Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new set of renders claims to showcase the design of the upcoming third-generation AirPods, which could be announced during a rumored Apple event later this month.

airpods-3-gizmochina.jpg

The renders were shared by Gizmochina, which claims to have received the renders from a "supplier." The images depict AirPods with a shorter stem, similar to the AirPods Pro, and a smaller charging case. This information lines up with reporting from Bloomberg which states that the design of the new AirPods takes inspiration from the AirPods Pro, although they will lack certain Pro features such as Active Noise Cancellation.

The renders should be taken with a grain of salt. However, the images were shared by the Twitter account @Duanrui1205, which has in the past shared accurate information, possibly adding validity to them. The renders also fall in line with alleged real-life images of the upcoming AirPods, which show them with a smaller stem and replaceable ear tips.

gizmochina-airpods-3-render@3x.jpg

Just this week, Chinese leaker "Kang" reported that Apple is planning to hold its long-awaited spring event on March 23. That event is expected to headline AirTags, new iPad models, and possibly the updated third-generation AirPods. Apple is also working on second-generation AirPods Pro, which are rumored to be more compact by eliminating the stem and adopting an earbud design similar to the Galaxy and Google Buds.

Article Link: Leaked Renders Claim to Show Third-Generation AirPods Design

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike_Trivisonno

dz5b609

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2019
I think this actually is the design so without replaceable ear tips. Which also would differentiate them from the Airpods Pro besides no ANC.

The replacable ear tips rumor always was a bit weird to me, would have meant Apple completely vacating the non-invasive buds which they've always had and that a lot of people love.

rajador

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2010
I was wondering if they actually know the hate/love ratio of those silicone ear tips among their users , my guess is something like 80%/20%. So annoying to have these in your hearing canals...

SWAON

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2017
Europe
By the look of it, don't think it will fit my ear, again. If there's no eartip, don't se them sticking properly at all.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I still don’t think they’re coming with ear tips. Or maybe they can be used with or without. And why does not one pic or render show the tip. From the looks of it these would go FARTHER in the ear than the pros. No thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.