LG Announces Upgraded Set of Monitors With Full Thunderbolt 3 Compatibility

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following previous Mac-supported displays that boasted USB-C and some Thunderbolt 3 compatibility, LG today announced a new set of monitors that all include full Thunderbolt 3 support. The news comes ahead of CES 2018, where LG will officially introduce the three new upgraded models of its popular monitor lineup. Apple and LG originally teamed up to create 4K and 5K UltraFine Displays aimed at the late 2016 MacBook Pro models.

The first monitor is a 32-inch UHD 4K model (named LG 32UK950) and offers LG's advanced Nano IPS technology, which the company said will enhance the "intensity and purity" of on-screen colors so that viewing experiences are more life-like. This monitor can display 98 percent of the DCI-P3 color spectrum and supports HDR 600, all making it comparable to monitors used to master Hollywood films, according to LG.

[​IMG]

LG 32UK950 also features a Thunderbolt 3 docking display so that it can be daisy chained and be part of a dual 4K monitor setup. It can connect to Apple computers like MacBook Pro through a Thunderbolt 3 cable, transmitting 4K content, sound, and fueling up the connected MacBook (with enough charge to power a 60W notebook).

The second monitor is the LG 34WK95U, a 34-inch UltraWide monitor with wider viewing angles than the previous device, increased 5K resolution of 5120 x 2160 pixels, and a 21:9 aspect ratio. LG is aiming this monitor at customers who "extensively" multitask during their workflow, including video editors, photographers, and software and app developers.

[​IMG]

Just like the first monitor, the 34WK95U supports Nano IPS technology, HDR 600, and a Thunderbolt 3 port that can transmit 5K resolution images at 60Hz, along with data and power, through a TB3 cable connected to a compatible MacBook Pro.

The third and final monitor (LG 34GK950G) is given the least amount of detail in LG's announcement, being described as the company's latest QHD gaming monitor. This one offers the same Nano IPS technology for premium picture quality when running games, as well as high-speed G-Sync technology. No other details about the 32GK950G monitor were given.

CES will officially begin on January 7, 2018, so more information on the prices and launch dates of LG's monitors will be coming soon in the new year, along with many other new technology and product announcements. For more on LG's current monitors, check out MacRumors' reviews of the 27UD88, UltraFine 5K, and 38UC99 curved "UltraWide" displays.

Article Link: LG Announces Upgraded Set of Monitors With Full Thunderbolt 3 Compatibility

2. eddjedi macrumors 6502

Excellent, I've been holding off buying a 4k/5k display until I can also use it as a TB3 hub.

3. Corrode macrumors 6502a

Corrode

Nice to see more monitor options for tbMBP users. I still love my 5k Ultrafine Display.

4. nathan_reilly macrumors member

nathan_reilly

5. sziehr macrumors 6502a

I just got one off a guy on Craigslist. I have to say it is massive and I love it. I have the 4k ultra fine. That took me 5 or 6 trips to apple to get a solid unit. The 5k is amazing. Now I have display addiction. I want to drive it with a new 5k iMac SSD.

6. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

I returned a LG monitor picture quality not too good, got a Samsung

7. PickUrPoison, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

60 Watts? Too bad that’s not enough to charge the 15” MacBook Pro at full power.

At least they made the top bezel smaller. It looked weird before, like it was upside down.

8. lincolntran macrumors 6502a

lincolntran

I have just a decent 32" monitor and boy, my productivity has gone way up and work very comfortably when multitasking.

9. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Purchasing as soon as they become available.

Those complaining about lack of different ports on the new MBP just don't get this part. I can have power and everything else over a single cable. Means when I get home, plugin a single cable and now my monitor, power, RAID, ethernet, keyboard, and more are all connected. Just one cable. Makes things so nice and easy.

10. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

Unfortunately it doesn't look like these new displays have an integrated webcam, which was the cause of the larger top bezel. For the time being it looks like the Ultrafine 5K is still the best companion for a 15" MBP.

11. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

People who need 5K seem to love the 27” LG, but you’re not talking about that monitor I guess.

12. antipex macrumors member

antipex

I have the LG 5K display that Apple supposedly collaborated on, and it was part of the initial batch with the shielding issues. LG damaged my display during the shielding fix (which left me without my monitor for two weeks), and their solution was for me to send the display in for repair again with the same timeframe. Their support is outsourced and horrible to work with – nobody understands anything beyond several scripts that they have in front of them, and they are powerless to do anything outside the very strict guidelines.

I will not be buying another LG product and I can't wait to replace this display with an Apple one!

13. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

Until you don’t have the right adapter.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Here's hoping for a similar Ultra-wide with FreeSync2 announced at CES.

15. PowerMike G5 macrumors 6502

I use their 31MU97-B monitor 4K DCI monitor. They make great monitors for content creation and the colors are great!

16. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

But what about the screen surface treatment? Are they matte/anti-glare? Or will we be looking at ourselves again when dark images are displayed? Pretty important stuff you know.

17. PickUrPoison macrumors 68020

Yeah I saw no mention of a webcam and there doesn’t look to be one, from the picture. Cameras are pretty small nowadays, seems like there would be room even with the smaller bezel. I guess LG thinks people don’t care about it.

Personally I don’t need a camera, so if it were a 5K I might be interested. But I don’t want a 32” 4K monitor.

18. aloshka macrumors 65816

So charging on the first one is 60w. But what about the second 34GK950G? No way that’s 60w too. You’d need the 15” to drive it, and 60w is not enough. That’d be a pretty big oversight imo

19. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Yeah - LG's outsourced repairs are simply atrocious to deal with.
    A new Apple first party display will be very very welcome.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    I'd put nothing past LG..

20. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

So ultrawide 5k via Thunderbolt 3. Is it possible to dynamically split the display into multiple displays via software? I've been interested in ultrawide monitors, but from what I can tell to do multiple displays you typically need to have two cables running. Meaning you have to plug in another cable, then manually set up the split using the crappy monitor onscreen menu system.

If I could just hit a keyboard shortcut and go from one wide desktop to two separate desktops (Over one cable), I'd be all in.

21. HobeSoundDarryl, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Great pitch for rationalizing Apple's decision. The problem becomes when one takes that mobile computer on the road and needs to hook into just about anything at any other location that is not home. It's no longer "nice and easy with one cable." Instead, it's rough & complicated with dongles/adapters/etc. But I guess thinking like that makes me one of those people who just "don't get it."

I do grasp the specific benefit you shared. Too bad that's not the only thing that people need to be able to do in terms of connecting a laptop to other hardware. I miss the added utility of common ports built in vs. needing dongles & adapters... even more so when the price of the laptops go up as the utility is jettisoned. Marketing spin doesn't make it any better either.

22. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

No adapter, it is the thunderbolt 3 cable attached to the monitor...

Think about it, unless you are like someone who travels and does presentations on random projectors/displays, most people just go from a home desk to work desk. Leave the dongle setup at work and you are done. Or just buy a USB-C or TB3 monitor and ditch the dongles completely.

23. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

I have one too - Very nice when it works.
    I hope yours doesn't have a board failure like mine did.

The repair process & cost sucked.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---

Very well said. The new laptop design direction is mainly suited for connecting to known modern monitor/dock situations. All other uses of the mobile design are a step backwards for dealing with connections (for now).

24. citysnaps macrumors 68040

No adapter necessary. Plug in the cable.

25. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

asdavis10

I just can’t get past the stand on these LG displays. Hideous.