Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fairuz

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2017
Silicon Valley
Regular people don't care what the names mean though. I worked at Apple retail for a few years, and I can tell you that nobody bought a phone based on the Plus, SE, C, S, etc model number. The hardcore enough already knew what they wanted, and most others chose 90% based on screen size once the 6 launched. I don't suspect most "regular" consumers are going to give the names more than a 10 second consideration, merely to know what to tell their friends that they bought.
The problem isn't the names but the number of different iPhones that are all very similar. But regular people do unconsciously care about the names, which is why choosing a good name is part of the marketing.

Last edited:

bombardier.v2

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2008
I held out too, and then finally took the dive on a 7+. I'm glad I did, it's probably the best phone I've ever owned. The camera is amazing, the screen is great for media and the landscape stereo speakers are nice and loud for music. The bigger size only felt odd for about 2-3 weeks while I got used to new hand positions. Keep a case on it to protect against those inevitable drops.
I definitely wouldn't go to a Plus, but I must admit, it's a toss-up between a normal 7 and an SE for me now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.