Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Leaker L0vetodream this morning posted a tweet corroborating recent rumors that Apple's "iPhone 12" lineup won't come with EarPods or a charger in the box, adding that this will also eventually apply to the existing second-generation iPhone SE.

Barclays-iP12-remove-charger-earpods.jpg

L0vetodream also claims that future iPhone packaging will be "thinner" and "exquisite," which would make sense if Apple's handsets are set to come in lieu of a bulky power adapter and EarPods case. Apple is already renowned for its svelte, economical packaging, and slimming down its iPhone boxes would cut down on waste and shipping costs.

The lack of a charger and EarPods lines up with predictions made by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and analysts at Barclays last week. Apple is expected to release a separate new 20W power adapter as an optional accessory for iPhones and end production of its existing 5W and 18W power adapters later this year.

The form factor of the new 20W power adapter is said to be similar to the 18W version, with USB-C Power Delivery for fast charging. Kuo also expects that Apple will stop including a 5W power adapter with the current second-generation iPhone SE later this year.

Barclays still expects Apple to include a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box as the only accessory included with the "iPhone 12," which is expected to come in four models: One new 5.4-inch device, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch handset.

Rumors suggest the 6.7-inch ‌iPhone‌ and one 6.1-inch model will be higher-end OLED devices with triple-lens cameras, while the 5.4 and 6.1-inch models will be lower-end iPhones with dual-lens cameras and a more affordable price tag.

Article Link: Leaker: Future iPhone Models to Come in 'Exquisite' Thinner Box

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
they will probably proudly announce that the iPhone will come with the "incredible new technology 5G" while keeping the same price*

*ignoring the fact that it will come without charger or earphones, saving them some extra bugs, probably even on distrubtion

As an alternative they will present some pretty charts showing how many people have already a lot of chargers at home and that Apple does it's best to be environmental, by giving customers, who still need one, the opportunity, to purchase the incredible new charger individually at only "xy dollars"

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think the right way to do this properly is to offer either a discount on a charger within say x weeks of buying a new phone, or straight up offering chargers for a very low price. So it's not as big a slap as you first think.

It just hurts those moving to Apple for the first time, when they are the people you want to deliver the "wow" to!

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I'm all for avoiding extra junk. I have like three unused Lightning earpods, and nobody wants them because everybody has AirPods and they don'tt work with other devices.

But there's always someone who'll need a charger and charging extra (no pun intended) makes Apple look cheap.

The best solution would be to include a coupon to pick either a free charger or like 5$ App Store credit. Of course that doesn't sound like Apple. ;) But it would reduce waste a lot. Plenty people have enough chargers.

youdontsay

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2013
There will be earphone in the box, at least in France :)
This decision should nevertheless come up against European regulations, which specifies in its French version that “Radio terminals intended to be connected to a network open to the public for the provision of telephony service cannot be marketed without an accessory making it possible to limit the 'exposure of the head to radio emissions during communications'. In other words, it is impossible to sell the iPhone without its headphones within the European Union.

This is a transcription of an EU law as described by Consomac

mbdownunder

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
I can understand the view that pretty much everyone already has a big collection of chargers, but the media will definitely take the negative view. "A $1000 phone without a charger? Absurd!"

To the author: Your usage of "in lieu of" is way off. It doesn't mean "without"; it means "in place of".

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Radio terminals intended to be connected to a network open to the public for the provision of telephone service cannot be marketed without an accessory making it possible to limit the 'exposure of the head to radio emissions during communications' . In other words, it is impossible to sell the iPhone without its headphones within the European Union.

foobarbaz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2007
I have no problem if they leave out the Ear Pods and the charger. But the price of the phone needs to be adjusted if
they leave out $29 headphones and the $19 charger.

But how would you ever measure that? Maybe they put in more flash storage or a better screen. How would you know what the price would have been without leaving out the accessories?

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Radio terminals intended to be connected to a network open to the public for the provision of telephone service cannot be marketed without an accessory making it possible to limit the 'exposure of the head to radio emissions during communications' . In other words, it is impossible to sell the iPhone without its headphones within the European Union.
I don’t know anything about this law, but in your quote it doesn’t say anything about it having to be included, so as long as Apple sells EarPods it seems to be something still true.

Reactions: TiggrToo and CarlJ

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
So the prediction is if the box contains less Apple will make it thinner.

Yeah.

L0vetodream also claims that future iPhone packaging will be "thinner" and "exquisite," which would make sense if Apple's handsets are set to come in lieu of a bulky power adapter and EarPods case. Apple is already renowned for its svelte, economical packaging, and slimming down its ‌iPhone‌ boxes would cut down on waste and shipping costs.
"In lieu" means instead of, not without. If we're getting handsets instead of power adapters and headphones then we'll be getting two three handsets per box!

It's hard for me to belive it.

I have and iPhone 7, so I have power brick.. but 5W. So with new iPhone I have to either buy one 18/20W from apple or one from third party company.

This. is. just. stupic. lol
It's not stupid, on the contrary it's eminently sensible. If you need a plug you can buy one; if like literally billions of people, you have plenty already then you can buy a phone without one. This way you have a choice. It's the only sensible option I can see.

Last edited:

Don1985

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2017
Paisley
I am for Apple doing this as it will have a huge environmental impact with the volume of devices they sell each year...

However, I believe they should do it in two years time, with the iPhone 13 or whatever.

The reason being that they have always included a rubbish 5w charger until the iPhone 11 Pro last year. If people pick up an 20w charger with their next iPhone (in the box, for "free") then they'd be happy to keep using it for years to come.*

I don't think many people will miss EarPods now. Most people use some variant of bluetooth earphone now.

*I've personally bought an Anker 18w when I got my iPhone XS, so this isn't so much for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.