Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
desktop icon

I used to have desktop icons for all my network shares, about five. Now, I cannot figure out a way to get them to create an alias or shortcut for a share. I always have go to mount server to get them to mount, they DO show up in the sidebar?

Is there a way to create desktop shortcuts again?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I used to have desktop icons for all my network shares, about five. Now, I cannot figure out a way to get them to create an alias or shortcut for a share. I always have go to mount server to get them to mount, they DO show up in the sidebar?

Is there a way to create desktop shortcuts again?

is "Connected Servers" ticked in Finder's preferences under General?

HoosierInFL

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I just had this problem happen to me. It's a clean install of Leopard and for a couple of weeks all my shares were showing in the sidebar just fine. I have 2 NAS drives, a Mac Mini, a Vista machine, and a Macbook Pro that this problem exists on.

Only my Mac Mini shows up of the sidebar now. I can manually mount all the drives, but I had become used to it just being there. I have tried all the tricks and hacks but nothing works.

Very frustrating.

pufftissue

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2006
apparently these are huge problems with leopard but for some reason they are still not fixed.

i went back to tiger and it's rock solid. i have now concluded that for all the flack vista gets, it's par for the course for new tech. Even apple can't bring a new OS without significant bugs.

orangesauce

macrumors regular
May 20, 2008
10.5.2 laptop users - try this

I was having a lot of problems with shared folders not appearing in the sidebar. My home network has several servers, and I rarely shut down my laptop, just close the lid (sleep) and go.

Then I noticed that the laptop could see my Linux server in the sidebar, but not my Mac desktop. I thought it might be a problem with the desktop until I read this thread.

Then I noticed that the desktop showed up in the "Computer" window (finder "Go->Computer" or command-shift-K).

At that point, I simply restarted the finder (command-option-escape, select finder, relaunch) and volia, shared menu is correct!

I think Mr. Laptop gets tired after hooking up with so many networks in my travels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.