Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hereforbeer

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
Anyone getting the MagSafe charger with the leather case or skipping out to avoid the ring?
I am. I think MagSafe charging is a huge part of 12 upgrade experience. No way I'm missing out. I'm going with California Poppy though because IMHO the ring will not only effect but will also look worse on darker cases.

• Love
Reactions: JamiLynee

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Anyone getting the MagSafe charger with the leather case or skipping out to avoid the ring?

I am avoiding the mag safe charger, not because of the ring, but because its basically useless.. i have a nomad base station on my night stand for my phone, apple watch, and AirPods. The magsafe would be a silly looking thing to add, I can already feel the hassle of having to pick it up off the ground all the time, seems like it would never stay on a surface without an extra purchase.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I really don’t understand the appeal or usefulness of MagSafe for iPhones, to be honest. Lightning charges faster and allows you to still use the phone. There’s still a cord attached to the puck... I guess I just don’t see the point.

I also would rather not have an imprint on my leather case.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Just want to point out that these are a similar design to the 5/5S case which did not age well, especially saddle brown. The curved nature of the iPhone 6-11 allowed the hand to wrap more around the case making for better patina. I'll be very curious to see how the saddle brown ages in the coming weeks!

Reactions: nrvous1

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
Just want to point out that these are a similar design to the 5/5S case which did not age well, especially saddle brown. The curved nature of the iPhone 6-11 allowed the hand to wrap more around the case making for better patina. I'll be very curious to see how the saddle brown ages in the coming weeks!
I’m curious as well and one of the reasons I’m holding onto my saddle brown.

chhhrrriiisss

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Connecticut

I ordered a MagSafe charger when I originally purchased my 12 Pro with my silicone case. I’ve since returned the phone and case and I’m getting my leather case with my 12PM tomorrow.

s2k_esoj

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2019
0CA3C137-B297-424C-9452-0E94EBB385F2.jpeg
Baltic Blue and Saddle Brown will be my rotation for this year I am torn between the two I can’t decide which one to use first my Pacific Blue Pro Max arrives tomorrow

MargieStotch

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
Can you please show the phone from the front with the screen on?
DC5794F7-2260-4720-95DD-58EBD38EE2D6.jpeg

The edge of the phone is still visible with the case on. Some people prefer to see the edges, some don’t.

this has been my main case for about a week and I haven’t noticed any immediate patina changes yet (and i get clammy hands often, which was noticeable on my first Saddle Brown case after a few days). So the case is still as vibrant as the day I got it so far, which I know it’s too soon to say, but I really do love how bright it is.

Attachments

• C4C81DE3-1F0A-48CE-A1A2-DC4DEF4112CB.jpeg
    C4C81DE3-1F0A-48CE-A1A2-DC4DEF4112CB.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 8775C657-165E-48C4-B4D4-5590674D38FA.jpeg
    8775C657-165E-48C4-B4D4-5590674D38FA.jpeg
    326.7 KB · Views: 178
  • 0FBD08E0-5773-43FF-B43B-117B52CB5C76.jpeg
    0FBD08E0-5773-43FF-B43B-117B52CB5C76.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 187

hereforbeer

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
So I’ve noticed that 12 cases do not mention the words European, French or Natural before leather. They do mention French leather for sleeve and wallet. There is no Natural Leather stamp on the case as well. So most likely Apple switched to a bonded leather of some sort. Probably due to Magsafe and wallet.

But either way, don’t expect these cases to Patina as much or as beautifully. I am thinking with regular cleaning they will maintain their original look.

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
So I’ve noticed that 12 cases do not mention the words European, French or Natural before leather. They do mention French leather for sleeve and wallet. There is no Natural Leather stamp on the case as well. So most likely Apple switched to a bonded leather of some sort. Probably due to Magsafe and wallet.

But either way, don’t expect these cases to Patina as much or as beautifully. I am thinking with regular cleaning they will maintain their original look.
My thoughts exactly. Comparing the 12 saddle brown to my se2/8 saddle brown are two totally different materials. Also, more than likely the cause of the plastic smell rather than natural vegetable tanned leather scent with the 12 series “leather” cases apple is offering this year. I hope I’m wrong and would love to see some patina proud posts with the 12 cases.

Sugadaddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010

It says Natural Leather on the box.

Reactions: gjr74

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018

This is from the box and leaflet in the box.

By the way, the leaflets in the box absolutely stink so I’m wondering if the synthetic smell people complain of is just where the cases have been in packaging. All of my leather cases I have had delivered (and returned) smell of leather on the outside but the microfibre inner smells of the leaflets.

Attachments

• 915D5561-EA5D-4264-9F55-BD6CED28698B.jpeg
    915D5561-EA5D-4264-9F55-BD6CED28698B.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 138
  • 254CED8A-0D5C-4380-8D8F-E22BE5B032F2.jpeg
    254CED8A-0D5C-4380-8D8F-E22BE5B032F2.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 151

TeeWrecks

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2015
Bronx, NY
I am. I think MagSafe charging is a huge part of 12 upgrade experience. No way I'm missing out. I'm going with California Poppy though because IMHO the ring will not only effect but will also look worse on darker cases.
how? the ring is going to be more noticeable on a lighter case....

hereforbeer

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2020
My thoughts exactly. Comparing the 12 saddle brown to my se2/8 saddle brown are two totally different materials. Also, more than likely the cause of the plastic smell rather than natural vegetable tanned leather scent with the 12 series “leather” cases apple is offering this year. I hope I’m wrong and would love to see some patina proud posts with the 12 cases.

Apple is definitely having an off year with accessories. And my guess is it's due to pandemic and shifting suppliers or availability of things. For example, for series 6, the silicone band that came with watch used to have that soft silicone-y finish which took a good 5-6 months to wear off into a smooth plastic-y band. This year, the band just didn't have that soft feel. It was like plastic on day 1. Then I ordered sports loop, and while the velcro feels as strong as before, it takes more force to securely lock it in.

This is from the box and leaflet in the box.

By the way, the leaflets in the box absolutely stink so I’m wondering if the synthetic smell people complain of is just where the cases have been in packaging. All of my leather cases I have had delivered (and returned) smell of leather on the outside but the microfibre inner smells of the leaflets.

That logo means it is at least not bonded. Maybe they didn't write origin because they are sourcing from multiple locations. They also had to make it more durable and thinner due to MagSafe, so I still expect the cases to behave differently. How are your cases fitting in though?

how? the ring is going to be more noticeable on a lighter case....

It's just a hunch. Also, lighter cases behave more synthetic than Blue and Saddle Brown.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.