Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
Oh no you have it all wrong. Americans in general don’t want to sue everyone… personal injury attorneys do. They make careers off of seeking people out who have been “victims” of… medical malpractice etc…
Victims of medical malpractice are “victims?” I know that there are people who’re exaggerating any lasting effects they’ve had (often not on purpose; that’s just how they naturally feel about it), but plenty of them are legitimate. Why dismiss them all as being a joke?

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Just because you don’t approve, that doesn’t mean others don’t find purpose or value in the product at hand. It also doesn’t make said product dumb, in and of itself. It is a good thing we don’t have to seek your buying approval ahead of time.

It’s just an opinion. I’ve tried a sleeve myself for a bit and found it nothing but annoying but to each their own.

MagSafe didn’t get too great a reception and this thing as the comments suggest finds no takers here but yourself.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
That's probably because no one in their right mind would buy this:

Does it protect my phone: resounding yes

Can I see my notifications: No but you can see the time in the same colour as the case!!

Can I answer my phone while it's in the case: wellll no there's no buttons for that, but look at the fancy leather!!

What about my cards?: we've got you covered you can keep one card in the case with your phone!

Just one card: hell yeah, if you can afford this you only need one card!!

Can I get to my phone quickly: don't be silly when you pay this much for a case that's your assistants job!!!
I don’t think any of your complaints matter to those who buy the product, but they are valid reasons for you not to buy.

Whether Apple sells 20 or 20 million, does it make a difference to you? Would you be less triggered if Apple did sell 20 million?

Or are you just upset because you don’t think Apple will sell enough of these? If that’s your concern... why? Why could you possibly care how many of these sleeves Apple will sell?

I don’t get it... what’s the problem again?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It’s just an opinion. I’ve tried a sleeve myself for a bit and found it nothing but annoying but to each their own.

MagSafe didn’t get too great a reception and this thing as the comments suggest finds no takers here but yourself.
A few clickbait techtubers is all it takes to get the MR Apple hate club up in arms ?

MagSafe is going to be a huge hit, no matter how many techtubers scrape the wallet off on their skinny jeans lol. It’ll also be a hugely profitable ecosystem for third parties, which is great for Apple too.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

I have never tried a sleeve. I have two different ones ordered. If they don’t work out, I am fine with that. I can always go back to my Apple leather and silicone cases.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I’m a millennial, and I used a leather pouch for my iPhone 4 for a couple years - and liked it. The primary driver was being able to use the phone naked. Definitely had to get used to pulling it out and putting it back in all the time, but I loved how it completely protected the screen when it was stored, and how I could enjoy the iPhone’s form factor (a nice design change from the 3 series) while using it.

The thing that dissuades me from going with Apple’s sleeve now is mostly the price (I bought a Sena leather sleeve for $35), and the apparent design miss of lighting up the entire screen to show the time in the window, instead of only activating the pixels in the window. Lastly, I wouldn’t be using the strap or card insert, both of which likely constitute a notable part of the retail cost.

Admittedly, part of what makes sleeves work for me is that the Apple Watch now takes care of most of my notifications.

At the end of the day the sleeve can definitely be an unforgiving but purposeful and unique compromise. I do have another slim case for when I’m using the phone with tripods or other constant photography work, and yet another somewhat ridiculous ruggedized case for when I’m working on towers.

After covering up my X for three years with a leather case, and having black/slate iPhones since the 3GS, I’m really enjoying seeing my Pacific Blue Pro every time I use it, and feeling the edge of the glass and stainless steel (instead of a case lip) when swiping is awesome.

Gorgeous phone.

Not sure if you have much experience with sleeves on items you use dozens of times a day. Stupid is the most charming word that comes to mind, but that’s just an opinion.

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
That’s all it takes to trigger the Apple hate club here in MR ?‍♂️
I mean I guess. I love apple more than the next guy. I think this is an attractive accessory, I just don’t get it. I’m totally fine with not being the target demographic, but I can’t figure out who IS the target demographic.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I mean I guess. I love apple more than the next guy. I think this is an attractive accessory, I just don’t get it. I’m totally fine with not being the target demographic, but I can’t figure out who IS the target demographic.
I hear you, and the best answer I can give you for the target audience is... people who want a sleeve like this ?

I’m being a little flip, but if Apple plops this sleeve down in front of a sample of iPhone owners and asks them, is this something you’d buy for $129, and 3% say yes, that’s enough. (Enough to get it in the store as a new product.)

If Apple sells 3 million of the damn things—as stupid as some might think they are, and they might even be right about that—that’s $400 million in revenue.

It’s a good thing for everyone, since it subsidizes other products. To the extent some customers buy expensive (and high margin) accessories, Apple can reduce pricing somewhere else. Just like expensive RAM/SSD upgrades subsidize base prices.

Apple will no doubt drill down and find out what users like best and how they might improve it, so as to give it broader appeal. And maybe they’ll even figure out how to market it more effectively to potential customers.

Last edited:

riteshritesh

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2016
Mumbai INDIA
I used to have a similar thing for my Nokia E61 or maybe the BB Curve ( can't really remember)and it would need both the hands to get it out. If you can answer calls through this sleeve, it will find a lot of buyers, but then it needs to have stretchable elastic on the loop, which you can just pull to answer while the sleeve is attached to your trouser belt.Too complicated for me to try it again.

Bobajobbob

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2005
Apologies if this has already been addressed in this thread but does anyone know what triggers the always on time on the lock screen? I assume that it must be related to the mag safe batteries in some way or is there an RFID chip embedded somewhere? It's the same with the way the phone can identify the colour of the silicon mag safe cases.

If we know how it works then maybe it could be hacked to have the always on time with normal cases too.

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
I was going to buy it because I thought it was perfect for isolating the magnets and protecting any magnetic-sensitive material you would be wearing in your pocket, until I arrived to the line where it says you can charge the phone through the sleeve. Oh well...

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
Apologies if this has already been addressed in this thread but does anyone know what triggers the always on time on the lock screen? I assume that it must be related to the mag safe batteries in some way or is there an RFID chip embedded somewhere? It's the same with the way the phone can identify the colour of the silicon mag safe cases.

If we know how it works then maybe it could be hacked to have the always on time with normal cases too.
I’m afraid you’re mistaken about there being an always-on display on the sleeve. As the video a post or two above mine shows, you have to tap the cutout to get the time to show up. Even then, it lights up the entire screen underneath the sleeve. I’m unsure why they chose to do it this way, but it is what it is.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Not sure if you have much experience with sleeves on items you use dozens of times a day. Stupid is the most charming word that comes to mind, but that’s just an opinion.
Why would I use a sleeve on anything I use dozens of times a day? That is stupid.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Why would I use a sleeve on anything I use dozens of times a day? That is stupid.

Well that is what millions do every day, use their mobile phones many times a day.

Owning a communication device like a smartphone and not using it most of the time sounds like an edge case to me.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Some of us don’t live on our phones. We have an Apple Watch that makes it a lot easier to view and keep in contact with. And if I want to consume a large amount of content I have a iPad Pro.

Just because it stupid for you, doesn’t mean it is stupid for others.

Why keep money and credentials in a wallet (sleeve like device) in your back pocket, when you use it several times a day? Many use the wallet in that manner and don’t think twice about it. And yet, many of those same people see using a iPhone sleeve for transportation (instead of a iPhone case) as stupid and unnecessary, all because said persons wouldn’t use the device.

It is a good thing I don’t live my life based on what strangers think. Otherwise, my life would be very chaotic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.