Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Wrong.

Those PC's are useless, and nothing you say is true.

Don't know how things are in Portugal but in the USA there is a good market for PCs that can have storage, memory and GPUs easily upgraded.

Additionally I can find none of the missing Mac models I mentioned in Apple's catalog.

Finally one can buy a business oriented HP with Haswell i7, lots of memory and storage expansion, six to eight USB ports, three-year warranty and PCIe slots for about the price of an i7 mini. I own a mini but it cannot hold a candle to competing PCs. Its only claim to fame is that it is very well built and has OSX.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
sure, build quality, weight and dimensions are nice on a macbook. but do they outweigh the performance the system can deliver? there is no problem with the build quality. what about it? apple-customer seem to think if a device is not made of aluminium, it falls apart when you touch it. weight and thinness, for me personally, isnt a factor. the macbook weight around 2 kilos, the schenker around 2.7 kilos. sure thats 700 grams more, but its still not a lot of weight in total to begin with. i dont hold it with one hand and type with the other while walking around anyway.

the standard warranty for schenker is 2 years. dont know about repair time, never had to use it.
also, there is a difference between pci-e and sata3, but its not huge.

and i didnt know i cant find intel core i7 in other computers...?!

the point is: if you're only looking for the best price-performance deal, there are far better options than a macbook. schenker isnt the only company offering custom laptops for a decent price. yeah they are not going to have the built quality of highend samsung or asus laptops or macbook, but you arent throwing your laptop at the ground or are stepping on it arent you. its been 5-6 years with my plastic samsung laptop and its perfectly fine to this day. built quality is nice, but overrated.

The MODEL of i7. Unless you're saying an i7 is an i7, in which case you're not qualified to argue about hardware.

And again, you say 'but these things don't matter to me'. If you want to compare Apples to Apples, find a same-spec system with the same battery life and profile. It won't be cheaper. People like you who think all that makes a laptop is GPU, CPU, RAM & SSD always come out with the same argument. Then when somebody talks about battery life, or thinness, you then retort with 'that doesn't matter to me'. It's a non-argument, because it's still hardware.

My point is, anyone can chuck a high-end i7, SSD and loads of RAM into a laptop that's thick, heavy and poor quality. There's no innovation in that. You want to talk about Apples being overpriced? Find something that offers exactly what the MacBook Pro does, and then compare the prices.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
God people can be annoying sometimes.

If this was "Apple passes Lenovo" you'd say "not surprising, quality and quantity"

What a joke

100%....the news section here is just appalling and cringe worthy. Bring up the name of any other company and the thread is a guaranteed success; destined to go an endless amount of pages.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Let me guess, market share means nothing now, but when Apple's was increasing, it was important. :eek:

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Marketshare luckily isn't reflective of quality. HP and Lenovo both churn out the cheapest crap they can, with failure rates (overheating for HPs, everything else for the Lenovos) unparalleled in the industry.

It's a shame that parents and consumers simply see the price tag and buy solely on that. Nonetheless, people who buy HP certainly don't buy them again -- different story for Apple.

Its not parents/consumers. It businesses that have been and continue to drive market share. They are heavily invested in Windows/Microsoft software and re-tooling to a different platform is not easy. There are network considerations, along with email, and desktop app considerations. So businesses are the driving force to market share and have been since the 1980s. Whats funny is that many, many companies ARE buying Macs for their employees but are still running Windows via a virtual machine or a 2nd machine.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Apple, start offering decent desktops and people will by them. It seems like they get the drill with laptops as most people love them, but for some reasons, they have a hard time figuring out what to do with the desktops.

- mac mini - hasn't seen a refresh in ages, it is so overdue, also it would be nice if Apple had any decent monitors to go with this system.
- imac - the $1100 model is crap - barely offering a better performance (if that) than a $200 PC HP/DELL crap.

On one end, I like how Apple is all about advancing and dropping legacy technologies (floppies, cd/dvd drives, usb2 etc), but WTF they think when they put 5400 rpm crappy drive in $1100-1500 21" iMac or better yet 7200rpm in $1800-2000 27" system?
I would have definitely considered an iMac if those base prices at least included 256GB SSDs, but for now, I will enjoy my Windows PC that runs circles around any iMac. I have no issues with Apple laptops as I love my macbook air as well as my iPad and iPhone but their desktops are too overpriced in the base forms (yes, I know that SSD can be CTO, but that adds another $200 to already overpriced price tag). There is always a hope that perhaps next year iMacs will see SSD in a base model.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
That's a huge drop.

I know the desktop market for Apple is small potatoes compared to the iPhone, but it still needs to advertise at least a little. I see nothing for the Mac today. A new ad here and there would not hurt. Especially when Windows 8 has been so maligned. Apple should have struck immediately after the Windows 8 fiasco.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Laptops or desktops? Unless you wear heatproof undies you can't say their laptops have got a decent thermal system.

Mostly desktops. The HP laptops I've bought were for family members. One is still in use (only about a year old), replacing one that gave a good 5 years of service. My brother did comment that the old one got hot, but they say you shouldn't use laptops on your lap anyway. I'm not saying that HP machines are perfect, but in terms of value they're pretty good. I could spend two or three times as much for a Mac, but it wouldn't fulfil my needs significantly better.

This is probably why HP is leading. Their machines aren't the best, but they're inexpensive and get the job done. Honda Civics will always outsell Ferraris.

slash7844

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
This is very simple. Flashback April 8th of this year: Microsoft ceases support for Windows XP.

What did that mean? Every school and business that used XP needed to upgrade either their OS or computer. But most Windows users do not upgrade OSes, they just buy a new computer because the old one either doesn't meet or barely meets minimum install requirements.

What does that mean? That this is likely a blip and has more to do with Windows than Apple's Mac lineup.

So do your 2001 iMacs run latest OSX??

jeremysteele

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2011
Not a big shock. When you sell the same product over and over people will eventually learn and leave.

Macs have not undergone any major changes, aside from SSDs and retina displays, in the last 4 years. This 4GB ram bullcrap has to end too. It's 2014, not 2004.

And no, a redesigned $3,000 mac pro doesn't count as a "major change".

fuchsdh

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2014
Marketshare luckily isn't reflective of quality. HP and Lenovo both churn out the cheapest crap they can, with failure rates (overheating for HPs, everything else for the Lenovos) unparalleled in the industry.

It's a shame that parents and consumers simply see the price tag and buy solely on that. Nonetheless, people who buy HP certainly don't buy them again -- different story for Apple.

At least in the workstation market HP is generally a fairly solid price and reliable (although I did just have to replace the PSU on a work Z820). But I doubt that has anything to do with the bulk of these numbers.

To me it suggests people in the market for a Mac actually do pay attention to product lifecycles, which I guess is contrary to popular belief for general computer buyers in general.

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
How the hell is HP number one? I understand Lenovo doing well and can even see why dell is but HP is a horribly messy company flailing around trying to get back on track and their products are not great at all.

Corporates get a good deal for machines that are "good enough". We are currently replacing all the XP machines with Win 7 machines, this comes into the thousands of new boxes for us over the newt 6 months.

Next year, look for those numbers to plummet again

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Not a big shock. When you sell the same product over and over people will eventually learn and leave.

Macs have not undergone any major changes, aside from SSDs and retina displays, in the last 4 years. This 4GB ram bullcrap has to end too. It's 2014, not 2004.

And no, a redesigned $3,000 mac pro doesn't count.
So what is your point? not really understanding your point

slash7844

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
People mostly buy Apple hardware just to be able to use OS X. If they don't need OS X, they won't buy Apple, simple as that. I needed a home theatre-home server machine. Did i buy apple? Of course not, i just built myself a 400$ perfect little computer that can contain 5-6 HDDs inside, running windows 7 or something and it's great. And don't even try telling me that apple hardware is premium or BS like that. The only premium thing they build as hardware are .. CASES lol. The rest they buy from everybody else. Btw, that new 400$ Pc is pretty much faster and better under any aspect than my 2007 iMac. But i'm still using the iMac. Cause i love OS X.

P.S. Talking about PCs i'm talking about self built PCs, when YOU choose what you build. Not lenovo or hp or anything like that, obviously.

Yet, a lot of people install bootcamp to use Windows and some just plainly installs Windows.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
That's what happens with when you practice planned obsolescence with non-upgradeable RAM and yearly OS upgrades that slow down any non-current model.

Why not 10.9.8 or 10.9.11 instead of 10.10?

thermal

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
If the next Macbook Pro's don't come with a matte option, I'll rethink my purchase. My 15" Macbook Pro is virtually unusable outdoors due to reflection/glare.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Apple Needs to Pay Attention to Best Buy and Fry's Etc.

Apple needs to really start paying attention to Best Buy and Fry's, etc. I've noticed in recent years the Mac sections of those stores have become very dilapidated and run-down looking, and the sales staff never spends time over there with customers.

Apple used to make a concerted effort to have really nice Apple sections at all these stores, educate the staff, have reps come out, etc. But I haven't seen that kind of love in years, and it really is starting to show in Mac sales vs. the other guys now.

Apple's products are still just as compelling and just as much better, but they need to get back into shape in the third-party retail channels like big box stores. Put some spiffs on their machines for the sales people. Get the merchandising up to snuff. Set up better product demos.

With Windows 8 being such a hated piece of crap, Apple is really missing a huge opportunity to gain market share in these kinds of stores where it could be massively promoting all the nice advantages of the Mac system. Heck now with Oracle VirtualBox being free, all you need is an old Windows install disk to run Windows right alongside OS X and it's fast!

Sigh.

slash7844

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2013
Wrong.

Those PC's are useless, and nothing you say is true. The only advantage of PC "modularity" is for manufacturers to ship more models, which is not a problem for Apple, specially in this day and age.

"Upgrading" a PC is one of those things that got a taboo with enough push from PC "enthusiasts", salesmen, hardware manufacturers, etc...

In real therms, upgrading a single part on a system, is just stupid and economically unworthy.

If you want more performance, you can't get it just by upgrading a CPU, or RAM, or whatever. You can only get it by upgrade the WHOLE machine.

There's no performance gain in a system that runs ok with 8GB to move to 16GB or 32GB, if that memory is STILL slower, if the CPU can't access the RAM as fast.

When CPU's change appreciably, the chipsets and sockets also change, so, you won't get a radically better CPU, you get another range from the same CPU, you need to buy a radically better CPU to appreciate the difference, there's no way you'll tell the difference from a couple of MHz, yes, there are dual core, quad-core, different clock's, but that's just a small difference from generation to generation, and the best thing to do is to buy the correct CPU for your needs.

Seymour Cray

You obviously have very little experience in upgrading PC (Maybe because you never could upgrade because you were Mac user all the way?) or just clueless. Upgrading a video card or CPU alone can have significant difference in performance in gaming/rendering/compiling.

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
Or else someone will inevitably justify it by saying, "Apple makes the most profits, who cares about market share." :D

I think the real question is why people care so much.

They are companies that make products and I buy whatever product suits my needs at the time.

I have a 2008 mbp and I haven't upgraded because It has been so crappy that the internals need replacing every few months, so it's like getting a new computer. I also don't think the current rMBP line is worth it.

I also am on my fourth iPhone 5, so the quality argument doesn't really stack up for apple as a whole.

They're a company. I don't owe them anything - especially loyalty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.