple concept of inventory space. You only have so much room in a store for stock. And again, there's only so many palette's you can ship to all of these stores in a day. And don't forget, even when they're shipped, someone from the store has to process all of those phones.

I could keep going and really dig deeper for random ideas, but it's not worth it. You have to realize at some point that there are some limitations that can't be overcome all at once.

Sorry.

It's not a perfect world.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I ordered directly from Apple around 4:45AM EST on Friday, so only an hour or so after the initial batch had sold out. I have received no notification of shipment so far. :confused: Could this be a difference between the Verizon and AT&T phones? Mine is an AT&T model.

This is my situation also. I ordered a 4:10 and 4:14(2 separate orders) and mine have both been moved back. I originally was scheduled for Oct. 2nd and now both say Oct. 5th.
AT&T here as well.(I have been charged for both now though.)

Hopefully mine will ship soon and I'll get them early.

Eric

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
This isn't really a surprise. Most companies dealing with a high volume of orders will predict availability to be delayed after a certain number have been sold in order to cover themselves. Customers are generally happy when something ships earlier than projected, but often mad when something gets pushed back beyond it's expected ship date.

This is my situation also. I ordered a 4:10 and 4:14(2 separate orders) and mine have both been moved back. I originally was scheduled for Oct. 2nd and now both say Oct. 5th.
AT&T here as well.(I have been charged for both now though.)

Hopefully mine will ship soon and I'll get them early.

Eric

I learned long ago with preorders it is usually safer to go with the supplier than a third party because the supplier will always look out for themselves for stock before others. Hopefully you will receive your phones soon.

This whole thing has been a cluster ***** just like it was 2 years ago. I pre-ordered my iPhone and have to wait 3 weeks while people walk out of the stores with them on day one.

I believe the old saying is "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

bsirman

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2007
Newark, DE
Mine has been shipped. In Hong Kong now... But I never got a single email about it...

Original date was oct. 2 which changed to oct. 5. Then it shipped yesterday morning.

Any one else have this happen to them?

I have a similar experience; but I did get an email yesterday afternoon when mine shipped. It just left Hong Kong but everything still shows a 10/5 delivery date. :confused:

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
This isn't really a surprise. Most companies dealing with a high volume of orders will predict availability to be delayed after a certain number have been sold in order to cover themselves. Customers are generally happy when something ships earlier than projected, but often mad when something gets pushed back beyond it's expected ship date.

I learned long ago with preorders it is usually safer to go with the supplier than a third party because the supplier will always look out for themselves for stock before others. Hopefully you will receive your phones soon.

I believe the old saying is "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

Sorry I wasn't clear, I ordered through Apple but the phones are on AT&T.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I have a similar experience; but I did get an email yesterday afternoon when mine shipped. It just left Hong Kong but everything still shows a 10/5 delivery date. :confused:

You have a delivery date? Not a single thing of mine actually shows a date of delivery anymore.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
Sorry I wasn't clear, I ordered through Apple but the phones are on AT&T.

Oh, the post seemed as though you were an AT&T pre-order. You should contact Apple. I know people that ordered later than you did and have already had their phone ship. Have your tried searching UPS by reference or seeing if there is an iPhone 5 assigned in your support profile? It may have shipped and you didn't get notified or it could be ready to ship.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It did this morning but now it is missing. It doesn't show on apples website or on the ups website. I am cautiously optimistic. :rolleyes:

Well it's in Hong Kong... my memory is hazy but I think last year (with my 4S) from China it goes to Canada and then it ships to your location from there. We should have it by end of week. Maybe as early as Wednesday.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
In the past, shipping estimates moved back for all products at the same time. I'm sure Apple does this to prevent buyers from scrambling to the product that's in stock. But in reality, not all products sold out so quickly. So while the estimate for the 64GB verizon model is the same as that for the 16 GB ATT, it is far more likely that the latter actually sold out quickly, so if you ordered the 64, it will ship earlier than the next guy in line who ordered the 16.

lcs101

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2010
I'd be happy if my oct. 10-16 delivery date was bumped to the 5th. Then I could have it before leaving for my honeymoon. Right now it is still processing. Unless the status changes soon, I figure I'll make a trip to the Apple store Monday morning. Don't care whether I get white or black, just want 64gb.

Bafflefish

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2009
I think I'm going to call Apple and complain about how my 12:54 PST order on Sept. 14th that apparently *JUST* fell into the Oct. 5th group hasn't yet shipped (just "Preparing for shipment" with estimated delivery still on Oct 5th), while people who ordered on Sept. 15th are getting shipment notifications.

This whole thing is a giant ****ing mess and I'll never order anything from Apple's online store again.

BenjaminKenon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago-ish, Illinois
I think I'm going to call Apple and complain about how my 12:54 PST order on Sept. 14th that apparently *JUST* fell into the Oct. 5th group hasn't yet shipped (just "Preparing for shipment" with estimated delivery still on Oct 5th), while people who ordered on Sept. 15th are getting shipment notifications.

This whole thing is a giant ****ing mess and I'll never order anything from Apple's online store again.

I did that, and I got the "We are sorry for any inconvenience, but as you know, we received over 2 million pre-orders in the first 24 hours".

When I replied that I wanted to cancel so I could buy mine TODAY in a store, the operator said, "Unfortunately, that's impossible. It's already in 'Prepared for Shipping' status".

When I asked her how it could be already prepared for shipping, with an ETA of October 5th, she gave me the verbal equivalent of a shrug.

The experience has convinced me never to pre-order anything from Apple ever again. Too bad, because I love my 64gb iPad 3, my 4s and my nano.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
Oh, the post seemed as though you were an AT&T pre-order. You should contact Apple. I know people that ordered later than you did and have already had their phone ship. Have your tried searching UPS by reference or seeing if there is an iPhone 5 assigned in your support profile? It may have shipped and you didn't get notified or it could be ready to ship.

I'm not sure how to check either of those. I just know that on my order status it says "Preparing for Shipment" for both phones.
Whenever I try to search UPS it just says that it can't locate a shipment. I don't know what the "support profile" is.
Thanks for your help.

DBriggs

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2008
Bel Air Maryland
Hi Everyone!
Had my credit card charged for the iPhone but it still says processing on my apple store account. Anyone know how long between being charged for the phone and shipping is?

Thanks for the feedback!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.