MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Independent technicians have reportedly been able to use leaked MacBook schematics to aid repairs (via Vice).

ifixit-m1-macbook-teardown.jpg

Last month, Apple supplier Quanta Computer was hit with an attack by the ransomware group known as "REvil," leading to a large quantity of internal Apple documents about both released and unreleased devices being exposed. The leaked PDFs, available on a number of forums and online marketplaces, have apparently helped technicians understand how some MacBook components fit together.

Repair advocate and owner of the Rossmann Repair Group, Louis Rossmann, told Vice:
Our business relies on stuff like this leaking. This is going to help me recover someone's data. Someone is going to get their data back today because of this.

You can't go to Apple and say "I will give you $800,000 to give me this data." When we fix the board, most of the time we preserve the data.

I'm not saying I'm in favor of people hacking into computers to get this information. I would prefer to get this by going to Apple and giving them $1,000 every year to get this information.
Although basic repairs, such as battery replacements, are possible with guides and tools from the likes of iFixit, logic board repairs are considerably more complex and can involve minute adjustments to circuitry and chips, and often risk data loss. Such repairs also have very little margin for error.

Apple does not provide detailed repair manuals and schematics for its hardware, forcing third-party repair technicians to look elsewhere. Simple trial and error can help repair technicians understand how a device's circuitry works, but can be very time-consuming and risk the complete breakage of multiple components.

Reverse-engineered blueprints put together by third parties are often shared online, but the REvil leak has presented a new opportunity for technicians to get specific information to help the repair process.

Article Link: Leaked MacBook Schematics Have Aided Independent Technicians Performing Complicated Repairs

Theyayarealivin

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 18, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
Happy with who...?

They are leaked, do you really think a repair shop is going to tell Apple that they use those schematics to fix Apple gear.
Apple isn't playing games anymore.

Comment

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Big fan of Rossmann on YouTube, what we really need is a law saying the data on the HDD/SSD is the owner's and the hardware manufacturer needs to find a better way for the consumer to extract this info in a hardware fault/planned obsolescence event.

Dam I'd be happy for a removable HD/SSD, what a good idea that'll be!

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Apple isn't playing games anymore.

Nothing is 100% secure.

Comment

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Big fan of Rossmann on YouTube, what we really need is a law saying the data on the HDD/SSD is the owner's and the hardware manufacturer needs to find a better way for the consumer to extract this info in a hardware fault/planned obsolescence event.

Dam I'd be happy for a removable HD/SSD, what a good idea that'll be!
Exactly! How is it environmentally friendly if I have to replace the entire motherboard if the soldered on SSD or ram fails?
They need to keep common wear items replaceable.

Comment

MtLoin2020

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2018
sunny florida
THATS IT!
TC will push the plans for his "MaCook" notebook front and center.
which is a non-openable, non-replaceable non-serviceable notebook.
This non-dongleable and non-sense notebook will be produced with or without any foreseeable component shortage they may face*.
No one leaks out info on CeOOK!
those new to be released putrid_blue-purple-pinkpansy macbook airs than can be screwed open will wait!

(*they still dont know, not like they are a tech company with like... buyers allover the world who communicate with vendors all the live long day and apple still cant give the BBC a straight answer over shortage speculation.)

• Haha
Reactions: Glacier1 and nvmls
Comment

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
Rossmann is a funny and brilliant dude. Highly recommend checking out his youtube channel.
I don’t consider the guy funny. He seems like a negative miserable person. I still watch his YT channel from time to time because I support the Right to Repair.

I don’t care if it’s Apple or John Deer, I have schematics, wiring diagrams, body shop repair, engine rebuilding specifications and more for my Mazda RX8 and Merc S500

I have service guides and schematics for all of my audio gear from the 70s-2000s

Apple should at least release schematics for products they no longer support. What harm would it cause to release a schematic and board layout for someone wanting to repair and fix an iPod HiFi from 2007 or a Mac from 2014?

I might be in the minority, but I’m happy these were leaked. Hopefully they are accurate, but if I want to diagnose and repair my equipment down the the component level, I should be able to do so.

I have no issues with soldered ram as I’ve had to reseat the ram modules in a lot of laptops at school, but storage should be removable. It can’t be due to security of the T2 chip or M1 chip. The Mac Pro uses socketed storage.

Comment

LeeW

macrumors 68030
Feb 5, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Certainly not supportive of how they were obtained but they are out there now. If as a result of this leak a 3rd party repair shop can do a $100 out of warranty repair to get someone back up and running rather than the $800 that Apple would want, fair play.

Comment

nathan_reilly

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2016
I don’t consider the guy funny. He seems like a negative miserable person. I still watch his YT channel from time to time because I support the Right to Repair.

I don’t care if it’s Apple or John Deer, I have schematics, wiring diagrams, body shop repair, engine rebuilding specifications and more for my Mazda RX8 and Merc S500

I have service guides and schematics for all of my audio gear from the 70s-2000s

Apple should at least release schematics for products they no longer support. What harm would it cause to release a schematic and board layout for someone wanting to repair and fix an iPod HiFi from 2007 or a Mac from 2014?

I might be in the minority, but I’m happy these were leaked. Hopefully they are accurate, but if I want to diagnose and repair my equipment down the the component level, I should be able to do so.

I have no issues with soldered ram as I’ve had to reseat the ram modules in a lot of laptops at school, but storage should be removable. It can’t be due to security of the T2 chip or M1 chip. The Mac Pro uses socketed storage.
You are so right on so many levels. The guy is miserable! But still a good channel. I keep my Volvo 240 on the road with my Bentley service manual, and I completely agree that it would be harmless to lift the veil of secrecy on old, obsolete products that apple doesn't want to support anymore.

Reactions: Dan Holmstock
Comment

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
Nice to have these ahead of time, but logic board schematics get leaked regularly and packed by Refox, ZXW, and Wuxiji. All you need is a subscription license. There’s no need to hack Quanta for these.

This is a “feel good” article that appeals to those who don’t know about repair, but not much more.

Reactions: DanTSX
Comment

genovelle

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
I don’t believe in the whole right to repair concept. Too many crap people who halfass do stuff. It also ties the hands of the designers. If Apple was forced to put replaceable batteries in phones the life of the device is decreased. The glue and soldering serve a purpose and it’s not to limit tampering, it’s to limit motion. By minimizing moving parts and unnecessary vibrations components work more efficiently and last longer.
I had 3 Palm Treo Smartphones before the iPhone came out. The achilles’ heel of that device was the removable battery. The connection failed over time and had the potential to fry other components under the right conditions.

The iPhone got a lot of heat for no quick swap batteries, but the quality and longer life of the battery and device made a huge difference.

Last edited:
Comment

Spock

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I don’t believe in the whole right to repair concept. Too many crap people who halfass do stuff. It also ties the hands of the designers. If Apple was forced to put replaceable batteries in phones the life of the device is decreased. The glue and Soldering
Batteries are replaceable in an iPhone with very little effort. And I’m not sure why you think replacing a battery in an iPhone decreases the life of the device, that’s just silly.

Comment

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
I'm happy to see leaks put to good use for once.

More glue, more soldering SSDs, more increases is cost, the more valuable repair schematics are.

I do hope Apple does align itself to right of repair movement at some point, sooner rather than later.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.