Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Which is newer?

I've mostly reviewed this thread, and the attached photo seems to match what I've read. But I'm curious, can anyone tell me which is the more 'updated' model? Bought both of these at the same time from a local Best Buy.

fre.jpg

6thDAY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
that is quite interesting

thanks for the pics!

I have the design on the left.

Interesting to see what people's thoughts on the 2 designs.

What was the build # for the 2 cases?

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
One on the left is: LR000273061
One on the right is: LR000064054

Does this mean the one on the left is newer (higher number)?

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
The one on the right is newer. My initial release case is like the left. The second after the fixes like the right.

jdrewrd

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
The one on the right is newer. My initial release case is like the left. The second after the fixes like the right.

That means my local Walmarts are still selling the older model. All the stores I've checked sell the model on the left.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I was under the impression that higher model numbers meant newer. Guess that is not correct. Sure makes it tough to figure out if it is a newer model without opening it first.

aalu91

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
PLEASE READ: recently returned the lifeproof because guess what? It bent my iphone. It slightly bent the iphone frame and caused a stress mark next to the lower volume button. Thankfully was able to get apple to replace it

Take this as a warning to check your device!!!

P.s. i had the black version with the built in cubes and also the red one with plastic raised pieces....dont know which one did the damage

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Don't blame a bent phone on Lifeproof. There is no way a 2 ounce case has the force to do so. Carry your phone in your back pocket much? Plus any marks rub right off. In over two years I've never had a LP leave any damage on my phone.

jdrewrd

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2013
The case is not going to prevent crushing or torquing abuse - it's just not reasonable to expect it to withstand whatever force would be required to "bend" an iPhone.

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
PLEASE READ: recently returned the lifeproof because guess what? It bent my iphone. It slightly bent the iphone frame and caused a stress mark next to the lower volume button. Thankfully was able to get apple to replace it

P.s. i had the black version with the built in cubes and also the red one with plastic raised pieces....dont know which one did the damage

This case did not bend your phone. It is physically impossible.

What is possible is the case did not prevent your phone from being bent. The iPhone 5 is easily bent due to the frame material and thickness.

Ladon08

macrumors member
May 16, 2012
So at a store, what manufacturing numbers should we be looking for. There's a bit of a discrepancy in the last page or so and I just want some clarification.

RoofMonkey911

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012

Literally impossible! Maybe not sticking the phone in a back pocket and sitting on it will prevent it from bending.....

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA

Are you certain about that? The green case I got at Best Buy, which is one of their newer colors and is in slightly updated packaging, looks like the model on the left.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
The clear stuff at the top was awful, so were the little stick on pads. Maybe the newest colored ones are different, but yeah of the two in that picture I'm sure.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Any idea why it has a lower serial number? I'd love to figure out this serial number stuff, but at the moment I'm stumped.

The clear stuff at the top was awful, so were the little stick on pads. Maybe the newest colored ones are different, but yeah of the two in that picture I'm sure.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
They changed the numbering awhile back. Any case besides black or white is for sure the newest.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Unfortunately I want a white/gray one, to replace the 'old' model. It shouldn't be this hard.

Just order direct from lifeProof. You will get the newest that way. Not from amazon or best buy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
so I just purchased the Lime Green Lifeproof tonight from Best Buy. I am a life long Otterbox user who finally decided to go with something different, because I just had the bulky size of the Defender, plus I can't stand that huge plastic hump they did on the home button on the 5.

So.. First thing I notice are the Newton Rings and the sound being bad. Sound is much better when I open the dock connector door, but of course I am not going to do this everytime.

Mine looks the same as the first picture shown in the post above. It only has the small angle shaped piece by the proximity sensor.

Should I call Lifeproof and ask for a replacement or do I have the newest case design and just have to deal with what I have?

I have read where the Newton's Rings should go away within a week so I am hoping

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
LifeProof Fr iP5 case

From my understanding, if you didn't buy it direct from Lifeproof, they won't help you. You'd need to return it to Best Buy.

so I just purchased the Lime Green Lifeproof tonight from Best Buy... Should I call Lifeproof and ask for a replacement or do I have the newest case design and just have to deal with what I have? ...

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
From my understanding, if you didn't buy it direct from Lifeproof, they won't help you. You'd need to return it to Best Buy.

But if BestBuy is constantly only using the old models, then I will never get the updated model... Well that sucks

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
They changed the numbering awhile back. Any case besides black or white is for sure the newest.

And this was why I questioned you when you said the picture on the right was the newer case. We now have confirmation from 2 people with the green case that theirs looks nothing like the image on the right, but rather the one on the left.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
And this was why I questioned you when you said the picture on the right was the newer case. We now have confirmation from 2 people with the green case that theirs looks nothing like the image on the right, but rather the one on the left.

My blue one, purchased last month, is like the one on the left also. That's 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I've since returned both, since I just didn't want to deal with the whole old/new issue right now. But from my limited use, it would be unfortunate if the model on the left was in fact the 'updated' design. That sensor nub is quite weird on its own. When surrounded by padding (model on right in picture) it levels out that whole area, such that when the phone is in place, it doesn't have the strange 'protruding' look. I think it may also help prevent the rings since the push the plastic away from the screen a bit. But if LP did remove the padding, I can only assume they had a reason.

And if in fact the model on the right is newer, it's very strange that so many colored models don't have it.

Either way, I may just order direct from Lifeproof and see how it goes. Or wait a while and try again from Best Buy.

I don't think I've ever had quite this experience with a phone case before :eek:

My blue one, purchased last month, is like the one on the left also. That's 3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.