Latest Renders of 2019 iPhone XR Show Dual-Lens Cameras in Rear Glass-Integrated Square Bump

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In partnership with Pricebaba.com, @Onleaks today released a series of high-quality renders of the next-generation iPhone XR expected to launch this coming September. The renders are based on rumors and alleged leaks regarding the device's outward design.

[​IMG]

The iPhone XR successor depicted in the renders could easily be mistaken for last year's iPhone XR, if it wasn't for the addition of the dual-lens cameras, arranged vertically with the LED flash on the right and housed in a large square bump.

According to Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the 6.1-inch iPhone XR successor is said to feature a dual-lens rear camera setup rather than a triple-lens setup, which will be exclusive to the next-generation iPhone XS and XS Max models.

Renders of the latter 2019 devices have included a square bump housing the three lenses, but this is the first time we've seen the same controversial housing for the upcoming dual-lens iPhone XR. All three of the front-facing cameras in the 2019 iPhones are expected to be 12 megapixels, up from 7 megapixels in the 2018 models.

While some rumors suggest Apple may go with an all OLED lineup, doing away with the LCD displays of the iPhone XR, other rumors believe Apple will stick with its Liquid Retina LCD display because of the high price of OLED displays.

[​IMG]

All 2019 iPhones are likely to adopt upgraded A13 chips from TSMC, Apple's chip supplier. The A13, like all chip upgrades, should bring performance and efficiency improvements.

As for dimensions, OnLeaks suggests the iPhone XR 2019 will measure 150.9 x 76.1 x 7.8mm, with the camera bump being the thickest point, at 8.5mm.

Rumors suggest Apple is planning to make changes to the front-facing TrueDepth Camera System that enables Face ID in the 2019 iPhones. Kuo believes 2019 iPhones will feature a new flood illuminator that will improve Face ID by lowering the impact of the invisible light from the environment.

[​IMG]

Despite some rumors suggesting a smaller notch or no notch at all, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes there will be no change to the size of the notch in the 2019 iPhone lineup.

The iPhone XR was Apple's best-selling iPhone in 2018, accounting for an estimated 32 percent of U.S. iPhone sales, according to sales data by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners. Comparatively, the iPhone XS and XS Max, Apple's more expensive iPhones, were responsible for 35 percent of sales combined.

Apple is expected to unveil its new 2019 iPhone lineup in September, likely launching the phones in the weeks following the announcements.

Article Link: Latest Renders of 2019 iPhone XR Show Dual-Lens Cameras in Rear Glass-Integrated Square Bump

2. jsmith189 macrumors 68000

jsmith189

It looks as shocked as I am.

[​IMG]

Cindy Crawford should sue.

3. Nik macrumors 6502a

Just use the iPhone X(S) bump design instead?

4. AnthonyHarris macrumors 6502

AnthonyHarris

I know renders of products never really look as good as the final release, but that looks excessive. It needn't be so large for only two lenses.

5. Unami macrumors 6502a

6. shanson27 macrumors 65816

shanson27

7. snowboarder macrumors 6502

How much longer can they get away with zero improvements and higher prices?
    Not as easy anymore with OnePlus 7 Pro, Huawei P30 etc just beating the cr@p out of it...

8. rpat701 macrumors regular

I am sure I am not alone in this; but, who cares about the camera at this point. It started taking amazing pictures a few releases ago. This is all they got?

9. Coconut Bean macrumors regular

Animojies.

10. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

it's awesome! next year we will have more sales decline charts for sure.

11. Relentless Power, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

If Apple continues to make too many hardware improvements to the XR, that would only raise the price, would it not? [Part of the purpose of the XR is to be a cheaper price point under the XS]. So why would they add even more hardware? The dual camera would likely be the next set up for the XR. Not to mention, the XR already offers almost identical features to the XS aside from 3D Touch/OLED panel and dual camera.

12. jezbd1997 macrumors 6502

jezbd1997

Yeah I agree, got no issues with camera quality on my iPhone 7 and looking at the Xs in store it doesn’t look too drastic...

13. recoil80 macrumors 68030

Unless they want to "embrace the bump" just like they did for the notch.
    I'd put it in a case anyway so I don't really care about how it looks on the back. I'd rather have a great camera than a good looking phone. iPhone 6 and 6s were way uglier than iPhone 5 and 5s, so I can see them taking a step backwards in terms of pure aesthetics

14. Eagle1337 macrumors regular

Looks ok, but i dont see why they would need the square to also surround the flash.

15. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

And I thought the three hole camera lump was the worst thing we'd see. Congrats to the someone who found a way to make that look more appealing.

16. NBAasDOGG macrumors 6502

NBAasDOGG

First the ugly notch and large bezels and now this.....?

Attached Files:

17. EchoplexSE macrumors member

an all glass hump, I was really hoping Apple would improve their design here. I can't stand having a case on my phone and this just screams "less durable"

18. jsmith189 macrumors 68000

jsmith189

Would much rather see a P30 strip than this, honestly. Goes for the XI too.

19. LeeW macrumors 6502a

LeeW

It all suggests they are going to keep pushing the price up.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That wouldn’t work for providing more depth in multiple directions, that’s why the triple lens camera will be oriented that way from past renders, not to mention, it will also make more practical sense for VR rendering. The dual wouldn’t probably be able to accomplish the same tasks aligned vertically.

21. jsmith189 macrumors 68000

jsmith189

Oh, I'm talking strictly cosmetically haha.

22. AnthonyHarris macrumors 6502

AnthonyHarris

Good point. Since picking up my XS, it has only been out of its case once to replace a broken screen protecter.

23. nvmls macrumors 6502a

nvmls

Hard to believe they would be aiming to make the worst looking "premium" phone back design in the industry.

24. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

25. blcamp macrumors regular

blcamp