Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Serial leaker Jon Prosser has today claimed the new Apple TV 4K will launch on May 21, the same day that the new redesigned 24-inch iMac and new iPad Pro models are now expected to become available, based on retailer listings.

apple-tv-4k-design-clue.jpg

Prosser's claim came in a tweet updating his earlier predictions for the launch dates of Apple's new iPad Pro, shortly after MacRumors broke the news about UK retailer John Lewis pegging availability for the iMac and iPad Pro at May 21.

Prosser now also believes both models of iPad Pro will launch on May 21, rather than the 11-inch model arriving the following day, May 22 – his previous claim. According to the leaker, the May 22 date is "linked to the 5G model for a certain carrier and should be disregarded for the most part."

Pre-orders for the new Apple TV 4K open on Friday, April 30. The latest Apple TV 4K features a faster A12 Bionic chip, support for high-framerate HDR, and a redesigned Siri Remote.

Article Link: Leaker Claims New Apple TV 4K to Launch May 21

Last edited:

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007
Can't wait for new AppleTV! I want to test A12 vs A10X, gaming wise A10X should be faster but AppleTV has active cooling, so the A12 inside could be more like A12X.

Reactions: orbital~debris

ikir

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2007
Buttons on the remote:
TV volume - check
TV on/off - check
TV input switcher - not yet. Planned for the next update in 5 years.
TV on off could use CEC, I don't think there is any chance to use input switcher since AppleTV itself is a device, the TV itself must choose. If you have CEC enabled HDMI port, when you tun on AppleTV it turn on TV, same for turning off.

smythey

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
It looks like the remote has a removable section at the bottom with two screws. Could this be to replace the Li-ion battery? The female lightning port would have to come out too by the looks of it.

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
I think a new Apple Home Theater Gaming product is coming, but I think it’s a mistake to assume it’s going to be an Apple Tv. Less of a Roku, more of a Airplay 3.0 wireless surround sound Receiver merged with a game Console. To make all that work, they’ll need to also relaunch Homepods as Theater-Pods and launch the Sub-Pod which will use the iphone’s built in microphone for easy calibration just like Elac subs but better.

shuttaman

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2017

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Every so often I hear about how the Apple TV will become this gaming console. Even with an M1, what games other than iPad or even Mac games could it play if it did? It wouldn’t have Rosetta do all it could play are m1 compatible games. Until apple has enough triple A games there it won’t be much more than Apple Arcade compatible. I wonder if console makers would ever pair up with hardware makers to make console compatible devices? It would be so much better if you could download and play Nintendo games for example on it. If they made porting over console games a breeze they might have something to build on. But as is, there won’t be anything on an Apple TV that isn’t already on a mac. And these days it’s less than before so a gaming Apple TV just isn’t ready for a few more years I think.

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
Can't wait for new AppleTV! I want to test A12 vs A10X, gaming wise A10X should be faster but AppleTV has active cooling, so the A12 inside could be more like A12X.
Yeah man, that active cooling is quite an interesting development. The removal of the USB port is also interesting from a thermal perspective, and a gaming perspective, as users would probably want to throw egpu’s on it if it was going hard into gaming and had an open port.

macjaffa

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
does the apple tv 4K allow me to wireless airplay/mirror my MBP 16" to my 4K TV without black bars, and ideally at full/4K res ? I have old apple TV and I can only get 1080p on my 4K screen. BTW, wireless airdisplay is pretty dang awesome.

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
Every so often I hear about how the Apple TV will become this gaming console. Even with an M1, what games other than iPad or even Mac games could it play if it did? It wouldn’t have Rosetta do all it could play are m1 compatible games. Until apple has enough triple A games there it won’t be much more than Apple Arcade compatible. I wonder if console makers would ever pair up with hardware makers to make console compatible devices? It would be so much better if you could download and play Nintendo games for example on it. If they made porting over console games a breeze they might have something to build on. But as is, there won’t be anything on an Apple TV that isn’t already on a mac. And these days it’s less than before so a gaming Apple TV just isn’t ready for a few more years I think.
I think they’re banking on the iOS developer base to rise to the occasion, I could see Nintendo licensing games for 3rd parties, but I suspect Nintendo will shake things up with a new console powered by custom Nvidia silicon in the near future. Microsoft is offering game pass to third parties, and with chip shortages and neck and neck performance with playstation 5. I could see both playstation and Microsoft rolling out new consoles ahead of cycle. Maybe even offering compromised revisions due to shortages. I even suspect the use of A12 instead of A14 was from this same supply chain caution, but if the rumors are true, I think A14 is close behind, and maybe in a whole new gaming centric gizmo.

macjaffa

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
Why do people get these when you can get a perfectly good firetv or Roku for under $50? Plus with the firetv, you can sideload stuff on it.
Oh great you too can have the same thing except now you have to load stuff on in jank mode, and hope nothing breaks when there's an update. errr no thanks. Also, why do people buy BMW when you can buy a perfectly good hyundai for less than half the price ? Have you even heard of the apple eco system.?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.