Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
JS68183080.jpg

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Apple showing signs (once again) that customer care is not front and centre. Why not disclose this upfront?

Yeah, every mug manufacturer should do the same thing. Sheesh, people are allowed to think by themselves ones in a while.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Interesting. The issue I have is that Apple knew that all these companies products leaves rings. My problem with this whole thing is that Apple DIDN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Instead of finding an alternative material like cork they just kicked the ring bucket down the road.
Maybe they should have invented levitation technology... how about a large magnet under the furniture? /sarcasm

Bacillus

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
Ooohh man, can't wait to have my personalized ApplePark imprint onto all my wooden furniture.
Joni did this on purpose. He's such a genius.

Reactions: dotnet

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Doesn't make headlines if it's other products. Anything Apple on the other hand, makes headlines (which in turn means page views which mean money for sites like this one). So blowing even little things that impact every product up into a huge issue is very profitable for the media when it comes to Apple.
It doesen't make headlines because people usually expect other products to be crappy but buy them anyway due to price or compatibility.
[doublepost=1518771975][/doublepost]
But that doesn’t mean something as little as the HomePod leaving a white mark behind shouldn’t be informed to owners that are not aware of the situation. Granted, This ‘Issue’ doesn’t need to be exacerbated , I think it’s informative to know what’s causing the marks and Apple addressed the concern, and what remedies to use IF there are white marks left behind. I know as a HomePod owner, I would want to know this, even if it’s minor.
What causes the marks is gravity and oil on your wood furniture.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Like Alan Kay remarked, if you're serious about speakers you have to make your own furniture.

Who will join me at the Apple Store queue when the Apple SideBoard goes on sale?
[doublepost=1518777879][/doublepost]
What causes the marks is gravity and oil on your wood furniture.

The Second Vatican Council missed an epic opportunity when they failed to outlaw gravity.

Reactions: clauzzz203

luispedromota

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
Please stop making news and posts about a glorified speaker...

Perhaps I'm missing something but the homepod is just one more "smart" speaker on the market. A speaker is a speaker, with a couple more (or less) tricks than other speakers, but anyway a speaker.
It is not a major technology breakthrough, a disruptive product or anything else that deserves more than a couple of sideline remarks.

Let's talk about the new iMac Pro, the future Mac Pro, the iPhone and iPad ranges, the present and future of Mac OS, iOS, Logic Pro, Final Cut, third party apps and hardware products, thunderbolt, the processors, graphics, apple music, watch, apple tv, display screens, MacBooks, whatever...

But please don't give a speaker more attention than it deserves...
And by the way, please do the same with the news about the 5 new revolutionary emojis that will be included in the next update of iOS.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Everything leaves marks on oiled wood. The entire point is that you just wipe it with an oiled cloth to remove any marks. This is why you use a cutting board on butcher block and other oiled wood surfaces.

This isn't just the HomePod or Sonos or Alexa. This is pretty much everything you set on oiled wood. It's not a big deal. Anyone that has ever dealt with oiled wood knows you just wipe it with a cloth and like magic, it's back to normal again. It's sad this story got legs because there's no real story here. BREAKING: THINGS SET ON OILED WOOD LEAVE MARK

Yes. But the truth is that only Apple customers are pretentious enough to have oiled wood furniture. Everyone else buys wood furniture that is coated with polyurethane for durability.

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
Interesting. The issue I have is that Apple knew that all these companies products leaves rings. My problem with this whole thing is that Apple DIDN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM. Instead of finding an alternative material like cork they just kicked the ring bucket down the road.
Cork will also leave a mark - I don't know anything that wont leave a mark sitting on untreated wood for long time.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Oh, so I guess it is OK then for Apple's HomePod.

This company sucks balls so much. Sorry, I just can't stop hating the Apple of today and all this. They claim they are the best at everything, and then when something negative happens, they just say "hey, everybody else does it" and shrugs their shoulders.

Shouldn't Apple whom wants the best price for their products and has a superior attitude about their products ALSO deliver something actually better than their competitors? Or was Apple so focused on ripping off a competitors product they also ripped off the negative aspects of it too?

And it still does not forgive that people wanting to place the HomePod on a cloth to prevent this from happening makes the speaker sound crappy and Apple recommends not to. When a company start dictating where I am supposed to place a $400 "smart" speaker, that is when I have had enough of that company.

Last edited by a moderator:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Even before ring-gate, Homepod was the top worst product of 2018. This should keep them there for a bit.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

This company sucks balls so much. Sorry, I just can't stop hating the Apple of today and all this. They claim they are the best at everything, and then when something negative happens, they just say "hey, everybody else does it" and shrugs their shoulders.

Shouldn't Apple whom wants the best price for their products and has a superior attitude about their products ALSO deliver something actually better than their competitors? Or was Apple so focused on ripping off a competitors product they also ripped off the negative aspects of it too?

And it still does not forgive that people wanting to place the HomePod on a cloth to prevent this from happening makes the speaker sound crappy and Apple recommends not to. When a company start dictating where I am supposed to place a $400 "smart" speaker, that is when I have had enough of that company.
don't buy their products anymore then and join android.

simples

millions and millions are very happy with their products. not everybody will be.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Some education actually may be needed for daft people who don't understand the most simple stuff in life. Who would have though things leave marks.

You are talking about people who actually bought HomePod. Keep your expectations low.

hasanahmad

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2009

why are you even on here. this is macrumors where fans of Apple products and fans of company exist . if you dont like it or despise apple . you can go to other forums which discuss that

Reactions: ivanbosk

Sowelu

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
New York City
My Sonos speakers do not leave marks on my furniture, but my aesthetic (a la Restoration Hardware) leans towards matte finished wood pieces, matte weathered metals, and so on. I do not like or use oil based cleaners or finishes. So, it's more about how the surface is treated. If the bottom is silicon and the surface has oil residue on it, I would imagine that simply wiping the rings away and/or applying more oil to the surface would remedy the problem.

MacLoveMacHate

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2017
I've learned what I'm assuming are the oils from rubber will eventually penetrate any varnished wood table I've used. I stopped using mouse pads for that reason. This seems premature though.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
It makes sense what you say. That said, I am in no mood to make excuses for Apple or any other company. Apple's design should've dealt with this before it got to us. There was a reason why Apple was Apple under SJ and I believe that reason was no BS. We all loved the "it just works". Not these days. These ring issue is stupid and a shame. Other things that just do not work as they should:
Siri
iCloud
iTunes music
iPhone batteries

Feel free to add more.
Apple "just worked" then and it "just works" now. But even under SJ, it didn't just work all of the time for everyone. Those that had problems were vocal, as they are today. And SJ sometimes told you you were holding it wrong. But you were in a mood to make excuses for Apple then, and not now.

Reactions: artfossil

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
So, because Sonos does it, it's okay that HomePod does it and Apple didn't test it on the types of surfaces the average consumer might set it on and tell people that it'll leave rings on wood furniture?

What does Sonos have to do with anything?

Apple has enough resources to test this sort of stuff prior to shipping. It's no big deal at all that it leaves a ring. It's disappointing that they didn't let consumers know this so steps could be made to avoid it leaving a ring.

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
It is not clear why Apple did not inform customers about the possibility of white marks on wood, as this is presumably an issue the company had to know about following the HomePod's extended beta test with Apple employees and the years of development that went into the product.

Why didn't Sonos?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.