Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

LG Backtracks on Promise to Bring AirPlay 2 and HomeKit to Select 2018 TV Models

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LG has "no plans" to update its pre-2019 TVs with AirPlay 2 or HomeKit support, despite previously giving customers assurances that they would do so this year.

In April, LG indicated in a support document that it planned to add AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support to some of its 2018 smart TVs by October 2020, including LCD models with "SK" or "UK" in the name and OLED models with "B8" through "Z8" in the name.

Shortly after the news broke, however, all mention of LG's plan for the 2018 TVs was mysteriously removed from the support page, and LG remained silent on the matter for months thereafter.

Screenshot showing LG's TV update plans, since removed (Image via HardwareZone)

It wasn't until a little over a week ago when a customer asked LG's official UK Twitter account for an update on when the support would arrive that LG finally admitted it has no intention of fulfilling its promise.

The development is likely to cause consternation and anger among LG customers, especially anyone who bought a 2018 TV based on LG's update plan, not to mention the almost 22,000 LG TV owners who believed their petition calling for the company to bring the support had resulted in success.

AirPlay 2 support would have enabled users of the above TV models to stream videos, music, podcasts, and more directly from an iPhone, iPad, or Mac to their LG smart TV, with no Apple TV necessary. With HomeKit support, they would have easily been able to control their TV's power, volume, source, and more using Siri or the Home app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Sadly, neither looks like it will now be happening.

Article Link: LG Backtracks on Promise to Bring AirPlay 2 and HomeKit to Select 2018 TV Models

Last edited:

BYTE RIDER

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2014
The LG iOS app can turn the TV off, but not on. WT*?
And it makes me choose my TV from a list of exactly one TV every time it launches.

Otherwise it's a great TV that still supports 3D and everything important (4K, HDR, OLED).

Last edited:
Reactions: AccenT and svenning
Comment

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Yeah, all this built in Apple TV stuff is crummy anyway. I recently bought a cheapish Samsung Crystal UHD TV for the bedroom and it claimed all this support. True it all works but it's slow as heck, so I upgraded the downstairs ATV to a 4K version and moved the old ATV4 to the bedroom. It's a great combo and I don't have to see adverts every time I open up my "Samsung Home Hub".

Comment

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
FYI, this isn’t something that can simply be replaced by buying an Apple TV.

HomeKit support in the TV means that using the virtual Apple TV remote on your phone, you can still control volume on your TV and do other stuff like changing to input back to cable box to momentarily check something then back to Apple TV.

Having an Apple TV obviously makes the airplay stuff redundant and also let’s you ignore the TVs crappy,out of date built in apps - but the HomeKit support is something you can’t fully replicate with just an Apple TV.

Comment

jaworskimatt

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2019
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I’m glad my Samsung has the apps for Netflix, Apple TV and supports Airplay, that’s what let me withhold AppleTV device purchase until a new model comes out.

Any time now, second year in the waiting 😂

Reactions: Denzo
Comment

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Hardly surprising. I think it's better to have a streaming device than to be held ransom by these manufacturers.

Reactions: Lazy
Comment

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
These TV manufacturers don't even know what HomeKit support means, they think it's the AppleTV app!

In fairness, you do get to see your TV on your HomeKit devices. Not that you can do much with it anyway. And a true classic fail. The moment you turn off your TV, you can no longer turn it on using HomeKit because it disconnects itself from the network. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Even better.....Smart Things is just as crummy. We have a washing machine with "smart" controls. Brilliant I thought! I can load up my machine at night, and have it ready for me in the morning or when I'm back from work!

No....not so smart at all. Firstly, you must remember to turn on the "smart mode", otherwise it's as dumb as every other machine out there. And you cannot apply any automation rules to it using the native app.

I've managed to work it out using Home Assistant running on my Raspberry Pi, but truly tell me how many families do that level of automation and custom coding in their homes?!?!!?

These companies are just muppets who want to add "smart" to everything, but the reality is they are as useless as a tin of dried up paint.

Comment

Denzo

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
Thats pathetic. I have an LG oled C8 64 inch. What kind of company does this? And I didn't buy it discounted i bought it nearly RRP.. never LG again.. never!! Pricks!!!!

They must have to pay a licence fee to apple for a couple of $... no excuse though.. what do they expect me to replace my 12 mth old TV that I paid $5k for so I can use apple TV?

Comment

Jamie0003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
This is exactly why I wish Apple would come out with an actual TV set. Having an Apple TV box doesn’t stop this kinda crap from happening, my B6 OLED from 2016 is old at this point but I have no dbout in my mind that Apple would enable HomeKit support. I currently use homebridge for HomeKit support but the experience is poor, it doesn’t work well with scenes, is very slow and shouldn’t be necessary in the first place...

Comment

Gubbz

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
Perth, Australia
I love my LG TVs, I think they are a great bit of kit, but the company is another matter, they have a BIG reputation for this sort of treatment, they still have the old attitude of you buy it as it is, once you walk out the shop door, that model is lost in time (2yrs is pathetic in the modern world), if you want an upgrade, come back with the money for another one...

Reactions: iBluetooth
Comment

Jamie0003

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
In fairness, you do get to see your TV on your HomeKit devices. Not that you can do much with it anyway. And a true classic fail. The moment you turn off your TV, you can no longer turn it on using HomeKit because it disconnects itself from the network. 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Even better.....Smart Things is just as crummy. We have a washing machine with "smart" controls. Brilliant I thought! I can load up my machine at night, and have it ready for me in the morning or when I'm back from work!

No....not so smart at all. Firstly, you must remember to turn on the "smart mode", otherwise it's as dumb as every other machine out there. And you cannot apply any automation rules to it using the native app.

I've managed to work it out using Home Assistant running on my Raspberry Pi, but truly tell me how many families do that level of automation and custom coding in their homes?!?!!?

These companies are just muppets who want to add "smart" to everything, but the reality is they are as useless as a tin of dried up paint.
Erm.....this seems utterly pointless to me anyway. If you’re loading the washing machine up surely you can just turn it on? Or am I missing something?

Reactions: PC_tech
Comment

jaworskimatt

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2019
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Erm.....this seems utterly pointless to me anyway. If you’re loading the washing machine up surely you can just turn it on? Or am I missing something?

The idea is the machine runs itself at night, I guess, if you have been adding dishes throughout the day and might have a snack at 10pm 😉 The machine runs at 2am to be safe. Assuming your place is noise cancelling enough.

Comment

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
Another reason to NEVER to buy an LG product.

It was those folks at LG that didn't even update their flagship phones.
See: https://www.androidheadlines.com/2019/04/lg-update-center-sucks.html and https://www.computerworld.com/article/3389658/lg-upgrade-letdown.html

Samsung does a (slightly) better job at keeping their TV's up to date, but it's sad that my perfectly fine 3,5 year old 40" 4K tv from Samsung doesn't get the Apple TV app, even though it plays Netflix 4K without a problem.

And it doesn't make sense AT ALL: People often buy a new phone every two or three years, but 95% of the people buy a TV and only replace it when it breaks down after 8+ years or when something revolutionaries comes to light (color, widescreen, HD, Full HD, 4K). So keeping it up to date with (at very least) security updates is absolutely a necessity in 2020, given that hackers could gain easy access to older smart tv's and listen to your conversations through the bluetooth remote control with voice control or even spy at you through the camera some tv's had build in.

Comment

The_Gream

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2020
Though I feel I understand both sides of this argument well, some people just act like they are entitled to so much stuff. If you bought your TV prior to the software/hardware upgrades and the release of Apple TV app and Airplay on your TV, boohoo. You got what you paid for. Just because some companies decided to add the function doesn’t mean they had to. Even the TVs in my house they could upgrade to it, I already sank the money into 4K Apple TV’s for them. I find that most of the “smart TVs I have used tend to be more “stupid”. So the extra money on an Apple TV box just made it much easier to maintain.
my two cents.

Comment

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe

I get you, but I'll explain....(TV's to washing machines...love it)

The cycle takes about 2-3 hours, and we sleep about 7-8. If you leave damp clothes in the drum for several hours, it'll go musty, so you just set everything to start washing at around 4am so when you're up at 7am, you just empty the machine and put your clothes to dry. Just convenience.

Reactions: Frosties and Lazy
Comment

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
Surely there is scope for legal action here.

Anyone who bought an LG TV on the basis of promised features which were then not delivered should be entitled to compensation, or a refund.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.