It's out now on torrent sites....
So Apple couldn't hold it until friday, a bit sad

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It's out now on torrent sites....
So Apple couldn't hold it until friday, a bit sad
Is this the same release that was found to be fake last week. If not then i think this will probably be a fake anyway.

Comment

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
A quick search only showed up beta builds. Wouldn't it say somewhere when you install them that it's a beta or not?

I can't imagine how it got leaked.

Comment

jockmock

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2007
It is the final GM, It's only on private torrent sites as of now. Expect them to be up at public torrent sites in an hour or two.
I for one will buy a new macbook with leopard on it, so I'll pass on the piracy

Comment

AEP

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2007
For the price apple charge for osx i dont know why anybody would want to use a dodgy copy!

i mean come on, you get it free with your computer and if you want to upgrade it costs nothing in comparison to windoze.

some people just cant see the value in anything and dont want to look further than the end of their own noses!

Comment

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
For the price apple charge for osx i dont know why anybody would want to use a dodgy copy!

i mean come on, you get it free with your computer and if you want to upgrade it costs nothing in comparison to windoze.

some people just cant see the value in anything and dont want to look further than the end of their own noses!
Seems that Logic Studio was also released on torrent sites-yet Apple seemed to ignore that , but probably will ask torrent sites with Leopard GM to remove the illegal downloads.

Comment

sweetice2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2007
wouldnt risk it after paying £1000 for my imac and £600 for my macbook - wouldnt risk it getting some sort of attack

Comment

MRU

Suspended
Aug 23, 2005
Other

Agreed. Compare all the features of Leopard and Vista Ultimate, and then compare the prices ? You cant grumble for $69 academic and $129 regular at all.

Comment

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.

Agreed man, it's $150 maximum wherever you buy it. WTF is wrong with people.

Cheers.

Comment

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Who wants to wait for hours or days while it downloads? And then if your seeders are offline forget it (I hate torrents). I'll probably have it faster through the mail anyway.

Comment

Czechmac

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2007
London, UK
Would it be considered piracy when I already paid for my copy of Leopard, but since in the uk we won`t get it (from apple store) until monday or tuesday, I am gonna download it and install it? I am an owner of a license therefore it should!t matter in which way I obtain the software, right?

Comment

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
I'm kind of stuck here because I didn't pre-order yet, and I'm waiting to see if I'll get it free through my Apple Student Developer membership. It would have been nice if Apple would have given me an answer as yes/no, rather than say "We haven't made an announcement yet." I don't mind paying the $109, but if I can get it for free (through ADC) why should I pay?

Comment

weaverra

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
I'm kind of stuck here because I didn't pre-order yet, and I'm waiting to see if I'll get it free through my Apple Student Developer membership. It would have been nice if Apple would have given me an answer as yes/no, rather than say "We haven't made an announcement yet." I don't mind paying the $109, but if I can get it for free (through ADC) why should I pay?
I doubt student developers will since your only paying $99 vs. $499/Select & $3499/Premier. Your already getting a HUGE break.

Comment

tmoney468

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2007
Well it's stated in the terms of the ADC membership that you get monthly mailings of the latest developer tools including the latest version of OS X...so that would lead me to believe that Leopard should be shipped/available sometime after release.

Comment

Ariez

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
Well the time is near so no surprise here.

And i Doubt they will have serials since OSX really isnt there bread winner. Software is tied down to hardware (for the most part).

Comment

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
And i Doubt they will have serials since OSX really isnt there bread winner. Software is tied down to hardware (for the most part).
That and Jobs stated that he doesn't like them and bashes Microsoft for using them.

where can you buy for $69. i'm on the apple us education store now for my college, and it says pre-order now for $116.
You have to go through your school's bookstore site to get it.

Comment

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Doing a quick web search, this appears to be a "social experiment" going on by some kid with too much time on his hands. To quote from his blog:
To make pirates believers you need to create plausability:

-snip-

Now the pseudorandom factor comes into play. Mac OS X supports embedded AES encryption for DMG images. I just created an totally valid dmg containing only zeros. To hide this those zeros were AES encrypted afterwards. The beauty of the AES algorithm produces totally plausible random output for infinite zero sequence including not the tiniest clue about the uniformity of the contained data.

But why would an Apple provided Leopard dmg be encrypted? Apple doesn‘t usually do this. Implausibility alert!!! And even more, release groups don‘t do this either, at least not on the dmg level.

We need a story! So my created torrent got two files (9A581.dmg passphrase.rtf). The dmg, which can be verified (decrypted) after the download and a text file, containing the passphrase and - the story.

The story must not be too slick or cautious leechers are gonna smell a rat. So we make it a little edgy, spice it up with some emotion (aggression) and add some stereotypic elements which many people are acquainted with: an evil boss and dumb colleagues.
The price of a legitimate copy is obviously not small change for everyone, but discounts are still available for students: if you're in higher education in the US, check out your campus bookstore; if in the UK, login to apple.procureweb.ac.uk from a JANET IP. Or consider a Student ADC membership - but wait until Friday for confirmation that Leopard will be available under this programme, and remember to purchase via the education site to get a further small discount!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.