Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

one1

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
I have candybar. Every time I drag an icon to it, it simply becomes a png image rather than the icon. I assume I need to convert the png icons to another format? (how?)

nightshrill

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
I have candybar. Every time I drag an icon to it, it simply becomes a png image rather than the icon. I assume I need to convert the png icons to another format? (how?)

Pixadex will automatically convert them when adding them.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I am tired of looking for the answer to this, someone tell me how to change the dock icons (replace the safari icon for instance with another icon, but still trigger safari).

Please and thank you.

You need to change the icon of the actual program. There are several threads about this. Use CandyBar or the "Get Info" method to change the icon.

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Firstly, make sure you have an .icns file, not a png. Those are the Mac icon files.

Then you right-click the app -> Get Info -> Click on the icon in the upper left of the Get Info screen -> Copy the icon you want -> Paste it in that location.

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana
Here's my attempt on a PC:
Leopardo1.jpg

At first, I didn't care for the new look, but it sorta grew on me. :)

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana
So are you saying this was done on XP/Vista? If so that is impressive and you have to give a walkthrough.

Yup, all on XP.
Here are the things you need:

Finderbar 1.5

MacSearch
^^^Aparantley there are some other cool stuff there too.

ObjectDock (The theme has gone missing, but I can upload it for anyone who needs it.)

Icons

Wallpaper and "glass" effects here. (there are also some Leopard icons too.)

And the Visual Style

leopardo2.jpg

leopardo3.jpg

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana
I have to say it looks very good and really looks like Leopard. If you didn't say it's XP themed, then I would really believed it was OS X except for the desktop icons located on the lower top right corner. The desktop icons (especially Recycle Bin) still look Windowish.

lol, if only I could get rid of it. Also, thanks for your compliment. Though I shouldn't take all the credit for all of it. :eek:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
lol, if only I could get rid of it. Also, thanks for your compliment. Though I shouldn't take all the credit for all of it. :eek:

Well thanks for sharing and a very good job. I reckon that if i did that to my gf pc she would think i bought her a mac mini. She desperately wants a mac.

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana
Are you still going to change the Recycle Bin and Macintosh HD icons? Is there any way you can change them? Also, are you going to buy a Mac with Leopard installed?

I'm gonna try to remove the recycle bin and fix the Macintosh HD icon. I am going to try to get an iMac eventually. It might be for Christmas though :(

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Haha I used to do this before I got a Mac. WindowBlinds does wonders, but it also costs money. If you don't really care for the Leopard skin and don't mind the Tiger one, try RKlauncher. It's much "lighter" than ObjectDock.

DIXIE

macrumors member
Changing Icons

i keep hearing about the get info method, but you can't really search that.

Try the following:

Here is a step-by-step guide for changing to a custom folder icon:

1) Open(click) Icons & Logos folder: select (click once) the icon you want to use.
2) Click File: scroll down to Get Info to bring up the Get Info inspector panel.
3) Click on the icon once. You should see a gray border around the icon.
4) Click Edit: scroll down to Copy: click to copy the icon.
5) Close the Get Info inspector panel.
6) Select (click once) the file or folder that you want to customize.
7) Click File: scroll down to Get Info to bring up the Get Info inspector panel again.
8) Click on the icon once. You should see a gray border around the icon.
9) Click Edit: scroll down to Paste: click to paste the new icon.
10) Close the Get Info inspector panel.

Depending on the icon being replaced, you may need to close the Window (or rarely Restart the computer) to view the new icon. :)

or if you prefer using the keyboard:

At least for those of you running OS X 10.3.3 or newer, including 10.4. You don’t need to use Get Info on the source of the custom icon. Instead, just select the source item in the Finder and hit Command-C to copy it. Now select the destination, hit Command-I to open the Get Info window, click on the small icon image, and hit Command-V to paste. OS X is smart enough to realize that if you’re pasting on top of the icon, then it should paste the icon image on the clipboard. Using this method, you save most of the work on the source file; you simply need to find it and hit Copy.

DIXIE :D

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana
Aha. It seems that through the "Finderbar" App, I can hide all my icons from the desktop. I also forgot to mention that I use a wonderful little app named "Looca" as a Finder substitute.
And voila. I present Leopard's illegitimate child: Mac OS XP :D

Leopardo4.jpg

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Aha. It seems that through the "Finderbar" App, I can hide all my icons from the desktop. I also forgot to mention that I use a wonderful little app named "Looca" as a Finder substitute.
And voila. I present Leopard's illegitimate child: Mac OS XP :D

Leopardo4.jpg

Thats nuts, nice job

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana
Thanks everyone. *Yawn I'm tired of modding today. More work to be done though.

Just hope I don't get in trouble for this, lol.

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Just hope I don't get in trouble for this, lol.
I don't think you will because it's a themed XP, not Mac OS X running on a PC.
But I do think it will get people's attention when they will look at your PC because they will think you are running OS X on a PC. The themed XP really does look like Mac OS X Leopard.

Eric Lewis

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2007
CANADA? eh?
ok

so..how do you get iChat for windows?(like what icon..where did you get it) and what program is like iChat?

so..how did you get spaces(where did you get the icon) and what program is like it)?

and the trash bin..?

and also how can i make png. pictures into windows icons?

Cormier6083

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Louisiana
so..how do you get iChat for windows?(like what icon..where did you get it) and what program is like iChat?

so..how did you get spaces(where did you get the icon) and what program is like it)?

and the trash bin..?

and also how can i make png. pictures into windows icons?

If you look a few posts up, I posted a pack of some very good icons. There like 50 icons or so. For spaces, I googled "spaces icon" and I found one in images. (.png)
To get a iChat like IM client... beats me :D

PNG should work for icons. I know it will for ObjectDock.

arnoz

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Switzerland
How can I change the icon of the computer in the Finder sidebar (by default an old iMac, here named "Arnoz"):
picture1gf0.png

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.