Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Launch Weekend Popularity of Apple TV+ Movie 'Greyhound' Compared to 'Box Office Big Hit'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Tom Hanks' WWII movie "Greyhound" saw the largest opening weekend release ever on Apple TV+, according to "sources close to Apple" that spoke to Deadline.

"Greyhound" saw more viewers than any other movie or TV show released on Apple TV+ to date during its launch weekend, and the film is said to have a "viewing audience commensurate with a summer theatrical box office big hit."

Prior to the current public health crisis that shut down movie theaters in the United States and other countries, "Greyhound" was meant to be released in theaters. Sony Pictures instead sold the rights to Apple for $70 million, making "Greyhound" the first ever Tom Hanks movie to go directly to streaming services without a theatrical debut.

Hanks in an interview called the straight to Apple TV+ release "an absolute heartbreak" because of the difference in picture and sound quality between an in-home television set and a movie theater.

Along with its position as the number one movie release on Apple TV+, "Greyhound" also appears to have attracted a new audience. 30 percent of those who watched the movie were new to the Apple TV+ service.

In "Greyhound," Hanks takes on the role of Navy veteran and captain Ernest Krause, who fights his own self doubts while leading a convoy of Allied ships against German U-boats in the Battle of the Atlantic to prove that he belongs in command. The movie has an 80 percent positive rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Article Link: Launch Weekend Popularity of Apple TV+ Movie 'Greyhound' Compared to 'Box Office Big Hit'

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ar40 and DEXTERITY

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I meant to watch but didn't this weekend, I will though. TV shopping right now so maybe I will wait or maybe I will watch it twice since it will be like a new movie. Hmm, not sure yet but do plan to watch.

Reactions: Ar40 and DEXTERITY

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
the film is said to have a "viewing audience commensurate with a summer theatrical box office big hit."

In other news... free at-home things are popular. :p

It's extremely easy to sit on your couch, hit a few buttons, and watch a new movie.

Or... you arrange for babysitting, drive to a movie theater, possibly pay to park, and spend a minimum of $40 for a couple to watch a movie together. Plus snacks!

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I'd be interested to know the financials in terms of what theaters pay to show a movie vs. what Apple is paying. If the studios are happy with the financial aspect of opening up more theatrical releases to streaming on day one, COVID has forever changed the way many of us will watch first-run movies. I hope the studios play the long game and keep the streaming option available once theaters are open again en masse.

Christopher Kim

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2016
My wife and I watched it this weekend. She wasn't that excited for this type of movie, but she had heard about it as Tom Hanks was on some late-night shows last week pushing it. I was excited for it, plus I wanted to support it as this is really the first test of a "blockbuster" type movie going straight to streaming.

I thought it was quite good, though not amazing (I wouldn't tell ppl they "have to watch it", but would recommend it if they have Apple TV+ / have the time).

Also may be a bit biased as we also watched The Old Guard on Netflix this weekend, and we both loved that, so a bit of relativity at play.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Prior to the current public health crisis that shut down movie theaters in the United States and other countries, "Greyhound" was meant to be released in theaters. Sony Pictures instead sold the rights to Apple for $70 million, making "Greyhound" the first ever Tom Hanks movie to go directly to streaming services without a theatrical debut.
Article Link: Launch Weekend Popularity of Apple TV+ Movie 'Greyhound' Compared to 'Box Office Big Hit'

Unfortunately, I can’t see this practice changing any time soon. There’s no way any movie is going to get even a modest crowd in the cinema any time this year due to the pandemic, let alone the sort of big, repeat-crowds that made the ‘Avengers’ films and the like so hugely successful.

Films such as Christopher Nolan’s ‘Tenet’ and the latest James Bond film ‘No Time to Die’ - which was scheduled for release earlier this year - simply cannot expect to get make any sort of decent box office return at the moment, let alone recoup their expenses for the mega millions spent on the production. Until a vaccine or some sort of highly affective treatment is developed for COVID-19, a great proportion - dare I say at least half (but probably most!!) - of the normal cinema attending audience simply won’t go.

Personally, I’m nervous about Dennis Villeneuve’s new ‘Dune’ adaptation, with the first half of the epic story due for release at the end of the year. And pending high box office returns, won’t have a sequel green lit for the second half of the story.

It’s likely that many more high budget films which were due for a cinema release over the next year will receive the same treatment as ‘Greyhound’. Perhaps it’s time to invest in a decent 4K 65” (or bigger) TV and high quality surround sound audio system!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.