Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

medulla

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2012
I'm having a problem after updating to High Sierra.
While the speakers of the monitor are working for videos, all my notifications are going through my laptop while in clamshell mode which wasn't the case 2 hours ago while in Sierra.
Either an option has changed or this is a bug?
Anyone have anything to help?
Thanks.

Edit: Never mind, got it!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 3.06.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 3.06.00 PM.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

macross87

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2017
Them mushrooms huh :p
......ssshhhhhh......

I do have to say, my volume controls appear to be much better modulated with 10.13.1 v 10.13. Before, the volume from the monitor felt like I cranked up the gain. Now it feels more normal. Anyone else noticed that?

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Am looking to purchase!!! Going to finally replace my Thunderbolt display

I am running a late 13' MBP retina / so seems I'll have to run a USB-C Hub to USB adapter

Other then that, I am still on Yosemite, and haven't upgraded as I haven't seen the point - but now may have to?

Is there a distributer most are sourcing from that seem to be getting newer batches, that are safer?

Thanks, many thanks in advance guys!

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
I am still on Yosemite, and haven't upgraded as I haven't seen the point
Is this machine kept off the internet?
I very much doubt it.

Your Mac is more vulnerable to attack than you can imagine. You are missing all the security updates from Sierra and High Sierra (Yosemite will have had security updates during El Capitan’s lifecycle).
It is very naive to keep running an old OS like this, especially on a laptop given BroadPwn and the many other high profile vulnerabilities we’ve seen since Yosemite.
I suggest you update to Sierra or High Sierra, new monitor or not.

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
I very much doubt it.

Your Mac is more vulnerable to attack than you can imagine. You are missing all the security updates from Sierra and High Sierra (Yosemite will have had security updates during El Capitan’s lifecycle).
It is very naive to keep running an old OS like this, especially on a laptop given BroadPwn and the many other high profile vulnerabilities we’ve seen since Yosemite.
I very much doubt it.

Interesting. Didn’t know the Conclusion if it was a solid choice.

Side note: not to get off topic. There is for older MBP users a BenQ coming out 4K res / thunbolt connection. Might be another alternative if true native really can’t be run.

Shame...

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
Today I noticed that as well... I've submitted a second repair request.

This seems ridiculous all the problems owners are going through JUST for this 1 monitor.

Is it me? Or can you simply shop for alternatives on the market (maybe not 5k) 4K - that are equal in stature.

karataev

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
This seems ridiculous all the problems owners are going through JUST for this 1 monitor.

Is it me? Or can you simply shop for alternatives on the market (maybe not 5k) 4K - that are equal in stature.
I wish I knew it would be such a bad monitor. It's not like I can return it (Can I? Has anybody tried this?). The only option is to repair it :(

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
I wish I knew it would be such a bad monitor. It's not like I can return it (Can I? Has anybody tried this?). The only option is to repair it :(

Interesting. Was wondering how brand loyalist so to speak could keep everyone after all this trouble.

Genuinely interested: 4K/5k? (Comparing a high quality similar price point monitor to this) what is the actual selling point?

karataev

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
Interesting. Was wondering how brand loyalist so to speak could keep everyone after all this trouble.

Genuinely interested: 4K/5k? (Comparing a high quality similar price point monitor to this) what is the actual selling point?
5k, not sure I understand your question. At the time of buying that was the cheapest 5k monitor available. Turns out quality was also the worst. I should've bought Dell 5k :(

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
5k, not sure I understand your question. At the time of buying that was the cheapest 5k monitor available. Turns out quality was also the worst. I should've bought Dell 5k :(

Guess was in naive sense trying to figure out the rational behind 5k, when not much is out on 5k? But guess it's just overall picture resolution capable.

Dell looks good was checking out yesterday online. Seems most here are using the 5k for general purpose?

macross87

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2017
I ordered and received my 5ks around May this year. Other than the firmware upgrade struggles, I don't seem to experience the majority of issues mentioned here. Im pleased with them!

Reactions: scott_donald

Sam5281

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2014
I ordered and received my 5ks around May this year. Other than the firmware upgrade struggles, I don't seem to experience the majority of issues mentioned here. Im pleased with them!

Assume your using w a newer Mac / straight USB-C connection?

jack1984

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
Same here, the firmware was the only issue for me, as upon updating it I no longer have problems with the USB hub not working upon connecting, and the volume levels are much more gradual.

My monitor may still be unable to auto-update through LG Screen Manager, but the only missing feature is the enabling of the light sensor for auto brightness, which I'm not sure if I'll even use. LG's customer support sucks, I knew that going into it, but as it stands currently the monitor's performance is pretty much perfect for my uses. Knock on wood.

ctiptonk

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
Same problem as others here, mine says "3.01...The software is currently up to date." I wonder if it's because it's connected to a Mac Pro via Thunderbolt 2 adapter?

powerplant

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
My problems with Skype (internal hub crash causes unmounting of disco and loss of sound and webcam) when skyping disappeared with the 10.13.1 update. Skype is updated as well but i had the same problem with teh new Skype and 10.13.0 so the combination made the trick but i do not know if it was only dependent on the 13.1.
me happy very nice!

uwe92

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
I think that I found the problem.

My MacBook Pro (15",early 2016, with Touch Bar / High Sierra 10.13.1) has deleted my Touch IDs. Its the third time now that it happened - did somebody else have this problem? Anyway... since my Touch ID are again deleted it seems that my MacBook don't crash anymore in combination with my UltraFine 5k (LG Screen Manager 2.08 / Software Version of Monitor 3.04.....).

Can somebody deactivate his Touch ID to reproduce this? I will continue to monitor the situation and post anupdate.

karataev

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2017
I think that I found the problem.

My MacBook Pro (15",early 2016, with Touch Bar / High Sierra 10.13.1) has deleted my Touch IDs. Its the third time now that it happened - did somebody else have this problem? Anyway... since my Touch ID are again deleted it seems that my MacBook don't crash anymore in combination with my UltraFine 5k (LG Screen Manager 2.08 / Software Version of Monitor 3.04.....).

Can somebody deactivate his Touch ID to reproduce this? I will continue to monitor the situation and post anupdate.
I was having the same problem with the Touch ID! I don't use it anymore since my laptop is connected to the monitor all the time and is closed. I'm on 10.13.2 Beta (17C79a) and it wakes up everyday with no problems.

uwe92

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2017
I was having the same problem with the Touch ID! I don't use it anymore since my laptop is connected to the monitor all the time and is closed. I'm on 10.13.2 Beta (17C79a) and it wakes up everyday with no problems.
Awesome! I think we figured out the problem ... I also had no problems today. I am very surprised.

Update: Still have the problem. Deactivating Touch ID didn't help. :-(

Last edited:

zakiu

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2011
Mine consistently fails to display when I wake up from sleep mode. Today I had to plug in and unplug and plug in and unplug 4 times before the display started working. It has been doing this since I purchased. Early production LG w/ 1st Gen 13" TouchBar MBP

camhabib

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
Updated to the latest firmware and every time, EVERY single time I plug the monitor into my MBP it freezes up and requires a reboot. How has it been this long and they haven't fixed these issues yet?

jack1984

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2017
Are you running the latest version of High Sierra? I can't say I've experienced the same. I've gotten a flashing screen once or twice upon connection, but this was remedied by unplugging and replugging, no restart needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.