Leaked MacBook Pro Casing Confirmed?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports that the leaked MacBook Pro case photo published over the weekend is, in fact, legitimate.
Although the enclosure shown in the photo appears to be a slightly dated prototype that has somehow found its way into the wild, casings currently sitting in Apple's labs are said to be nearly identical, as the overall design has not changed.
According to their sources, the battery will take up the the remainder of the bottom casing and the rectangular recess is a latch to release the battery. Taking up 25% of the bottom of the case, the battery compartment will also provide easy access to its hard drive.

Artist rendition from AppleInsider

AppleInsider also speculates that the Apple logo will continue to be illuminated from behind as it is in existing Apple laptops.

Apple has been rumored to be working on new aluminum MacBook Pro designs that will adopt features of the current iMac and MacBook Air.

Article Link

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yay! So maybe no more whiners complaining about all the iPhone news!!! :p

And yes, it is really exciting that a new pro might be coming out! I'm looking to buy in a few months or so, bring it on!

it's a piece of aluminum...where's the screen and keyboard layout?
Seriously??? Its the top and bottom of the shell, not the insides...

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Finally, an accessible Hard Drive. Now all we need to do is make it do the washing up and that's the wish list filled.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Heck, yeah. Easy access HDD. About time. Now release it before July 25 so that I can get one before Ireland.
Boo! Ireland wants to get it before you!! :p (Yeah, yeah, I know what you meant)

It's very odd for an enclosure like this to be leaked; simply because unlike many other elements of the hardware, it doesn't need widespread, exhaustive testing.

It's possible that it has leaked from the manufacturer's side, which might indicate the update is coming sooner rather than later.

Edit: Just read now that the photo came from a Chinese language blog, that'd make sense. In which case, yes, the update is likely to be fairly soon.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
A lighter MacBook Pro with a bigger battery would be great! Looks like this battery design more closely resembles that of the MacBook. I wonder if this is even a MacBook Pro at all. It could be the long rumored aluminum MacBook.

DanielJen

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
I don't know what people are talking about; tapered. The shape looks identical to the current MBPs!

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

This is very nice if they do allow easy access to the HD. It will be cool to be a me to pop the old HD out and put in the new SSD drive when the price cones down or just add a bigger HD without voiding any warranties. I can't wait to see it.

ArmyKnight12

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Here
A lighter MacBook Pro with a bigger battery would be great! Looks like this battery design more closely resembles that of the MacBook. I wonder if this is even a MacBook Pro at all. It could be the long rumored aluminum MacBook.
Hmm, very interesting point....

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I dont see how it differs from my current MBP... what's the big deal?
I'd say the outside won't be the big change. The exterior design of the pro is just too pretty really; one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it" things. I'm betting the big change will be the keyboard and perhaps the trackpad, but I'd say we won't be seeing those leaks. ;)

Bacvir

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2008
leg warmer gone?

Relocating the battery to the rear means no more toasty legs while using the MBP on the lap and lower operating temperatures (battery is closer to the vents at the rear) :)