limera1n - ALL 4.1 devices jailbroken!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by alpineflip, Oct 8, 2010.

1. alpineflip macrumors newbie

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I didn't think it was ever released, and Geohot was not working on it anymore, who is working on it now?

3. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

where are you hearing rumors? geohot kinda disappeared.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Who’s geohot?

;)

5. ivan300 macrumors member

I hope he comes back he was the man. People need to stop pestering developers.....

6. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

7. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Have the sycophants been notified?

8. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Surprise took so long. Geohot seems to need the "Lime"light. Didn't he also posted a fake Photoshop pic of iPhone 4 JB?

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You may actually got something.... Seen to be some more drama going on at the dev teams...

Limera1n is suppose to be release on 10/11/10

10. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

LOL, and I thought this thread was about SPAZ getting a new iphone.:eek:

11. 2Southern macrumors member

2Southern

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

He may have, but he wouldn’t be able to announce that on here.

13. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

I'm assuming thats the same image on all the screens. It creates quite a contrast between the older/new screen resolutions...

14. sonicdissent macrumors regular

this is actually compelling stuff, watching all of the people involved on twitter. I wish they could sort this out so that we aren't burning two bootrom exploits. If I were chronic dev, I'd probably swallow my pride and save theirs for the 5th gen iphone since the limerain reportedly works on everything now. Still a jerk move by geohot to try to force it.

edit: looks like the SHATter folks are saying that theirs will be fixed in iPhone 5, while Geo's wouldn't if he saved it. So gotta side with chronic here. Comex supposedly working on a userland JB for new bootrom 3gs would bring jb capability to every device.

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

it's sticky situation, Limera1n supposedly works on all devices, that would be good for all, but at the same time, Geohot is just being a giant a$$ about it.

16. alpineflip thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes a jailbreak for all devices would be nice but It really would be best to save it for later and continue on with GP...just from all the talk on IRC and twitter it seems Geohots could last into the new devices as SHATter would be closed by that point but then who knows what really going on behind the scenes

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

They are both bootrom exploit, they can't be close by upgrade just with hardware, however Linera1n seen to be an different type of exploit that affect A4 and older bootrom at the same time, it make sense to use it, and save the A4 only exploit for later, but if they do that, the JB will take a lot longer so no 10.10 release, and that is what dev team is fighting.

18. alpineflip thread starter macrumors newbie

With what the chronic dev team just announced it might actually happen! Now its crunch time

19. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah,,,, they are going to try to make it with GeoHot Exploit, but that doesn't sound good to me at all, no enough time to "test" which means it will possible be a very "buggy" release :( I hope not

20. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I think they should use geos cause it Jailbreaks everything and as far as I know its not a bootrom exploit so itll save the bootrom exploit for 4.2 and beyond.

21. Fivepoint0 macrumors newbie

So I guess this means I won't have to wait a month to jailbreak my 3GS?

As far as I'm concerned this is good news. There will ALWAYS be more exploits.

22. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Geohot's exploit is the same one pod2g found (however, geohot found it 1st and both found it some time ago). Don't know for sure what Geohot did to it, but @comex manipulated it into an untethered jailbreak but it's for iPhone 4, IPT 4 etc only.

23. sonicdissent macrumors regular

Both are bootrom exploits. The drama is that the SHATter exploit is believed to now be known and expected to be closed while Geohot's is believed unknown and usable in future hardware. So the smart thing to do would be to release green poison as is and wait for the upcoming comex jb for new bootrom 3gs, which would cover everyone..and then drop the geohot next year. Would give (i think) an unprecedented amount of time that we know there will be exploits for.

24. Fivepoint0 macrumors newbie

Easy for you to say when your jailbreak is less than 2 days out and mine probably won't come until mid-November (provided Limera1n didn't exist and 3GS users had to wait for comex and 4.2).

25. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Prediction: Geohot isn't going to release his jailbreak due to all the controversy that he (intentionally) stirred up by announcing his exploit release a day after the Chronic Dev Team. The guy is an egomaniac, nothing positive will come out of this.