LG Display Could Supply OLED Displays for This Year's 'iPhone X Plus'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

LG Display saw its shares surge to a one-month high on Wednesday following a report that the company will begin supplying OLED panels to Apple's new range of iPhones this year (via Financial Times).

LG's stock rallied on an Electronic Times report that the South Korean firm would make over 15 million OLED panels for Apple's 2018 range of iPhones. LG is already a supplier of LCD panels, currently used in the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, but Samsung dominates supply of OLED displays for Apple's flagship iPhone X. Indeed, last week LG Display revealed in a regulatory filing that it didn't supply any of the OLED panels currently used in the iPhone X.

iPhone X Plus mockup by Benjamin Geskin via iDrop News

However, that could change this year, since Apple is expected to launch two new 5.8-inch and 6.5-inch iPhone models with OLED displays in 2018. According to today's report, LG Display will supply Apple with the 6.5-inch OLED panels, while Samsung will supply the 5.8-inch or 6-inch OLED panels.

Reports have been trickling out since July 2017 that Apple has invested billions of dollars in LG's OLED production capability for smartphones, but the fruits of its investment were thought to be some ways off. LG was initially reported to have secured 45,000 panels per month for future iPhones from 2019, while as recently as September it was suggested that Apple would have to wait until at least next year before it could move beyond Samsung for significant supplies of OLED panels. However, Wednesday's report suggests LG could secure its position as the number two supplier of OLED screens for Apple's iPhones as early as the second half of 2018. LG is said to be planning to mass-produce the panels for Apple at its Gen 6 flexible OLED production line located in Paju, South Korea.

LG came in for scrutiny recently after it emerged that the firm supplied Google with the Pixel 2 XL's OLED displays, some of which were reportedly prone to screen burn-in or image retention issues. It remains unclear whether the problems stemmed from LG or other factors were involved, although the smaller Pixel 2 and original Pixel phones - both with Samsung-supplied OLED displays - have experienced far fewer issues. It's also worth noting that Apple says OLED displays can show "slight visual changes" after extended long-term use and minor screen burn-in is considered normal.

The new iPhone X and iPhone X Plus will likely launch around the usual timeframe of September to October, potentially alongside a new 6.1-inch mid-range model with an LCD display.

Article Link: LG Display Could Supply OLED Displays for This Year's 'iPhone X Plus'
  2. MH01, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

MH01 Suspended

Feb 11, 2008
    Is LG better than Samsung?

Samsung does produce very good panels.

Edit : who makes the iPad Pro 10.5 panel? I still prefer this to the iPhone X, which they used that in the X until OLED got sorted.
  3. snc macrumors regular

Jan 29, 2016
    Probably worse but cheaper
  4. Keniutek macrumors 6502

Oct 6, 2011
    Not in the "phone department".
  5. Xgm541 macrumors 65816

May 3, 2011
    Previous years have shown that they're not better. Queue "is my phone Samsung or LG" posts when the new phone drops.
  6. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

Feb 1, 2014
    Think Qualcomm vs Intel for LTE chips. One is much better than the other but the other is much cheaper and not from a company Apple hates having to do business with.
  7. Quu macrumors 68020

Apr 2, 2007
    LG make great TV panels but their phone OLED's have not got a good reputation at all.
  8. TroyBoy30, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018

TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

Jun 9, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    they def are in the tv segment, not so much in the phone segment
  9. fokmik macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2016
    like we saw...Apple will perfect the panel from the manufacture...look samsung vs iphone x burn in situations or colour accuracy or brightness
    So i think Apple will not allow LG to make the mistake that they did with pixel 2 XL
  10. Mike MA, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

Sep 21, 2012
    So the iPhone X will continue to exist? I‘m not convinced yet if the SE will also see an update. Who knows...it will depend on the sales figures for sure.
  11. Porco macrumors 68030

Mar 28, 2005
    I wonder if the notch will remain the same proportion (as in your mock-up) or if they will keep it exactly the same size as the X (so proportionally smaller on a Plus model)?
  12. nviz22 macrumors 68040

Jun 24, 2013
    Seeing as LG had issues with the Pixel XL 2 and V30? Not too confident as a consumer.
  13. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Jan 7, 2006
    Any rumors on purported pixel size of the next iPhone X with 6.5" screen?
  14. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

Jul 25, 2016
    Be it LG or Samsung, I instantly lose interest as soon as I see that notch :(
  15. brian3uk macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2016
    The Samsung panels in the X have been pretty inconsistent. If the LG looks worse, then the bad Samsungs will look amazing in comparison. Guess it’ll be another year of wait and see for me.
  16. Delgibbons macrumors 6502

Dec 14, 2016
    LG mobile displays are utterly dreadful. This is going to be hilarious.

17. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Apr 22, 2008
  18. asdavis10 macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2008
    Apple won’t use LG if they are getting the same quality as the Pixel display. Apple’s display for the X is custom so they’ll do the same with LG. Shouldn’t be any issue provided Apple does sufficient testing before production.
  19. DNichter macrumors 601

Apr 27, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA
    Although LG has struggled with mobile screens, I will defer to Apple's decision here. After besting everyone out with their first attempt at an OLED screen with the X, I am confident Apple will make sure LG is up to their standards.
  20. GucciPiggy macrumors regular

Oct 1, 2014
    LG is most definitely worse than Samsung when it comes to screens.
  21. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

Jan 10, 2005
    Thonglor, Bangkok
    Why would it be proportionally smaller? The size is based on the elements it contains, no?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    I don’t get all the brouhaha over OLED. Compared my 7+ to my SOs X last night. On full brightness the 7+ was way brighter, which for aging eyes like mine is more important than color reproduction fidelity.

Is it just that OLED has “true black” that everyone is raving about it? Not a big selling point to me.
  22. Eagle1337 macrumors member

Feb 9, 2017
    I do agree about the brightness, but thats not OLED's fault thats just apples decision about the X. Samsung S8 has ~1000 nits and note 8 has 1200 nits on OLED (twice the amount of X). iphone x has ~625 nits. I bet (hope) Apple will increase nits on next gen devices.
  23. pat500000 macrumors 604

Jun 3, 2015
    Well...pixel 2 xl had a burn-in issue that was supplied by lg.
  24. MacBergin macrumors regular

Jul 8, 2015
    maybe this partnership with LG can lead to an Apple monitor or TV