Leopard : No 'Network' or Network shares in sidebar?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cattywampus_, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Cattywampus_ macrumors 6502a

I am using the Leopard GM release (Yes I am going to buy it - i know I am naughty - lets not start a moral argument).

Anyway - in the sidebar, there is no mention of Network. And when I mount a network share, it doesn't show up in the devices list.

Is anyone else having this problem? I have to click the Computer icon to take me to where all my drives are, then the Network icon appears there and any network shares that show. I have all the tick boxes ticked in the sidebar preferences.

Any ideas?

2. Djmx macrumors 6502

umm no one has leopard yet.. so no one can help u yet....:rolleyes:

3. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

My question was directed to those who have either used the beta's or have downloaded the GM. And lets not act all naive - there will be plenty of people on here who have done it. :rolleyes:

4. dogbait macrumors regular

I noticed this too (annoying). Go to 'Macintosh HD' in Finder, press 'Cmd+Up-Arrow' and you'll find yourself in your 'Computer' folder. There should be a list of Network Mounts, drag any of these to the Finder list of 'Devices'.

If you know how to make aliases from these I'd be much obliged.

5. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Still - network shares should appear automatically in the sidebar like they have always done in Tiger. Perhaps this is a bug?

6. Orre macrumors newbie

I kind of got that problem too. I'm not totally sure about this, but this is my theory... The Shared tab was there and i could see all windows computer in the tab until i shut down the only win-xp computer in the network. When only a vista computer was online I had to connect to it manually by pressing option-K and typing it's IP number.
    I hope that helps..

The new Shared tabs works great, WHEN IT WORKS :)

7. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

The shared thing wont work for me. I have a Windows 2000 Server, Windows Vista and a Macbook as well as the Leopard Macbook Pro on my network. Only the Macbook was detected - and then it was only detected once I had manually connected to it.

The Windows computers don't show up at all, even when I actually go into the network folder. Its as if it cannot see the computers on the network - even though I have exactly the same settings on Leopard as I did on Tiger (even have the hosts file in /etc configured with IP's to DNS names).

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The shared thing that worked so well in 9a559 has packed up for me too, great :rolleyes:

9. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well at least Its a global thing and not something I am doing wrong :)

10. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

purchase a legit Leopard DVD

So you can call Apple and ask them.

12. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

On leopard for me shared computers automatically show up in the sidebar under the shared tab. I'm not sure if this is what your saying is missing, or mounted shares. Also, I installed bonjour on the windows computers in my network, so that might be why they show up automatically. Don't know if this helps. In finder preferences you can select what to show in the sidebar, so maybe you can make it show fiddling in there.

13. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Man, I can't wait for Friday .. not because Leopard, but because responses to people talking about Leopard won't be followed up with "its not released yet" ... even though people are getting their shipments.

14. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right,

When I open a finder window, in the side bar there is my internal drive, my external drives. There is no mention of Network in the side bar. In the side bar preferences there is no mention of a network tick box - only 'Connected Servers', 'Bonjour Servers' and 'Back to My Mac' (see one of the attachments).

Now, when I connect to a drive using the CMD+K shortcut, and manually type in the address i.e. smb://server - the drives connect, but the shares do not appear in the finder window. You can see in attachment named Picture 3, in the finder window there is server-shared - which is a network share on my server. But it doesn't appear in the sidebar like it would do on Tiger.

when I was attaching these images, I noticed that in the dialogue box, there is now a link to my server under shared (see Picture 2). This is not present in the Finder.

In all - confused and frustrated that its not working how one would expect it too :/

Attached Files:

15. Nightkrawler macrumors regular

1. Set your windows workgroup name in the WINS network settings tab on every network interface that is connected to the windows network.

2. Make sure that the windows service "computer browser" is running on the windows server

3. Logoff and login again.
    post if it worked :)

16. sSNAKEs9 macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble getting other computers on my network to show up as well. I can see my dad's iMac when it's turned on but other than that I have to manually connect to the windows computers in my house, and even when I do I can only access their public folder. I was hoping every computer in my house would magically show up in the sidebar, but I guess not :( Any ideas anyone?

17. Czechmac macrumors regular

Leopard automatically detects all accessible shares and places them in the sidebar for me. These are all windows shared folders on Windows PCs on my network. They never showed up automatically in Tiger.

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

For you having problems there are a couple of reasons.

1. You might not be running a purchased copy of Leopard.
    2. IPV6 blocking might be selected in the AEBS

or

You did an upgrade install and old certificates are in your keychain.

With Leopard , folks really need to do a clean install.

19. reno55 macrumors member

I am running a full purchased version and have the same issues

20. scotty588 macrumors 6502

21. Hannu Tirkkonen macrumors newbie

Just got the Leopard (delivered by TNT) and did an upgrade installation.
    I can verify, that the problem exists. Can we now move along and try to solve the problem.

22. Cattywampus_ thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now Friday has arrived, and people start using Leopard - I am sure Apple will quickly realise that there is an issue with this. I hope an update will come soon to fix it.

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The crazy thing is that it worked perfectly in 9a559, but is b0rked in 9a581 (retail). do'h!

24. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

A friend said a re-install cured the missing shares problem for him....

25. djellison macrumors 68020

It worked brilliantly for 10 minutes after I upgraded ( "Look - your shared documents folder in coverflow" said I to the missus ) - but then I restarted my machine ( I hadnt done since the upgrade ) - and the entire tab has been missing ever since.

Doug