Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whatos

macrumors 6502a
Looks like the same kind of person that drives a Porsche :)
I was asking a question that had nothing to do with the persons financial status.

Rather it had to do with that persons preferences and reasoning. Just because a person has a high net worth , they're not usually eager to buy a watch like Apples with no track record.

Certainly not to show off as it's an unknown item without any status and no heritage at this early juncture. Plus as luxury watches go it fails that category since it's plain and featureless.

That is not being critical, just an observation from one who knows luxury and ultra luxury watches from first hand experience.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
There's a gold plating company charging a premium for 1000 to gold plate the watch.

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
I tried on the Rose Gold with White Sport Band Edition watch yesterday. I am not getting a gold one. I just wanted to try on one of the gold ones. It was so beautiful. I actually started to think to myself "I could do this, I could pay $12,000 for an apple watch"

I like the watch!
Pairs nicely with the faded t-shirt. =P

undies1993

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
I was asking a question that had nothing to do with the person's financial status.

Rather it had to do with that persons preferences and reasoning. Just because a person has a high net worth , they're not usually eager to buy a watch like Apples with no track record.

Certainly not to show off as it's an unknown item without any status and no heritage at this early juncture. Plus as luxury watches go it fails that category since it's plain and featureless.

That is not being critical, just an observation from one who knows luxury and ultra luxury watches from first hand experience.

By plain and featureless do you mean it is plain and featureless in terms of fashion? It seems to have more features than a dumb luxury watch in terms of what it can do.

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Those watches I posted are at a fraction of the cost of an Edition watch because they are gold-plated SS watches. You can see them if you want at http://www.verygoodplating.com They have some pretty neat configurations that you can buy...still out of my price range though for a 1st gen...errr, for any gen...lol.

Wow thats sick! How does gold plating work? Is it like a vapor deposition?

whatos

macrumors 6502a
By plain and featureless do you mean it is plain and featureless in terms of fashion? It seems to have more features than a dumb luxury watch in terms of what it can do.

It's obvious Apple watch is not "featureless" when it comes to functionality.

Therefore it's equally obvious when talking $10,000+ watches we're talking about the exterior appearance.

True luxury watches are very ornate, have patterns, scrolls, all kinds of "features" in their style. "Featureless" is a type... Not an insult.

A Rolex Submariner, is treasured for their well known Featureless styling. Meaning the sides of the case are flat. The top bevels next to the bezel is flat. Big, broad, flat surfaces to show off its very thick stainless one piece case.

Now you'll notice I did not call that model of Rolex a luxury watch even though it's in the price category. There's a lot more to Horological Art and Style than the average person is aware of.

My AP watch does have a very ornate case, craftsmanship and detail it's a watch that has "Features". That's the difference.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Neat!

Erm... was it the Apple person who put it on your right arm, with the crown facing the wrong way?

I am left handed. Since it is in Demo Mode it won't switch orientation so I can't have the digital crown facing the proper way (on my right hand facing towards my wrist/hand) and still be able to read the texts/watch the videos.

----------

Lol @ the arm across the stomach bc insecure

Yeah. I'll probably cut myself soon because of my insecurities. Or at least go out old yeller style.

bige12

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2009
Vienna, VA
I am left handed. Since it is in Demo Mode it won't switch orientation so I can't have the digital crown facing the proper way (on my right hand facing towards my wrist/hand) and still be able to read the texts/watch the videos.

----------

You can change the orenioation of the watch when you pair it with you I phone it will ask you what wrist you wear you watch on, if you select Right wrist, then it get gives you a option on how you want the digit crown to be if you want pointing towards you wrist then the crown will be on the bottom, if you want it on top then it will be pointing away from you wrist

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
You can change the orenioation of the watch when you pair it with you I phone it will ask you what wrist you wear you watch on, if you select Right wrist, then it get gives you a option on how you want the digit crown to be if you want pointing towards you wrist then the crown will be on the bottom, if you want it on top then it will be pointing away from you wrist

Yes. That's why I said I couldn't change it at the moment because it was in demo mode.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
For $114,995 you can have your watch decked out in diamonds. :eek:

15382_832671746781778_8850754188674232913_n.jpg

zmunkz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2007
Holy ****... that is unbelievable. Looks great, I wonder if that is a rendering or the actual result.

EDIT: I love how their site has a "quantity" selector when you add that to your cart. I guess they are an ambitious bunch.

Honey Badger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2011
For $114,995 you can have your watch decked out in diamonds. :eek:

Just my opinion, but that thing looks so completely ridiculous and cheesy, like one of those iPhone cases with glitter crystals all over it for $29.95. Anybody who buys that watch for $114,000 should also get a certificate of idiocy with it.

Hey, I found a buyer for that watch, it's the Tom Cruise character from Tropic Thunder:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 10.33.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 10.33.35 PM.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 10.35.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-27 at 10.35.22 PM.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

AKRowdy

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
And an older model Porsche at that...

haha exactly. I know working class people, living paycheck to paycheck, who drive a Benz. I know wealthy people who drive Toyotas.

Granted, I also know rich people who drive Benzes and less-wealthy people who drive Hondas, Fords, and Toyotas.

All to say, the clothes you wear or the car you drive aren't indicators of your socioeconomic status, per se. Deals can be had anywhere and for any price.

----------

Holy ****... that is unbelievable. Looks great

uhhh…. I have nothing nice to say, so I don't want to say it, but I just thought you should know that every rational thinking person who read your comment is judging you.

That thing is a gaudy mess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.