Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toomanyipods

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
It has got to be the OS because my LG works fine and my second screen Samsung SA850 that worked fine all along has problems starting up at it full default mode. Each startup it jumps to a magnified setting that is not programed in the display settings. The other issue is that all along the USB hub on both screens was working and then one day they stopped as the USB connections on the nMP is working.

Something in the new OS to speed up start time through the system startup of the nMP out of whack and I think it has something to do with the high speed drives. We need another update to fix this issue. :apple:

Could be. One thing is certain, Apple's quality control is not what it once was. And ever since Lion?, the multi-monitor support has been terrible in either functionality or reliability.

toomanyipods

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Sharkey had problems with his display, got it swapped out for replacement and it worked fine. Mine's working fine too. Perhaps you should consider a swap out yourself? It seems really likely from the comments on this thread that there are a bad bunch of monitors out there. I'm not sure you're looking for the correct culprit here, if I were you I'd be looking at the LG for the cause rather than OS X.

Just saying. I'm now going to take cover... ;)

I'll check my comments about OS X for now. But no, I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately, it has taken so long to diagnose and troubleshoot, that I am 30 days past my 30 day warranty.

Disconnected the second monitor this morning, but I'm still having problems with drop-outs. I'll see what happens with my other monitor / OS X spaces / login screen issues.

I would like to pursue an exchange if that would help. I've gone back through the last three pages of the thread twice, but still have the following questions for you and Sharkey:

1-How did you manage LG? Looks like Sharkey kept getting 2nd-hand garbage monitors. From LG, or the retailer?

2-What version of the monitor do you two have? What should I be looking for? If it's the "B" version, I think I have that, too. My label is attached to this post.

3-Any other recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_5128.jpg
    IMG_5128.jpg
    612.3 KB · Views: 534

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I'll check my comments about OS X for now. But no, I appreciate the suggestion. Unfortunately, it has taken so long to diagnose and troubleshoot, that I am 30 days past my 30 day warranty.

Disconnected the second monitor this morning, but I'm still having problems with drop-outs. I'll see what happens with my other monitor / OS X spaces / login screen issues.

I would like to pursue an exchange if that would help. I've gone back through the last three pages of the thread twice, but still have the following questions for you and Sharkey:

1-How did you manage LG? Looks like Sharkey kept getting 2nd-hand garbage monitors. From LG, or the retailer?

2-What version of the monitor do you two have? What should I be looking for? If it's the "B" version, I think I have that, too. My label is attached to this post.

3-Any other recommendations?

1 - I didn't have to contact LG as my monitor worked fine from day 1
2 - I have a "B", although my monitor is older than yours. My manufacture date is October 2014 and the revision number (bottom right of the label) is 00 where yours is 01.

Sharkey's original monitor was newer than mine too so it doesn't look as if the date it came out of the factory is relevant unless the newer models are the ones with the problems which although unlikely isn't out of the realms of possibility.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
AMD Radeon R9 M370X: -> (5120x2160)@60Hz.

The MacBook-Pro(12)15" released today has some curious specifications for the AMD Radeon R9 M370X version.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro
Quote: "Support for up to 5120-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz on a single external display."

I'm not aware any monitor with that resolution, thou it would be good to see. But the ratio certainly covers the LG-31MU97. - Hopefully, someone on this forum can test this setup sometime soon.

No word yet on whether a 5k(5120x2880) screen could be run via MST (2x TB2/DP cables) on this device, even thou it only has the one TB bus.

Unfortunately, no HDMI upgrades yet.

Last edited:

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
The MacBook-Pro(12)15" released today has some curious specifications for the AMD Radeon R9 M370X version.

http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro
Quote: "Support for up to 5120-by-2160 resolution at 60Hz on a single external display."

I'm not aware any monitor with that resolution, thou it would be good to see. But the ratio certainly covers the LG-31MU97. - Hopefully, someone on this forum can test this setup sometime soon.

What about Dell Utrasharp UP2715K?

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.

Not sure what you mean, that Dell 5k monitor is 5120x2880 (16:9).
*** & not 5120x2160 (21:9) - Similar to Panavison wideScreen anamorphic film format.

Or something like the the LG-34UC97-B monitor (3440x1440)21:9.
http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97
Thunderbolt-2 compatible.

Just multiply the linear resolution by x1.5 = ~ 5120x2160 (aprox).
Hopefully, some monitors with this aspect/resolution will be announced soon, and they will all work smooooothly with OS-X devices.- Yeah.

Last edited:

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
Both LG & Samsung have 5K tv´s with 5120x2160..

So maybe Apple is releasing a TV or the next TB-display will be 21:9? :)

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Last edited:

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Here's my experience with this display on a nMP so far. I have two of these displays connected, both via the cables provided with the displays.

If I try to run both (on appropriate ports) at native resolution in Windows, I get crazy amounts of flickering. But if I plug an hdmi cable into one of the monitors and into the nMP, the flickering stops. This has the unfortunate side effect of leaving me with a third "ghost" monitor, but at least image quality is good.

I believe this "ghost" leads to a separate issue, where if the monitors are shut off by the nMP for power conservation, all of my windows get moved around and resized (likely due to some resolution changes happening before the monitor is back on?). So I have the monitors running 24/7 with a "blank screen" screen saver. Not great, but better than flickering and/or having my desktop shuffled every time I'm away from the computer.

I have ordered some new cables which I hope will let me remove the hdmi cable from the equation. Will report back when they arrive. If only I could find some 24awg cables with mDP on one side...

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Here's my experience with this display on a nMP so far. I have two of these displays connected, both via the cables provided with the displays.

If I try to run both (on appropriate ports) at native resolution in Windows, I get crazy amounts of flickering. But if I plug an hdmi cable into one of the monitors and into the nMP, the flickering stops. This has the unfortunate side effect of leaving me with a third "ghost" monitor, but at least image quality is good.

I believe this "ghost" leads to a separate issue, where if the monitors are shut off by the nMP for power conservation, all of my windows get moved around and resized (likely due to some resolution changes happening before the monitor is back on?). So I have the monitors running 24/7 with a "blank screen" screen saver. Not great, but better than flickering and/or having my desktop shuffled every time I'm away from the computer.

I have ordered some new cables which I hope will let me remove the hdmi cable from the equation. Will report back when they arrive. If only I could find some 24awg cables with mDP on one side...

I'm sure you're aware of this already, but just in case you're not, I hope you don't mind me mentioning that the nMP is fussy about the ports you use for plugging in displays. You have to make sure that you use ports on separate thunderbolt buses. Using the same bus could result in the flickering you're talking about.

If you know that already then I apologise for stating the bleeding obvious and I'll get my coat... ;)

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
I'm sure you're aware of this already, but just in case you're not, I hope you don't mind me mentioning that the nMP is fussy about the ports you use for plugging in displays. You have to make sure that you use ports on separate thunderbolt buses. Using the same bus could result in the flickering you're talking about.

If you know that already then I apologise for stating the bleeding obvious and I'll get my coat... ;)

A good reminder but yes, they are on separate buses. I've tried all sorts of combinations and the only thing that solves the flickering is plugging in the hdmi cable. Go figure!

lisagurl

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
The nMP acts strange most likely due to the software apple makes one size fit all. I have had similar problems on startup. Where scaling settings have changed and USB hubs rendered not working. The funny part is it is not consistent. Yesterday I found my USB hubs working again so I switched ports and only have the hubs connected directly to the nMP. Then i changed the displays from ports 1 and 2 to 2 and 5 which is bus 0 today it all booted up fine holding the settings and everything working great.

Maybe the next software fix in 3 weeks will make it more stable.

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
New cables did not fix the problem. As soon as I remove the HDMI cable from the nMP, the displays start to flicker.

edanuff

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2008
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but apparently there is now a 31MU97Z version of this model that is Thunderbolt-based rather than Displayport.

Reactions: rdav

McTaste

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but apparently there is now a 31MU97Z version of this model that is Thunderbolt-based rather than Displayport.

Anyone want to buy my DisplayPort-based displays? :p

lisagurl

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2015
This means that while you can physically connect a Thunderbolt device to a Mac with DisplayPort, the device will not work, but if you connect a DisplayPort device to a Mac with Thunderbolt, then the device will work.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
So I received my new Macbook Pro today, but I am having a really hard time getting it to work with the LG 31MU97.

It worked just fine with my old (Late 2013) MBP, but now when I plug it into my new MBP, the screen goes in and out constantly. I have to plug the display port cable directly into a Thunderbolt on the MBP because it also no longer works at all hooked to my OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock. The old MBP (Late 2013) had no problems with that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97dwtg8il9ww2ph/Screenshot 2015-05-27 17.21.11.png?dl=0

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
It should work out of the box right?

From the following link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202856

With OS X Yosemite v10.10.3, most single-stream 4K (4096x2160) displays are supported at 60Hz operation on the following Mac computers:
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014 and later)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with AMD Radeon R9 M370X

I even upgraded to OS X Yosemite v10.10.4 (beta) to see if that helped. Is it possible that the "fix" I used in this thread is messing with things?

Last edited:

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
31MU97-Z Thunderbolt-2 Version - New.

Thanks for the mention.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2910692/lg-shows-thunderbolt-2-compatible-4k-monitor.html

Quotes: (April 2015).
"Until now, there hasn’t been a true 4K computer monitor that can plug into Thunderbolt ports, but LG may have solved that problem with a new display it introduced on Wednesday. The 31-inch LG 31MU97Z is the first 4K display with Thunderbolt-2 ports. LG wasn’t immediately available to comment on price or when it would ship."

Maybe this version (31MU97Z) combined with OS-X 10.11 (Mojave?) will finally stabilise the setup.

Last edited:

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
So I downloaded SwitchRes to try some things out, it seems that the only time I don't have problems is when it is at 50hz. The only issue is, the new MBP seems to think it can do 60hz, so it is always trying that.

Does anyone know how to get this to work the way it did (does) on the MBP Late 2013? I don't really have a problem with it being at 50hz...

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
New 15-inch is the first MacBook to support 5K displays, 4096×2160 4K.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/05/28/15-inch-macbook-4k-5k-display-support/

Quote:
Apple’s new 15-inch MacBook Pro is the first of Apple’s notebooks to officially support single-stream 4K displays at a full resolution of 4096×2160 at 60Hz. The new MacBook Pro is also the first to support 5K displays. Apple confirmed the support today in an updated support document detailing official support for 4K and 5K displays on Macs.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
Ok I'm just going to return the new MacBook Pro it's not worth the upgrade with all the hassles it causes with this monitor. It may be an issue with the monitor, but I have no problems with the MBP late 2013 model running at 50hz hooked through my Thunderbolt 2 dock.

The new MBP Mid 2015 cannot even push the monitor to display through the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock at all. When I hook it up directly to the laptop, it "works" at 60hz, but does the full black screen flicker every 20 seconds or so. It's as if this monitor cannot handle 60hz.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Drivers /New Hardware.

Ok I'm just going to return the new MacBook Pro it's not worth the upgrade with all the hassles it causes with this monitor. It may be an issue with the monitor, but I have no problems with the MBP late 2013 model running at 50hz hooked through my Thunderbolt 2 dock. The new MBP Mid 2015 cannot even push the monitor to display through the OWC Thunderbolt 2 Dock at all. When I hook it up directly to the laptop, it "works" at 60hz, but does the full black screen flicker every 20 seconds or so. It's as if this monitor cannot handle 60hz.

That's a friggin' shame. Any chance this could be a driver problem, and that OS-X needs to be updated for the latest MBP hardware?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.