Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

192808-camreal.jpg

Top image from Covino & Rich, Other Images from iFixit
While there has been an ongoing belief that Apple was indeed planning a camera module in the latest iPod Touch, one reader has found the most convincing proof when comparing the iFixit teardown of the new iPod Touch with the previously leaked images of an iPod Touch with camera.

When comparing the tear down images to the leaked iPod Touch with Camera images from radio show Covino & Rich, it becomes obvious that internals of the leaked images line up convincingly with the internals of the 3rd Generation iPod Touch. Meanwhile, they are both distinct from the internals of the 2nd Generation iPod Touch. Such a finding is beyond the realm of coincidence, which means that this image of a camera-enabled iPod Touch was indeed a real Apple prototype:

152022-third_gen_touch_2.jpg

It's not entirely clear why the camera was dropped from the iPod Touch, though rumors suggest Apple is still interested in adding a camera to the iPod Touch.

Article Link: Leaked iPod Touch with Camera Photos Were Real

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
something is telling me we are going to see a camera very soon....:D:D:D:D;)

isn't best buy accepting pre-orders for camera protection cases for the ipod touch 3G on Oct 14th!;)

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
for some reason i was let down by them not including the camera. however if they include the camera from the 3GS (which hardware won't support due to the thickness as posted by MR) then it would def take away from sales IMO

i'd def buy an iPod Touch like that instead of a 3GS

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
this also means the photoshop experts who debunked these images were wrong (again).

arn

ruinfx

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2008
the question is, will the eventual ipod touch with a camera only be able to take video?

Cask

Jul 14, 2008
Something I had noticed is that this leaked images showed a small hole next to the lens. I believe the iPod nano also has this small whole next to the lens, which means it is the same camera module or a very similar one.

mmendoza27

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if another iPod touch update comes out next February or March and includes a camera. I wonder if Steve was pissed when the camera upgrade was leaked.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I believe it...Job's reasoning on why the iPod touch doesn't have a camera(lower price to make it a great game machine) is quite believable...for the 8GB model. For the 32GB and 64GB model, not so much

Mr.Texor

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Hmmm, what if Apple decided to release the ipod touch with camera right before or right after the zune with touch controls is going to be released. That way they steal from microsoft all the free advertisement that the tech news media would create. I wonder if the "camera problems" they were supposedly having, were a rumor started by apple.

But then again, it's not cheap to create lots of new 3rd generation ipod touch (the 32 and 64 GB ones) just to have them replaced in a few months. Unless they think it's a good trade off. Also, you would have a few 3rd generation ipod touch buyers pissed.....

gianly1985

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
the question is, will the eventual ipod touch with a camera only be able to take video?

Apparently (iFixit) there's no room in there for a 3GS-sized-Autofocus-camera_module, so probably yes, no stills, only video. Kinda disappointing on an App-Store_Powered device (with social-upload stuff and micro-photoshop stuff). Maybe that's the reason they eventually dropped it. Video-only may be acceptable on the Nano, but inacceptable on a iphone shaped appstore-powered thing.

alexbates

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2008
Georgia, USA
I don't think Apple will be adding a camera anytime soon... that was probably just something Apple wanted to try to add to the iPod Touch but changed their minds last minute. Apple might be trying to get more people to buy the iPod Nano by not adding features such as a video camera and FM radio to the iPod Touch.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Something I had noticed is that this leaked images showed a small hole next to the lens. I believe the iPod nano also has this small whole next to the lens, which means it is the same camera module or a very similar one.

I would rather have a still cam than video. Showing my age, perhaps, or my personal aversion to moving pictures not shot by professional cinematographers (I loathe most YouTube experiences at a rate exceeding 90 percent). Anyway a video-only camera added to the iPod touch next time around would not in itself make me go out and get it. I am not 100% sure that a still cam would be a deal maker either, but it would be closer for me than video as per the new nano's video feature. I'm still going to get a 64GB 3rd gen touch though, I think. Just for the performance boost and the added real estate. Still pondering.

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
I believe it...Job's reasoning on why the iPod touch doesn't have a camera(lower price to make it a great game machine) is quite believable...for the 8GB model. For the 32GB and 64GB model, not so much

EXACTLY! In fact, they could do much more to differentiate the premium (i.e. 32GB and 64GB) models from the standard version. As it stands now, the only visible difference is the storage amount (the speed upgrade won't be obvious to most consumers, unlike the macrumors crowd).

iMaconApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2009
Sunny Diego
i think next year they will bust out a came for ipod touch..speaking of camera iphone next year will get a front cam..apple is teasing for now..:rolleyes:

it would make more sense for ipod touch to get the camera not nano..because ipod touch has wifi that for you can upload to youtube instead of ipod nano plug to computer then upload..:rolleyes:

i do like the new shiny nano colors they look yummy to eat:D
and wow FM. radio is so 2010..

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I don't understand Apple's reasoning for not just making the iPod touch an iPhone (same dimensions, shell, electronics, etc) without the cell circuitry.

Seems like a waste of engineering effort to maintain two separate internals, but what do I know.

I guess it all comes down to costs, but the iPhone has to have at least a 60-65 percent mark-up price unsubsidized.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
this also means the photoshop experts who debunked these images were wrong (again).

arn

Only good point about this whole story IMO (who doesn't like proving those photoshop "experts" wrong and throwing mud in their face ?).

I think it's time to drop this whole camera thing. It didn't happen, it's not the end of the world, there are dozens of devices out there with a camera if you really do need one. Let's face it, the iPod touch wasn't going to be the pinnacle of photography.

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
Perhaps Apple wants to put in a higher quality camera. Lacking picture capabilities and autofocus is a big ding, and while the nano can now be a quick and dirty video recorder, the touch might need better quality.

The number conceivable could work (and ifixit.com agrees )

6.2 mm- iPod Nano thickness
3 mm- camera in iPod Nano
6 mm- camera in iPhone
8.2 mm- iPod Touch thickness
12.3- iPhone thickness

It would, however, be quite a feat of engineering, as the iPod Touch only has 2.2 mm extra, while the iPhone has 6.3. Perhaps they are specially ordering a slightly thinner autofocus camera.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
Very odd... I think we may see 2005 all over again. Nano first, Touch soon after. It just seems weird that they'd update the Touch at all before they add a camera... Even if the updates were minimal. There's gonna be a lot of angry iPod buyers.

onionperson654

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2007
it would make more sense for ipod touch to get the camera not nano..because ipod touch has wifi that for you can upload to youtube instead of ipod nano plug to computer then upload..:rolleyes:

IF they ever do add a video camera to the iPod touch, it will come to dominate youtube.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
The question is how soon this camera update will be. Happy to wait a month, but if it's 6 months, I'll just buy the 3G now and upgrade at the next September refresh.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Prototype!

Of course the prototype of iPod Touch with camera does exist. What else would we expect, even the prototype of next year's iPhone already exist too. Like what SJ mentioned this product is being promoted as a portable gaming device for now. Are we getting a camera on the next iPod Touch update? Absolutely! This one reason for you to buy an upgrade because you're all suckers like me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.