LG Announces Upgraded Set of Monitors With Full Thunderbolt 3 Compatibility

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. groovyd macrumors 65816

groovyd

Finally time to upgrade my original 27" LED Cinema as long as it includes a built in hub for to replace a docking station for my new MacBookPro. Is it curved? Thinking 34" un-curved might be too wide for my desktop.

2. genzai macrumors newbie

See, the funny thing is you can have a machine with a couple of TB3 ports and all the advantages of that, AND also have the other still very useful ports that most of us still need dongles for. This is not a rationale for apple's decision to exclude other ports.

/g

3. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

Almost all Ultrawides are curved. I have a 34" Dell Ultrawide myself. As you're always sitting in the sweet spot the curve isn't noticeable, instead it counteracts the perspective you'd get looking down such a long display.

They're awesome to work on, and even better for gaming. I'm very tempted by the 5K HDR one though, it would be a nice upgrade.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2017 ---
    That's an absurd thing to say. Bigger is always better. Why would you think otherwise? And there's absolutely no justification for such unpleasant, offensive language.

4. bill44 macrumors newbie

This is a HDR monitor.
    Does the Mac supports HDR?
    Can you play back UHD BD movies with HDR?

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It’s nice that you live in an Apple commercial, apparently, but the real world is messier.

We have two new MacBook Pros and one plain MacBook in our office and let me tell you, the “single cable” thing is a big old lie. (Which is a lot of fun on the MacBook with just one port!)

Maybe in the future this stuff will all work (and these monitors look like a good first step) but it’s seriously going to take another year or two.

Here’s hoping Apple doesn’t move to some all-new connector by then. Ha ha. Just kidding. They absolutely will. That’s what happened right about the time accessories caught up with thunderbolt 2, so I’m fully expecting it to happen again this time.

6. iCat Suspended

iCat

Innovation cannot always wait for those who aren't ready to afford or adapt. Otherwise we'd still have floppy drives.

7. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Nobody is arguing for it to wait... just give us consumers more utility baked in between now and "the future."

Innovation doesn't have to burden customers for upwards of years to get us somewhere better either. If some innovation is in fact superior, we'll migrate to it because it is better.

I welcome USB3C + TB3 myself. I don't love paying extra for and carrying dongles to make it actually do something while we await its implementation almost everywhere else. Implement it with much more commonly used ports now- as Apple used to do when pushing a new standard- and let its superiority win us all over without so much hassle & inconvenience. Then deprecate the aging standards when few want or need them anymore because "the future" has arrived...again, like Apple used to do.

8. tebruno99 macrumors newbie

My question is will these even work. Every LG external monitor I've used with my MBP just reports no signal, or OSX draws the desktop as if it is 2 monitor but the LG is a black screen and OSX thinks it is actually drawing on the screen. I've been doing extensive testing of LG models and will have youtube videos up soon.

So.. so bad.

9. az431 macrumors 6502

What an utterly ridiculous statement.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

I actually wanted it to be curved, it just doesn’t look it from the photo.

11. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

Looking at the press shots again I think you may be right. Most curious.

12. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

I went to the Apple Store to look at the LG 5K monitors when they came out last year. I really was not impressed. The image quality looked worse than a 5K iMac, distortion around the items in the top menu bar, the numbers on clock looked squished.

Could have been a bad setup on that monitor, scaling wrong or something, but I walked away with the impression that I'd rather not have an LG screen.

Hopefully, these solve that issue if it did exist on other screens.

13. Chancha macrumors 6502a

That’s because Apple has no TB3 Mac Pro to attach the monitor to, therefore the stores have to use the trash can MP, via a TB2 to TB3 dongle, outputting only a scaled resolution of sub5k (forgot where they set exactly, 4k or worse).

Ideally they should use a vanilla TBD for the tcMP, while using a 2017 MBP or iMac for the 5k LG, but in my local Apple Store which isn’t the largest ones out there, the Mac desktop space/table only has 4 spots, 2 for each iMac, 1 for 4k LG + 13” MBP, the remaining spot is therefore forced to show both the 5K LG and the tcMP.

14. PickUrPoison macrumors 65816

That’s weird... why wouldn’t they put the LG 5K on the 13” MBP and the 4K on the nMP?

15. Chancha macrumors 6502a

I thought the same, asked a Genius, he probably was halfarsing an answer, but it was something along the lines of “we had to match the priciest to the priciest”.

Either way, this shows Apple does/did have a severe lack of focus on Mac desktops, to the point of neglecting in-store presentation/experience.

16. PickUrPoison macrumors 65816

Or it shows that someone plugged the wrong monitor into the MBP.

17. Gorms macrumors 6502

Gorms

Ahhhhhhh, this explains why it looked bad! Thank you

18. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502

19. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

Please explain.

LG IPS panels are very widely used, including by Apple. They have no image retention problems.

20. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502

there is a lot of problems with image retention on LG Panels, you can find even on this forum especially iMacs with Retina screen

21. ThatSandWyrm macrumors regular

ThatSandWyrm

The current ones act as a hub with 3 TB3 ports on the back. Problem is, I'd prefer 2 TB3 ports and 3-4 standard USB 3.0 type-A ports for older peripherals.

22. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

How do you connect them to the MBP? As far as I knew the only 5K that have TB3 were the LG ones.

23. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 68040

OldSchoolMacGuy

I have a dock but could also use DisplayPort which is the same connection at TB and works the same. Using the dock allows me to run 2 monitors, a RAID, external hard drives, ethernet, and other fun plus power from connecting just one cable to my MBP.

24. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

Sigh, a single dock can’t support two 5K displays.

25. VictorTango777, Dec 22, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2017

VictorTango777 macrumors regular

Too bad Apple apparently test their applications only on 12 inch MacBook screens and assumes that everyone in the world only uses a 12 inch screen. Other Mac application developers are not much better in this regard. Open different application windows (Finder windows, Finder: Connect To Server, Keynote, TextEdit, Omnigraffle, VMware Fusion, and more) on a small MacBook screen with no external monitor connected, taking the time to center everything on your screen. Close everything, then connect a large external monitor and set it as the main display. Reopen those applications and windows - now they are all thrown into the bottom left corner of the large monitor. If you are a traveler who switches multiple times a day between using laptop screen alone and using a large external monitor as the main display, the constant avalanche of windows into the bottom-left corner of the screen will become very irritating. Might as well put a large piece of cardboard over these new large monitors, then cut a hole in the bottom left corner.

Note to application developers: Don't assume that everyone in the world uses the same size monitor as you. Don't assume that everyone in the world uses the same size monitor as everyone else. Don't hardcode window positions based on a fixed screen resolution because a monitor with a different resolution will throw everything out of whack.