Leaked Aquaman Movie Suggests iTunes 4K Stream Cracked for First Time

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 7, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A 4K version of the movie "Aquaman" has popped up on torrent sites, and, as noted by TorrentFreak, it looks like the file may have come from iTunes, suggesting Apple's protections for 4K content have been breached.

The "Aquaman" file in question, which was shared earlier this week on Reddit, is labeled as a Web-DL, a name used in torrents to denote where it's from. Web-DL indicates a file pulled from a streaming service like Netflix, iTunes, and Amazon.

[​IMG]
    The file is indeed in 4K, and it popped up on torrent sites shortly after the movie was released on iTunes. There are no 4K releases of "Aquaman" from Netflix or Amazon, which led to immediate speculation that someone had managed to decrypt the file from iTunes.

4K files from iTunes have never been spotted on piracy sites before, making this a first that the piracy community is excited about. "4k Web-dl, history has been made today for pirates," wrote one reddit user on the r/piracy subreddit.

TorrentFreak says that it's "too early" to jump to conclusions about the origin of the file. While it's 4K, it could be mislabeled. There's a 4K version on VUDU, though the pirated version was uploaded ahead of the VUDU release.

If it is from iTunes, it's not yet clear how it was accessed. 4K content is only available on the Apple TV via tvOS, suggesting that if there's a security hole, it's in the tvOS operating system.
    Since Aquaman appeared, two additional 4K Web-DL files for "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" and "Can You Ever Forgive Me?" have surfaced on torrent sites.

If there is indeed a vulnerability that has been exploited by those who pirate movies to access 4K iTunes content, Apple is likely to implement a fix quickly to prevent pirates from stealing additional 4K movies.

Article Link: Leaked Aquaman Movie Suggests iTunes 4K Stream Cracked for First Time

2. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

Is cracking iTunes more likely than someone simply getting access to a 4K Bluray version early and claiming it to be "Web-DL"?

3. FlyGuyDEN macrumors regular

FlyGuyDEN

If pirates spent as much time hacking **** they don't want to pay for as they do working they could save themselves some time and afford the damn movie. #facepalm

4. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

What? Rephrase your question.

5. derbladerunner macrumors 6502

You beat me to it. Afaik 4K Blu-Rays have been cracked some time ago:

http://www.digital-digest.com/news-64740-Latest-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Copy-Protection-Cracked.html

So the only thing (if iTunes or another format still is safe) studios could do is postpone the 4K Blu-Ray releases a few weeks, am I right?

But sooner or later the movie will be out anyway.

6. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

meanwhile, i can only play content in hd on my new macbook

7. nawnp macrumors newbie

Not necessarily related, but it's still annoying that the 4k streaming is still exclusive to the Apple TV, I mean I could just as easily plug in my MacBook Pro into a 4k tv with an hdmi cord, but alas its still 1080p. Also the built in 1800p screen should at least play 1440p.

8. StellarVixen, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019

StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

It is not about "not having to pay". People who have skills to crack such stream probably have high paying job somewhere, they probably are putting their skills to use somewhere where the pay is very good.

There is thrill in the act itself, which is better than any kind of money.

9. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65832

WatchFromAfar

I think the issue is it's trivial to do for those in the know so why not do it?

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If this did come from Apple, I am not surprised. Give the hacks enough time, and they will eventually find a way to accomplish their goal.

11. busyscott macrumors regular

busyscott

It's not about the money for them. For some it's a challenge - and one they enjoy, for others it's a crusade - fighting against greedy corporations, and for some, it's for the street cred - which could lead to employment opportunities.

Not taking a side, but you can't just "these guys steal cause they can't afford it and need to get jobs" it's not accurate.

12. deebinem macrumors regular

deebinem

13. az431 macrumors 6502a

az431

So there's a pirated movie file out there that may or may not have come from iTunes.

In other news, Apple may or may not release a car this year.

Thanks for sharing.

14. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Well considering there isn't a download for the AACS2 keys for Aquaman yet. For each 4k disc you have to have it's own individual AACS2 key to make your personal back up for your disc it's most likely not a 4k disc rip. Those take awhile to show up especially for a movie that isn't technically out on disc yet.

15. BasicGreatGuy, Mar 7, 2019

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Edited to add: @Juli

MacRumors should remove the file name. No need to encourage pirating. The story could be covered without creating the red sign that all but says, use this file name to download the file and see for yourself.

16. Porco, Mar 7, 2019

Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

I completely disagree with pirating movies, music, software etc, but I also think it's stupid that one can't download a 4K title you've paid for, or that you have to use proprietary hardware to play it at all, and while those limitations exist it provides a convenient excuse for pirates to justify their behaviour, whatever their real motivations are.

I prefer physical media anyway so it's not like I am particularly affected either way.

17. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

18. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

Won't shock me one bit if this turns out to be true and it is cracked. Plenty of "documentation" out there to suggest it's been a priority for a while. I'd rather buy movies and music then rip it off though, but some don't feel that way. However, I do understand the chase to have a challenge and complete it. When it comes to legal vs illegal.. I'll stick with my 15.00-20.00 discs.

19. BaltimoreMediaBlog macrumors 6502a

BaltimoreMediaBlog

The first thing that came to my mind about this story is that once again, the Apple Mac is being left behind on 4K video for a device that few people buy that Apple calls a "hobby." I'll bet you'll be able to watch this movie in 4K on an iPhone before an Apple Mac. :(

20. ghostface147 macrumors 68030

ghostface147

21. ccsicecoke macrumors regular

I thought we could replicate any 4K movie by simply doing screen recording while playing that movie in iTunes

22. aaronhead14, Mar 7, 2019

aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Unpopular opinion: If movies were DRM-free to begin with, there would more more incentive for customers to buy them, and less incentive for pirates to steal them.

23. wigby macrumors 68000

I agree but I feel like the commenter is confusing the original hacker for bittorrent users (which some see as hackers too). I know people that spend days downloading bit torrent streams in the time that they could be earning much more money to buy movies and much more. Part of their motives are also based on the thrill of defying the law or big studios but that is usually countered by the fact that they are young, immature and have too much extra time on their hands. They all grow out of it eventually.

24. Worldspinning macrumors newbie

Sadly, hackers and thieves don't even need keys anymore - {a new tool} took care of that. It amazes me the lengths people go to in order to bypass the content owner's rights. If this hack isn't from an Apple stream, I'd put my money on that new tool being this thief's method.

[Edited out the tool's name... I don't want to give anyone else any ideas.]

25. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

Not nearly as big as a traditional 4K BR-RIP which sometimes exceed 40-60GB.