Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Google had also made a heavy investment in LG. Some of their display issues had to with how they calibrated the display. But the quality of the panels themselves has been, shall we say, not up to the standard people have been used to from seeing Samsung’s best on the market for the last three years.

The blue shift was really strong on most of the ones I’ve seen, including the one my husband had.

It’s been interesting comparing the Samsung made panels between my iPhone X and that of my husband’s X. They look completely different and have very different characteristics. My display had pure blinding whites with a slight pink cast and no blue shift when tilting the display off axis. My husband’s X has pretty strong blue shift that lends a teal color to the display off axis. But his whites are less harsh and look almost like the soft whites of an e-ink reader.

I am returning my X because reading text on it just kills my eyes after a few minutes. The flicker from pulse width modulation doesn’t affect everyone, but for a few of us it makes the text appear to jitter enough it’s hard to focus on. Still, I can put up with it if the whites of my display weren’t so harsh. Even on the low brightness settings theres a glare like looking at snow in sunlight. I’ll take my husband’s X when he’s ready to pass it down.

I’ve always known since owning my first Samsung phone that there was a variance in the looks and quality of the OLED displays even by the same manufacturer. But this was the biggest variance I’ve seen so far.

I was planning on staying with my IPhone 7 Plus, but if the future is as it is being rumored, I might trade it in for a IPhone 8 Plus to buy myself a little more time with iOS and a really good LCD panel.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
LG's OLED TV's are incredible. As for the iPhone X display, it will be a custom Apple designed display manufactured by LG.

Thats why I always laugh at the "Samsung made the display in your iPhone ner! ner!" - Apple designed the custom display, Samsung used their factory machinery to manufacture the Apple designed display.

Reactions: bobob

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Does Samsung have some patent on production process which forces LG to make inferior displays?

Cornfed710

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2017
I do agree about the brightness, but thats not OLED's fault thats just apples decision about the X. Samsung S8 has ~1000 nits and note 8 has 1200 nits on OLED (twice the amount of X). iphone x has ~625 nits. I bet (hope) Apple will increase nits on next gen devices.

I think you need to check your facts about screen brightness. The details are very important. Maybe you should check out displaymate.

The iPhone X has a record high Full Screen Brightness for OLED Smartphones of 634 nits, which improves screen visibility in high Ambient Light. The Samsung Galaxy Note8 can produce up to 1,240 nits, but only for small portions of the screen area (Low Average Picture Levels) – for Full Screen Brightness the Note8 can produce up to 423 nits with Manual Brightness and 560 nits with Automatic Brightness only in High Ambient Light. For small portions of the screen area the iPhone X can produce up to 809 nits (Low Average Picture Levels). On its Home Screen the iPhone X produces an impressively bright 726 nits. See the Screen Brightness section for the measurements and details.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
LG's OLED TV's are incredible. As for the iPhone X display, it will be a custom Apple designed display manufactured by LG.

Thats why I always laugh at the "Samsung made the display in your iPhone ner! ner!" - Apple designed the custom display, Samsung used their factory machinery to manufacture the Apple designed display.
7.jpg

I hope Apple can get LG's act together....

Reactions: Jetcat3

punchwalk

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Maryland, USA
I love OLED's true black, but I'm hoping a viable panel technology successor emerges soon. OLED is inherently vulnerable to a few problems that are disappointing to encounter on a device in iPhone X's price range, such as burn-in, poor near-black uniformity, black crush, and black smear. Improvements have come at a snail's pace, even on top-of-the-line OLED televisions.

Reactions: Joe h and 5105973

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
The iPhone X already looks cheap with the notch. Adding a cheaper screen is going to make it even worse.

I don't feel it looks cheap. As I posted in another thread, I was at a Best Buy over the holiday weekend and the iPhone X just looked the best in a sea of bezel free phones on display. All the others just looked the same, and a much bigger bezel on top and bottom.

The iPhone X looked the most modern and bezel free of them all.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I agree that its likely Apple will require LG to improve their screens. However, will they improve enough to match the Samsung OLED panels? It's clear that Apple does have a tolerance for variation of quality between manufacturers. Just look at the many Qualcomm vs Intel modem threads.

The LG iPhones might be acceptable vs Samsung panels which would be better.

Reactions: 5105973

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I agree that its likely Apple will require LG to improve their screens. However, will they improve enough to match the Samsung OLED panels? It's clear that Apple does have a tolerance for variation of quality between manufacturers. Just look at the many Qualcomm vs Intel modem threads.

The LG iPhones might be acceptable vs Samsung panels which would be better.

Samsung and LG are the two titans of OLED design and manufacturing, and have been for years. Apple does not have this expertise or they wouldn't need the others. Its comical to me that folks on here think Apple is just going to come in and make these two do something dramatically better or different than they did on their own, when they both sell their own products using similar components.

Reactions: 5105973

golgo1313

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2008
Claremont, CA
Is LG better than Samsung?

Samsung does produce very good panels.

Edit : who makes the iPad Pro 10.5 panel? I still prefer this to the iPhone X, which they used that in the X until OLED got sorted.

LG made the panels for the pixel 2 xl. It is a major weak point of the phone... People complain about the blue shift.

Reactions: MH01

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
This makes me nervous, but presumably they have demonstrated to Apple that they won’t end up in a pixel 2 xl situation. If this story is even true.

riverfreak

macrumors 68000
Jan 10, 2005
Thonglor, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon
Google had also made a heavy investment in LG. Some of their display issues had to with how they calibrated the display. But the quality of the panels themselves has been, shall we say, not up to the standard people have been used to from seeing Samsung’s best on the market for the last three years.

The blue shift was really strong on most of the ones I’ve seen, including the one my husband had.

It’s been interesting comparing the Samsung made panels between my iPhone X and that of my husband’s X. They look completely different and have very different characteristics. My display had pure blinding whites with a slight pink cast and no blue shift when tilting the display off axis. My husband’s X has pretty strong blue shift that lends a teal color to the display off axis. But his whites are less harsh and look almost like the soft whites of an e-ink reader.

I am returning my X because reading text on it just kills my eyes after a few minutes. The flicker from pulse width modulation doesn’t affect everyone, but for a few of us it makes the text appear to jitter enough it’s hard to focus on. Still, I can put up with it if the whites of my display weren’t so harsh. Even on the low brightness settings theres a glare like looking at snow in sunlight. I’ll take my husband’s X when he’s ready to pass it down.

I’ve always known since owning my first Samsung phone that there was a variance in the looks and quality of the OLED displays even by the same manufacturer. But this was the biggest variance I’ve seen so far.

I was planning on staying with my IPhone 7 Plus, but if the future is as it is being rumored, I might trade it in for a IPhone 8 Plus to buy myself a little more time with iOS and a really good LCD panel.

That’s really interesting about the jittery text. I noticed that as well but thought it was due to a brain injury which makes me hypersensitive to things like the flicker of fluorescent lights.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Does Samsung have some patent on production process which forces LG to make inferior displays?

Maybe Samsung just does it better?

Does Apple have some patent on production process which forces Android or PCs to be inferior?
[doublepost=1514991624][/doublepost]
Now we know the next gate. Plus as fas as I remember there was no display-gate.

While the term may or may not have been used, there is a very long history of splitting screen orders, almost always leading to a number of new threads in which people are returning their <Apple product> and hoping to get the same product with a Samsung screen. I've been on here since 2004. I probably remember this happening maybe 3-5 times (that I can remember).

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
apple will make the screens how they want it though. They get the panels and make the screen fit the software so I can't see it having the issues that the pixel had.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
$1500 with a one year battery - start lining up now.

The price doesnt bother me as I tend to keep my phones far longer than average -- still using the 6+. I wait for something I really want to upgrade. The X was too small for me, and 8+ while faster was still the same thing. The X+ now that is what I am willing to spend money on for 4 years of usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.