LG Announces Upgraded Set of Monitors With Full Thunderbolt 3 Compatibility

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 21, 2017.

1. PalidinoDH macrumors member

If only that ultrawide wouldn't end up being priced at $1k-$2k I would be interested. Is a base 2017 macbook pro 13" even capable of pushing a 5K 34" ultrawide...?

But only almost, LG specifically being one of the few that sell a 34" ultrawide that is flat.

2. PickUrPoison, Dec 23, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2017

PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

The 2016/2017 model 13” Mac Pro supports 5120x2880 at 60 Hz but that’s not the resolution of LG’s 34” ultrawide 5K monitor, it uses 5120 x 2160. But that should be a supported resolution.

3. Chancha macrumors 6502a

5120x2160 probably is supported even for Macs/GPUs that only do 4k, because the vertical scan lines required is the same, which is where graphical power is needed.

4. PickUrPoison macrumors 68000

Macs that are only 4K have a max resolution of 4096x2304 as far as I know.

5. seymansey macrumors member

LG make great products, but their support here in the UK is horrendous. Take everything you know about apple’s support, invert it and you have come some way to describing the experience. There are many online retailers selling the LG 5k monitor, and i found out the hard way that LG doesn’t provide any support on them whatsoever, even if the unit is less than 12 months old.

6. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

You give Apple too much credit. I’d say take Apple and take it just one notch down to find LG’s support level. ie, Apple isn’t much better.

7. cult hero macrumors 6502a

cult hero

Yep. Pretty much. I like having a webcam on my monitor. It's really handy.

I have two of said monitors and they are, far and away, the nicest monitors I have ever used.

8. Chidorin macrumors member

potentionally that's how a redesigned imac will look with more space for cooling and more performance (less pixels than current 5k imac 16,7mln vs 10mln)

9. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

Off thread I know, but I would think that your ‘someone’ would actually be describing a pro user whose income depended on frequenting multiple workplaces, you know, to be a professional. Such a person would have no ability to dictate what connections there are in any particular workplace. At home, sure, what you describe would be very nice. But your vision of ‘most people’ is more like the kind of pro who works at Apple. No other workplace is likely to have the connection unity envisioned by Ive.

10. albebaubles macrumors 6502

albebaubles

Apple uses LG for their displays.

11. mgauss7 macrumors regular

mgauss7

Returned my 4K LG, would crash my Mid 2017 iMac. Calls to Apple were not successful. Viewsonic display works great. 5K LG I was told at Apple Store is also crashing Macs.

12. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502

You can find Samsung panels too, which they are better than LG.

13. Mac32 Suspended

Has anyone heard any rumours about HDR in Apple displays? My impression is that the current iMac and iMac Pro doesn't support HDR in any shape or form. For one, 2017 iMac display doesn't have real 10bit colours (only simulated). HDR is the biggest reason I'm sceptical to spend $6000 on a iMac Pro right now. I assume that HDR would be an important upgrade for the new stand-alone Apple display in 2018, and is AFAIK the new must-have standard for high quality monitors in 2018.

14. Chancha macrumors 6502a

In my opinion, HDR is ideal only on a proofing monitor for a visual professional, and then only on a multimedia consumption display for a consumer. The issue is the peak brightness required is so high, such that it burns your eyes if you look at the screen for prolonged period if it's mostly white background webpages and documents. A standalone HDR display makes much more sense in these scenarios since you can have an ordinarily lighted display for main interfacing, then use these HDR displays as a secondary. The iMac being an AIO should prioritize itself as the interfacing display first. (I know this first hand, my iMac 5K 2017 is always set at ~50% brightness, with another 100%ARGB 27" display next to it set to roughly the same cd/m2, and then a 3rd display which is a flat TV that goes all the way to its peak brightness since all I use it is to playback videos.

15. Mac32, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017

Mac32 Suspended

Thanks, that does makes sense. However, HDR is now showing up in lots of mid-high to high range of monitors of different types - professional, gaming etc. A crucial factor in producing proper HDR is a more complex backlighting system, ie. FALD (Full Array Local Dimming) w/hundreds of individual zones that respond differently to the lighting in a movie, game etc. Max brightness would only be in localised zones, not the entire screen. Obviously the iMac doesn't have this, but HDR seems to be the new standard for HQ monitors.

When Apple will jump on this wagon is another question. Of course the Apple display is already of very high quality in terms of colours and contrast, but with HDR it could be absolutely amazing. It doesn't seem entirely unlikely at Apple updates their 2018 displays with this technology, as both LG and Samsung are now releasing various hi-res monitors with HDR.

16. Chancha macrumors 6502a

In order for HDR to not be eye burning, the OS and various software need to take into account the presence of HDR first, which isn't yet happening enough. For instance, if a game or a graphics oriented app such as Photoshop demands HDR, then the OS should switch itself to HDR mode, then switch back to "SDR" mode for interfacing, and/or keep the interface SDR while only graphical content being HDR (exceeding a certain brightness threshold). This creates complication, because we switch between multiple apps with multiple visual requirements thousands times a day. This process really takes time, even now we still have issues displaying images color profile correctly and consistently across apps when viewed with a wide gamut display.

Anyway, back to my original point: HDR on PC is nowhere near ready unless you know what you are doing.

17. Mac32, Dec 28, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017

Mac32 Suspended

This whole HDR thing is a bit confusing, appreciate the answer! :)

However, I see that the 2017 iPhone and iPad Pro models support HDR movie content (don't own one), but I don't know how HDR support is integrated into the iOS system (Apple is touting the iPad Pro as a laptop-replacer). I guess this is not true HDR support (w/FALD), otherwise Apple would have made a big deal out of it on their website.

18. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

It’s 2018 now and you’re still hung up on dongles?

You can reminisce about VGA connectors all you want. I’m super thankful for TB3 and modern times!

19. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    So you're happy about dongles? Because odds are high that you cannot connect your TB3 to just about anything via TB3.

And bringing up VGA is just pitiful. I very clearly conveyed the desire to hook to commonplace ports in use TODAY, not being able to hook into stuff from a decade+ ago.

I'll accept the premise that USB3C+TB3 is "the future". The whine is about getting good utility out of multi-thousand dollar laptops between now and that "the future." Dongles are a poor (non) solution to a problem that few of us have, especially when considered against the reality of Apple formerly building commonly-used ports INSIDE laptops that cost less than they charge today.

Where were you faulting Apple back then for building laptops with many ports instead of dumping all of them and embracing just a single emerging standard that just about won't connect to anything else without a dongle? I don't recall any such complaints back when Apple built their laptops with such utility.

AND, there's nothing here suggesting Apple should not support USB3C+TB3... just that I wish it wasn't the ONLY port until we get to that "the future" when everything to which we might need to connect a laptop has embraced it too.

But I'm glad you are happy. Enjoy your dongles. Apple is always right.

20. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

And that work 100% reliably

21. acana79 macrumors newbie

acana79

The 34WK95U is not a 5K display. It's an ultra wide 4K display judging by the 2160 resolution, and not 2880 that 5K requires.

22. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

I fell for that gimmick from Apple as well. I got the 2016 MBP (maxed out) and two 5K displays. Most problematic setup I've ever owned. Time and time again, I plug in the 5Ks to only have the backlight turn on, but nothing else. I open the lid of my MBP and the internal display also doesn't come on. Force reboot is the only way I get this damn thing to work.

23. jimthing, Jan 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Several others of us have exactly this setup and no problems, I'm using them as I type. Provided we had early Feb 2017 models onwards (and not the late 2016's with the shielding issue).

If you've got these Feb onwards display, then it's your personal setup that is likely bad, I'd suggest testing another maxed-out 15" MBP with the two LG's (I'd just buy, test, and return it) to check if your MBP is the weak link. Then if it is, get onto AppleCare and complain your head off pronto, until you get a replacement machine.

24. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

I had both mine shipped out for the shielding fix. On a more positive note, I FINALLY got apple to relent and ship me a box for a repair. I just hope they don't return it back to me untouched (which is something I'd expect of Apple lately).

25. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Good luck. Let us know the outcome. ;-)