Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eirini Gri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
Hello people, I recently got an Ipad 2019 (7th gen.) for drawing and I need some help with the best drawings apps for lineart!

I used to do my illustrations using autocad( I know crazy) and now I got an ipad as I thought I would be able to work on them much faster. I have downloaded loads of apps inlcluding Procreate, vectornator, adobe sketch, bez, linea sketch, adobe draw and adobe fresco but none of these does exactly what I was hoping.

I am looking for a program in which works well with lineart, I want to be able to draw with lines and have this graphic result, I want it to be less free handed and have a more graphic digital style, if that makes sense. So far the pen tool at Vectornator is the closest to what I had in mind, but it is tricky to use.

Does anyone know of a program ? Thank you in advance !!!

Attached is a photo of an an old illustration so to get an idea of what I am after!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 16.34.28.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-17 at 16.34.28.png
    403.3 KB · Views: 236

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Look at Affinity Designer. It's vector based. Should do what you need.
Another vote for Affinity Designer. Great for line art. :)

bhodinut

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2013
I used to like Graphic. It seems the developers gave up on it. I haven't seen an update for a couple years.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
Hello people, I recently got an Ipad 2019 (7th gen.) for drawing and I need some help with the best drawings apps for lineart!

I used to do my illustrations using autocad( I know crazy) and now I got an ipad as I thought I would be able to work on them much faster. I have downloaded loads of apps inlcluding Procreate, vectornator, adobe sketch, bez, linea sketch, adobe draw and adobe fresco but none of these does exactly what I was hoping.

I am looking for a program in which works well with lineart, I want to be able to draw with lines and have this graphic result, I want it to be less free handed and have a more graphic digital style, if that makes sense. So far the pen tool at Vectornator is the closest to what I had in mind, but it is tricky to use.

Does anyone know of a program ? Thank you in advance !!!

Attached is a photo of an an old illustration so to get an idea of what I am after!
For me, Affinity Designer doesn’t follow some standard iOS conventions. Like you know how pressing and holding the command key should show all the ”command” options available? It doesn’t. Also, pressing the delete key doesn’t delete. I’ve used and am most familiar with Graphic. It hasn’t been updated for a year, but what’s there works for me AND it’s cross compatible with Graphic for the Mac.

I’ve recently started using Vectornator which is a little different from Graphic, but they are actively developing it and they’re supporting new iOS features as they’re introduced. In addition, it also has a macOS version and both are free. Don’t know what their profit model is, but for now I’m learning to use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.