Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
guys get the s version. Zero lag, just got it and use it with my fully loaded 2015 as my daily driver.

Right, as per Zorn post #700, what's is the "S" version? And are you running a single LG-31MU97 monitor off a "fully loaded" 2015/Macbook-Pro/M370X device? Inquiring minds need to know..

spentan

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
How were literally talking about the same monitor, the curved uhd lg computer monitor.

Either you're in the wrong thread, or you're a pretty silly troll.

The Monitor you're referring to, is, as you said curved, 34" and runs at a resolution of 3440x1440
lg-monitor-34UC97-feature-img-detail_sRGB_over_99.jpg

The monitor below is the subject of this thread, it is NOT Curved, 31.5" and has a resolution of 4096x2160.
mac-lg-31mu97-1.jpg

Reactions: theSeb and rdav

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Either you're in the wrong thread, or you're a pretty silly troll. The (LG-34UC97 S/B, Tb2) monitor you're referring to, is curved, 34", and runs at a resolution of 3440x1440. However, the LG-31MU97 monitor is the subject of this thread, it is NOT Curved, 31½" and has a resolution of 4096x2160.
Yep, damn right. That's a whole heap more pixels, hence the dificulties.

Last edited:

spentan

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Just got the OS X 10.10.4 Update. Noticed this in the release notes:

- Addresses an issue that prevented some external displays from functioning properly

Has this resolved any issues anyone has been having with the LG 31MU97?

toomanyipods

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Just got the OS X 10.10.4 Update. Noticed this in the release notes:

- Addresses an issue that prevented some external displays from functioning properly

Has this resolved any issues anyone has been having with the LG 31MU97?

Short answer: doesn't work AT ALL, and I got myself into trouble.

LONG answer:
I've been running in 30Hz off of the HDMI connection. Not perfect, still get the speaker pop when logging in, but no dropouts.

Thought I'd try connecting the displayport cable again to see if 10.10.4 did any better. BIG mistake. Started seeing a malformed white apple on my secondary monitor while starting up. The monitor detected some video output on startup, but then showed "no signal". After several restarts, it kept going to the recovery console, asking me if I wanted to reset my password. Yikes!

I unplugged all peripherals, same story. Reset PRAM, and the OS came on my secondary monitor! Plugged in HDMI, i was back in business.

Tried the Displayport cable again. Same issues as before. No signal on the monitor, boots to recovery console, wants me to change my password.

Tried reseting PRAM again. No luck.

After a dozen reboots and inconsistent results, I connected the HDMI cable again. Got the recovery console. Reset the PRAM, and it works! Plug in the rest of my peripherals, and it continues to work.

Not sure what happened in this last update, but I no longer have the ability to use a DisplayPort connection AT ALL, where on 10.10.3 I was able to use 60Hz, albeit with the intermittent video dropouts after waking from sleep.

Don't know if I'm more disappointed with Apple, or LG.

Reactions: rdav

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
... Not sure what happened in this last [10.10.04] update, but I no longer have the ability to use a DisplayPort connection AT ALL, where on OS-X 10.10.3 I was able to use 60Hz, albeit with the intermittent video dropouts after waking from sleep. Don't know if I'm more disappointed with Apple, or LG.

That certainly is most disappointing, especially when they are claiming external-monitor/driver improvements for this update. Seems like more of an Apple problem (than LG). No wonder the 31MU97 was surreptitiously dropped from their approved 4k display list.. Sad.

Last edited:

PitBullCH

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
Just FYI - I have this monitor working perfectly in 4096x2160 at 60Hz over DP on my early 2008 MacPro - I'm using a flashed GeForce Titan X GPU from macvidcards. Same results on my recently build Windows 8.1 gaming PC.

Generally the screen itself is fine - good stable picture and colours (once calibrated) - but the handling with the single joystick control and the OSD is very poorly implemented. I switch regularly between the MacPro and Windows PC and it's taking a lot of joystick presses and the responses to the joystick presses are very slow. Also the screen seems to take a long time to warm up when it's been off for a while - seems far longer than I'm used to with previous monitors (might just be because of the size - previous monitors were 24" 1080p).

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Just FYI - I have this monitor working perfectly in 4096x2160 at 60Hz over DP on my early 2008 MacPro - I'm using a flashed GeForce Titan X GPU from macvidcards. Same results on my recently build Windows 8.1 gaming PC.

You have probably not been able to test this (since it requires a second), but I'm curious to know if that GPU can run more than one (true)4k-monitor. It comes in quite steep at about $1,450 per. Especially if the resulting performance is not optimum.

PitBullCH

macrumors member
May 14, 2015
You have probably not been able to test this (since it requires a second), but I'm curious to know if that GPU can run more than one (true)4k-monitor. It comes in quite steep at about $1,450 per. Especially if the resulting performance is not optimum.

Sorry - no room or need for a second such monitor. Have room perhaps for a 34" monitor or similar though.

thekamp

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2015
Hey there all. So after reading all of this super long thread I decided to bite the bullet and pick up one of these monitors. Running on a nMP (6core version w/ the 3GB 500s) and it worked perfect right out of the box. I am running the El Cap beta, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it? But running full res, at 60hz, so far no flicker or issues coming back on after sleep.

Reactions: SaxPlayer and rdav

VmanJeff

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2011
Virgin Beach, VA
Hello all

I am not new around here but more of a reader than a poster... but I have to say, after purchasing a nMP in June I was content to use my exhisting Tbolt display as I configured and upgraded my edit suite and begin the long journey to a UHD monitor until I ran across this thread. I have read the entire thread and i must thank each and every one of you who bled (as I have in the early years of nonlinear editing, CD writing and DVD writing) to make this monitor work! Along the way I did a lot of research as I got up to speed with UHD and 4k, cinema4k, and I think I have a handle on it?! I am more an advanced hobbiest now after running an independent video production business for many years from the Amiga T4000/Toaster-Flyer dayz to the DV-Premiere4 PC dayz until I sold the business to raise a family. Within the last 5-7 years I have been learning volumes about codecs, compression, hidef cameras, yada yada...! And now I find I am wanting a better display....
So if you are still with me my question is this.... I do mostly video production with Premiere CC and FinalCut through a Matrox output box for h264 compression and viewing on a HD display. I don't know much about Internet delivery or color grading or photoshop manipulation or AE but I do like to produce videos of things I like doing... Gopro action videos (I ride motorcycles), big band and blues band music videos .... So is this the sort of monitor I want ?
I was attracted to it from the real estate standpoint with its higher resolution than UHD. And the size seems just right (physical size), I'll deal with scaling if my eyes need it later.
My plan would be to purchase the 'Z' model when it ships because of all the chaos I have witnessed here! And run it with my at old monitor side by side using the Tbolt for 'other' while the 4k ran my editing apps.
Id just hate to buy a UHD display and not be happy (although I get that I will probably love it over what I'm using now.... I've played with Apples 5k....

Last edited:

cast128

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2003
Colorado
Well it looks like the Thunderbolt 2 version of this monitor is starting to appear in stock or for pre-order on a few online stores.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1171275-REG/lg_31mu97z_b_31_led_lcd_true.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y8H2SPG/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=

http://www.macmall.com/p/LG-Electronics-Monitors/product~dpno~13529645~pdp.jbedbfj

http://www.beachaudio.com/LG-Electronics/31mu97z-B-p-773787.html

Anyone willing to take the plunge to see if thunderbolt 2 fixes any of the issues with the original version. I am tempted and have been waiting a long time for a true thunderbolt 2 4k monitor.

Reactions: rdav

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
Well it looks like the Thunderbolt 2 version of this monitor is starting to appear in stock or for pre-order on a few online stores.

Seems the TB2/Z version is now stocked and available, listed at ~ $1,380. Which is approximately where the original version started out, though it retails for considerably less than that now.

Unfortunately, not much in the way of reviews yet, since it's probably not perceived as a new model. And we don't know if the panel and/or electronics have been upgraded at all.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
I occasionally watch Linus Tech Tips on YouTube. They're moving office at the moment and in their latest update there were 12 (yes TWELVE!) LG 31MU97's in boxes having just been delivered for their new office. Linus reviewed the monitor a while back I seem to remember. OK, so they'll be running them on Windoze machines however these guys don't tend to drop a load of cash on expensive kit without it being good (even with the no doubt pretty hefty discount they probably negotiated).

I'm hoping they'll cover them in more detail in future "office move vlogs" as it'll be interesting to see if they're display port or thunderbolt and, of course, whether they have any problems.

By the way, my LG 31MU97 is still working fine. Is fired up for several hours a day and I continue to have no problems with it. Pleased with my purchase.

AppleDroid

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2011
Illinois
Seems the TB2/Z version is now stocked and available, listed at ~ $1,380. Which is approximately where the original version started out, though it retails for considerably less than that now.

Unfortunately, not much in the way of reviews yet, since it's probably not perceived as a new model. And we don't know if the panel and/or electronics have been upgraded at all.

Here's hoping they got their QC under control for this one. I tried one (I posted several months ago) and one half of the screen was a different white point than the other. Other's have had similar issues and backlight problems.

rdav

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
So/California.
I occasionally watch Linus Tech Tips on YouTube. They're moving office at the moment and in their latest update there were 12x LG-31MU97 in boxes having just been delivered for their new office.

Linus-Tt devoted another show to a test gaming-rig with three of the [LG-31MU97]. And they may have received some sort of PR /bulk deal on the monitors from LG. Or even get them for free (sponsorship) in exchange for showcasing. Especially if the Non-Z version is now yesterday's model (sorta).

Last edited:
Reactions: SaxPlayer

Lichqueen

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
Hong Kong
Hello all, I just got this display recently, everything is perfect but only one problem, after wake from sleep right side of the screen will flickering occasionally when I typing or move/click the mouse, need reboot or replug the DP cable to prevent the problem. Anyone have the same problem and how to solve? Thanks.

Last edited:

toomanyipods

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
Hello all, I just got this display recently, everything is perfect but only one problem, after wake from sleep right side of the screen will flickering occasionally when I typing or move/click the mouse, need reboot or replug the DP cable to prevent the problem. Anyone have the same problem and how to solve? Thanks.
I have the problem, but only one partial solution. I've minimized the issue by using HDMI (30Hz). But still occasionally have a problem with the Mac Pro not detecting the monitor when waking from sleep.

Lichqueen

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
Hong Kong
I have the problem, but only one partial solution. I've minimized the issue by using HDMI (30Hz). But still occasionally have a problem with the Mac Pro not detecting the monitor when waking from sleep.

I just solved the problem, upgraded to El Capitan then the problem solved :)

Last edited:

Lichqueen

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2008
Hong Kong
Have another problem, cannot adjust the Contrast, it is "grey color" and cannot adjust it, is there any setting I miss or it is a defected monitor? Email to LG tech support, but not yet get reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.