Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Supertecnoboff

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
UK
I think I speak on behalf of many people when I say that the voice memos and Safari icon in iOS 7 Beta are ****!!! lol

I'm sure Apple will improve them :)

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
voicememo.jpg

Has anyone noticed the dock is more transparent and less blurred? This is not the same behavior in Beta 1. I quite prefer how it looks above.

Jimeny

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
This is my go to app.. simple, functional and ESSENTIAL! Please do not deprive us of it Apple. Pretty please. Keep it as it was, with trim, share etc..

PS all of the moaning about icons is getting a bit boring now. I cant work out if it's Samsung shills trying to chip away at the moral or, even worse, sad moany little fanboys. Either way.. change the record!

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
This is obviously a placeholder icon for an application that was obviously so unfinished it couldn't even ship with the first beta.

I don't think people realize that this beta has had roughly 7 months to be redesigned from the ground up but it's got roughly another 6 before any regular consumer is able to download it.

I'm willing to bet the vast majority of those icons were rushed for the preview because it was far more important for them to get the actual user interface down. Icons are easy to change.

mrbyu

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2011
Forstall wasn't all bad. I think that old-school look really sold the devices. The theme is nice a contrast to the sterilized techy crap today. Its like you had an little bit of home in your hands.

I agree. That's why I stopped using Mailbox after a few days. It had this modern, overpushed flat design, but honestly, I always felt more comfortable in the good old stock Mail app. It's somehow calming, cozy.

I'm not against change, and I find the look of iOS 7 to be very sexy and modern, but to be honest, I don't want so much sexiness in my pocket. It's nicer to feel like home when I unlock my device. I'm a little bit sad that they didn't find the aurea mediocritas between the old and modern. Surely I will get used to it after a certain period of time, but I have the feeling that it could've been somehow better, somehow "more Apple".

omgwut

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2006
http://dribbble.com/shots/1119638-iOS-Icons-Version-2

These look a billion times better, and Apple would be wise to either bring this designer back or use his suggestions to tweak the current icons. FFS, the green on the phone icon looks so much better than the color they're using for messages right now... wtf is that?

Last edited:

Fishticks

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Too much focus on something as ridiculous as... icons design..!!!
Is this all there is ?
Voice memo HMI was so lame it was impossible to use it. Let's hope they all take care of ergonomy and shorten the number of touches necessary to reach most useful functions.

sethowar

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
OMFG, its the mandelbrot set! google it if you don't believe me.

Apple has gone above and beyond with this icon - it is actually a fundamental part of mathematic and computing theory in waveform!!!

to any naysayers... educate thyselves

wiz7dome

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
Jony Ive is an industrial designer. He doesn't have any experience or expertise doing the visual design of software, and he clearly needs better advisors and collaborators to work with.

I understand that he's enamored with the "honesty" of designing software that eschews emulating real world materials and objects. That might explain why "voice memos" has abandoned the metaphor of an old microphone in favor of a sound wave.

But the current direction is an inconsistent mess. The camera icon has changed to use something that looks like an SLR camera. Why not use a shutter or something more symbolic? Notes icon looks like a real notepad. Settings is an old gear, which is ironically the opposite of anything digital. Videos is still the old clapboard. Mail still uses an envelope. But photos uses a more abstract "flower". Game center is the worst of all -- an unintelligibly abstract metaphor of overlapping circles rendered as if they are real world objects, with glossy highlights.

Interactive elements are spectacularly inconsistent. Buttons have been largely abandoned, replaced with colored text. But sometimes we still get buttons. Sometimes they have square corners and sometimes they have rounded corners. Sometimes they are filled in, and sometimes they are just outlines. Sometimes they are circular. They are almost always flat. Except for the on/off switches which still look like an actual switch.

I mean, WTF. There is zero vision here.

I've actually been meaning to start a thread about Apple's design direction. I've been on Mac's hardcore the OS 9/Mac OS X transition and thus far it feels as if they have completely lost their way in design/functionality balance. Apple at one time where well ahead of others in this area (i suspect due in no small part to Job's intuition) but now its as if they are just down right wandering in the desert lost.

Apple kicked up this insanity with the removal of color throughout OS X apps and dialog boxes.

Last edited:

Tevlon

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2012
I actually like the icon :) I actually like all the icons except for Game Center, stands out too much with the gloss...

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
This MUST be included. How else can one prove to one's wife that she snores sometimes. :confused:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I've actually been meaning to start a thread about Apple's design direction. I've been on Mac's hardcore the OS 9/Mac OS X transition and thus far it feels as if they have completely lost their way in design/functionality balance. Apple at one time where well ahead of others in this area (i suspect due in no small part to Job's intuition) but now its as if they are just down right wandering in the desert lost.

Apple kicked up this insanity with the removal of color throughout OS X apps and dialog boxes.

I agree. I like the new features but the look and feel is a complete mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.