LG Announces Upgraded Set of Monitors With Full Thunderbolt 3 Compatibility

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. magamen macrumors member

magamen

2. aloshka, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2017

aloshka macrumors 65816

I was always on a dual monitor setup but a few weeks ago got a dell u3818dw. It has been amazing!! The software I use for window management is called bettersnaptool. It’s extremely customizable, has keyboard shortcuts and windows-like side snap features. Another great and popular one is called magnet. These are available at the App Store and you’ll love them. Much better than apples built in split screen features.

Let’s just say I’m so impressed with ultra wide especially when it comes to FCPX and Xcode and how much it has improved my workflow over 2 monitors that I’m secretly hoping and wishing that the Apple monitor is actually an ultrawide.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    Pretty sure TB3 is only in a specific USB-C format and even pc has no other format. The whole convenience thing is just inherited from the USB-C spec and you simply cannot use other cables to work with it.

If this is just a complaint about how the MacBook pros only have usb c ports, this has been covered thousands of times and it’s done. It’s the future, it’s not going to change, Apple will not put old USB ports back in, nor will they put the cdrom back in, even if they did people will complain how they already bought hundreds of dollars worth of dongles (not sure where these people are buying these dongles). Let’s not waste time bringing it up again.

And I’m not trying to be an a**. And sorry if I’m coming up as. Everyone’s complaints really are valid, but most of us have moved on, enjoy the benefits of USB-C, and simply tired of hearing the whining when the USB-C solution is working, had been working for a long time now.

3. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

The GK is a gaming monitor. Typically hooked up to a desktop with it's own discrete power. That one isn't targeted to the MBP imo.

4. aloshka macrumors 65816

--- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    The gaming is the third monitor. I’m talking about the 5k ultra.. sorry if I got the part number wrong .

5. blacktape242 macrumors 65816

blacktape242

6. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

So do you make sure all laptops you buy have a VGA and PS2 ports?

I get your reasoning, and right now, yeah, having a few extra ports might be helpful. But in a couple of years, which I'm sure most customers buying a MacBook will keep it, we'll see more and more USB-C devices and less of the older ones.

Even on my 2006 MB, I don't think I ever used the FW port more than 2 times, and it was mainly just to try it out. Sure, others may have used it all the time, but we have to move on. I'm sure Apple has data on how many people use them and where they're using them.

7. socialwill macrumors member

Would a 2017 13" tMBP drive the new 5k Ultra-wide? Just curious if there is enough graphic power in the 13" or if the 15" would be needed?

8. Tech198 macrumors G5

+1 me too

i want to "see" what i am getting

9. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Come on now..You know that's an extremely ridiculous example

10. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

What are all these adaptors one needs to travel with?

I travel a lot (million mile club). I carry along a Thunderbolt to HDMI and a USB-A adaptor. That's it. And nearly never need either. Most places have DisplayPort cables from their projectors which is the same connection as Thunderbolt so it just plugs right in. When traveling, rarely do you ever need to plug in other devices.

11. HobeSoundDarryl, Dec 21, 2017

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I don't encounter much VGA or PS2 anymore. But I do encounter the modern standards at every stop (on the road). Unless I've brought along my own adapters & dongles, there's no hooking up to anything. Nobody seems to have much USB3C+Thunderbolt 3 in their offices, in hotels, etc.

I get the "but in a couple of years" argument but these things are fundamentally tools. I'd like my tools to work really well for me between now and "a couple of years." Once it's as ubiquitous as current standards such that the problem is solved, deprecate the old, as has mostly happened with older standards like PS2, VGA and FW. But this idea of having to jettison utility (to dongles/adapters) to spur on the change "in a couple of years" is us just swallowing a pill to suffer/deal with it. It's even more fun to pay even more than Apple laptops used to cost that came with the stuff now shifted out to dongles built within.

If Apple has that data, they MUST know that just about everyone is still connecting their stuff to stuff that does not yet have USB3C/Thunderbolt 3. So if Apple is listening to their data and building for our present needs, they would be building in a basic set of ports. However, it appears that Apple is building for "the future" (but selectively: drop a headphone port here but not there, USB3 here but Lightning there, etc) and we are just expected to roll with adapters/dongles in support of it for- as you say- upwards of at least a "couple of years." I'm sure Apple is happy to sell us those dongles & adapters as add-on sales... and/or the licensing revenues that come from others selling us stuff to connect via Lightning.

Apple adopted Thunderbolt 1 and the marketplace generally did not make much stuff with Thunderbolt 1. How many years ago was that now and how much Thunderbolt 1 stuff is available in 2017.

Along comes (Apple adopting) Thunderbolt 2 and the marketplace generally did not make much stuff with Thunderbolt 2. Where's the Thunderbolt 2 peripherals in late 2017?

Now we're adopting USB3C+Thunderbolt 3 and the marketplace has generally not rolled out much stuff with that either. See a pattern here?

I'm all for including a USB3C+Thunderbolt 3 port on laptops to migrate toward "the future." I'm less happy with there being nothing else in exchange for higher prices and an expectation that we'll cover that base by spending even more on dongles and/or adapters. And I have much less faith than you that "a couple of years" will see much adoption of USB3C/Thunderbolt 3 on common peripherals... just as Thunderbolt 2 and 1 before it did not see much adoption upwards of well over "a few years" right up to now.

Will we get there? Probably. USB3C+T3 is a NICE idea with a lot of potential. But us just willingly accepting the hassle between here and there and even attempting to rationalize it to each other like it's some good thing for us is pretty hard (for me) to see.

12. Billrey macrumors member

Billrey

These are useless for Macs. The PPI is wrong for 2x retina. 32 inch 4K diesn’t Work. You need 27 inch 5k, otherwise everything, icons, text, menus, will be HUGE.

13. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

wish they made a 27"... way to big for my desk!

14. gsurf123 macrumors member

Neither can I. Can't they just get permission to make it look like an iMac or the older Apple monitors? I am holding on to my 27" Thunderbolt monitors.

15. HobeSoundDarryl, Dec 21, 2017

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    You partially answer your own question there. I also need Ethernet at some locations. And most places I go don't have DisplayPort or are not sure, so then I- apparently like you- am having to bring along options just in case.

And don't speak for me when traveling. When traveling, I DO need to plug into other devices. Just because you don't doesn't mean that you represent everyone. Just because your stops are more compatible doesn't mean all stops are compatible.

The situation used to be that we could just throw a MB Pro in our bag and very likely be able to connect with about anything we might encounter. Now we can't. We used to be able to go light, knowing that just about any stop will likely have a cable we can just plug in and use. Now we can't.

Maybe down the road, most companies, business hotels, etc will replace their technology with stuff that easily connects- and that will be great- but between here and there, it's a hassle that only some of us embrace (presumably) because whatever Apple decides to do must be rationalized as right. You yourself are carrying a couple of things you didn't have to carry before. And here you are trying to challenge me on the suggestion that I'd rather have an Apple laptop that doesn't require me- or you- to do that... like it used to be.

If we step back in time when Apple built laptops with common ports, were you there griping about them building in so many ports, wishing they would cut it down to as little as just one port? Of course not, right? Why? Because Apple was right when they built laptops with a variety of common-use ports. And now Apple is right for building laptops without common-use ports.

But I understand the rule: whatever Apple has for sale at any given time is the one and only right thing for everyone. If anyone chimes in "thinking different," let's just get after them for not loving it exactly as a corporation has decided to serve it up.

I- like you- make it work by lugging along dongles, etc... but I don't like it better (between now and "the future")... nor do I feel I'm making some noble sacrifice to help Apple spur on "the future." I'm not even sure Apple believes that. Else, once again, new iPhones of which they will sell tens of millions of units would have embraced USB3C over proprietary Lightning. Get 100M+ iPhones out there this year with USB3C and other stuff will be more likely to accelerate the migration to USB3C too.

16. shurcooL macrumors 6502a

So... not enough for the 15" MBP?

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

18. PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

Right. The 15” needs 87W (max) so it’s really not a good match.

19. travelsheep macrumors 6502

travelsheep

I want to have a nice apartment in central Bangkok with permanent visa, a maxxed out MacBook Pro 13" with one of these LG displays, Bose QC 35 II headphones, enough budget to life there forever, and a great bicycle. #lifegoals

20. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

Keep telling yourself that. I bought two of them specifically for the minimal cable setup. Biggest mistake ever. The MBP and TB3 displays just simply don't work together. My machine would always hang/crash when plugging in/out the 5K displays.

21. Kabeyun macrumors 65816

Kabeyun

Great. As soon as Apple gives us a new Mini, maybe I’ll get one.

22. jujufreeze macrumors 6502a

Those LG 4k HDR OLED Televisions are gorgeous though.

23. theluggage macrumors 68040

Nope - I have an external 28" 4k connected to my iMac and there is a choice of scaled modes that give you more screen estate than the strict 2x "looks like 1080p" mode, the higher of which would be perfect for 32" displays. Not quite as pin sharp as 5k of course, but still head and shoulders above low resolution displays.

Also, even I can use native 4k on the 28" for short periods before my middle-aged and astigmatic eyeballs melt- a young whipper-snapper with young eyesight would be quite happy on a 32" display, great for shedloads of code or huge spreadsheet.

24. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

I have dual 5K displays right now from Dell and it works flawlessly. Never experienced a hang or crash when plugging them in or removing them.

25. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502

It's completely absurd how big most monitors are today. I'm sorry, but you are a complete knob-head if you use a 32" monitor.