LG Display Could Supply OLED Displays for This Year's 'iPhone X Plus'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2018.

1. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

According to a thread around here somewhere, those of us prone to migraines will be affected, and some people who never had a migraine before ended up diagnosed with migraines as a result of difficulty with the pwm display.

2. Joe h macrumors member

Yep, and don’t forget about the migraine inducing flicker, the inability to display true white, color shifting, and ghosting. The negatives far outweigh the one, or two, positives.

Also, I won’t ever again touch a phone with a notch. And if this news of going to an even poorer quality display is true, more proof bean counter Tim is sabotaging the company.

3. MacBebe macrumors regular

It probably just me, but I don't really see any big difference between the OLED and LCD. Maybe because I don't watch too much video/movie on my iPhone? :D

4. kdarling, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2018

kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    There's zero evidence (and it makes no sense) that Apple did any OLED design work. In fact, Apple themselves have only said that they worked hard on calibration and specified high quality output from Samsung.

5. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

Apple has no skin in the OLED game. Without the work that Samsung/LG/etc have done they wouldn't have an OLED display to use, period. They designed some of the ICs that control the tech, that's it.

6. cmaier macrumors G4

Well there is maybe SOME evidence. http://appleinsider.com/articles/18...-to-burn-in-images-than-samsung-galaxy-note-8

Seems weird that Apple would do so much better than Samsung.

7. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

If they release a 6.5 model, that's the definite end of the iPad Mini, no?

8. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

I would have to believe Apple wil be using the same FaceID component so the answer would be the notch will look proportionally smaller on a Plus model.

9. cmaier macrumors G4

When was the last time that got updated?

10. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

Bad move on apple here....Will have a lot of returns on the plus size..

11. dazz87 macrumors 6502a

One plus 5 is not using a LG screen it's using a Samsung screen

12. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

The only way the mini line would survive would be if Apple decided to release a redesigned one with the iPhone X body/FaceID alongside a new 10.5” version. That would probably increase the screen size to about 9” from the current 7.9”. Unless they could reduce the size of the current 10.5” iPad Pro using the new body so it’s close enough to the current iPad mini 4. I suppose that would work too for current iPad mini owners, maybe even better with the larger screen size.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. The mini will live or die on it's own sales numbers, not because Apple makes an analogous iPhone. Apple has never used that as a criteria for whether to keep a device. If that were the case then Apple would have K.O.d all iPods a long time ago. Most kids not old enough to have a phone have a iPad mini or a Touch. Now whether Apple will bother to update the mini is a different question. But, of late, Apple has been increasing SKUs, not consolidating. So we'll either see a big price cut on the mini to $299 or Apple will update it to justify the current MSRP. I don't think it will be EOL'd this year.

14. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

Did Apple have Samsung reduce the nits due to burn-in/longevity concerns? That’s the only reason I could see Apple doing this, trying this as some preemptive, perhaps too aggressive mitigation tactic. Anyway, I would never set my iPhone anywhere close to full brightness.

15. Junior.Nguyen macrumors newbie

Junior.Nguyen

I'm about curious to see how LG produces it for Apple hopefully it won't end up like the Pixel 2 but OLED does run pretty well on iPhone X without any issues so I'm thinking it won't have any problem with OLED displays from LG

16. dampfnudel macrumors 68030

More LG vs. Samsung “lottery” talk incoming. In the past, usually getting a Samsung panel was considered “winning” that lottery.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2018 ---
    With LG, don’t be too sure. Their premium TVs with OLED have been good, smaller OLED panels on the other hand...

17. Junior.Nguyen macrumors newbie

Junior.Nguyen

I agree, I hope to see at least an actual Apple Flat screen tv or even more products inspired by LG like photography cameras and many others to come
    I mean iPhone resolution is always on point so it shouldn't have as much of a big issue like the Pixel 2 but we'll have to wait and see what happens next
    I forgot the iPad Mini is still available on Apple's website well the 4th generation

18. the johnmc macrumors member

the johnmc

Lucky Goldstar aren't great at quality control. Some of their stuff is good, some is absolutely awful. Also, the appropriate word to use in this situation is cue rather than queue.

19. Relentless Power, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

There were many reports of this. I suspect this rumor to be accurate. OLED is susceptible to some burn in, but Apples calibration and tuning with their displays has always been consistent. Should be interesting to see the side by side comparisons between the LG and Samsung OLED panels in 2018 for the iPhone X.

20. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

coolbreeze

Yep. Unless LG has overhauled it's production process, the next iPhone will have a serious blue tint.

Not good, ya'll will see. It's bad. Apple will have a mutiny on it's hands if they go LG in it's current OLED state.

21. Wowereit macrumors 6502a

Yeah, but with LTE modems you can't really fail.
    Maximum speed of 1 Gbit, 600 Mbit, 1.2 Gbit, 800 Mbit... who cares?
    The modems support more than double the speed you will ever see in real life during the lifetime of your phone and more than quadruple the speed you will ever be able to notice.

22. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

if they're the exclusive X plus supplier, X will be superior

Pixel 2 (samsung) vs Pixel 2 XL (LG) all over again

23. deanthedev macrumors 65816

deanthedev

Don’t know why you’d be nervous. LG, like all component manufacturers, would be constantly trying to improve their products. Current LG phone screens may not be the best, but that doesn’t mean all future screens will be the same.

I’m quite sure Apple would only use LG if they’re able to produce screens that meet their requirements.

24. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

The X is bulky for the “smaller sized” iPhone. Can’t imagine what the Plus is going to feel like. No Ma’am!!

25. FasterQuieter macrumors 6502

FasterQuieter

Let's hope the X Plus is a 55" phone then. LG haven't had much luck with smaller displays.