List of accessories that DO and DON'T work with iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mrat93, Jul 16, 2008.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

So apparently many 3rd party accessories don't work with iPhone 3G at the moment. Post the name of your 3rd party accessories and whether they do or don't work in 4 ways: Syncing, charging audio playback via 30 pin connector, and an Incompatibility Message . I'll try to maintain a list.

Name-------------------------------------------Sync---------------------Charge---------------------Audio------Message
    Alpine iDA-X001 iPod / media receiver--------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
    Alpine x100--------------------------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
    Altec Lansing IM600-----------------------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[Yes]--------[ ? ]
    Apple FireWire Power Adapter for iPod--------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[N/A]--------[ ? ]
    Apple iPod Radio Remote-----------------------[N/A]--------------------[N/A]------------------------[No]---------[Yes]
    Apple Universal dock---------------------------[Yes]---------------------[Yes]------------------------[ ? ]---------[ ? ]
    Belkin iPod dock--------------------------------[Yes]---------------------[Yes]------------------------[ ? ]---------[Yes]
    Griffin PowerJolt (w/ retractable USB)--------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[N/A]--------[Yes]
    Belkin Tunesync--------------------------------[Yes]---------------------[Yes]------------------------[No]---------[No]
    Blitzsafe Car/iPod interface--------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
    Bose SoundDock--------------------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
    Brandmotion iPod adapter for Ford Vehicles--[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    Griffin iTrip Autopilot---------------------------[N/A]---------------------[Yes]-----------------------[Yes]---------[No]
    Griffin PowerJolt (w/ retractable USB)--------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[N/A]--------[Yes]
    Griffin TuneJuice Power------------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[N/A]---------[Yes]
    Harmond Drive+Play---------------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
    iHome iH14D table radio/dock-----------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    iHome iH4B Alarm Clock-----------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    iHome iH6---------------------------------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[No]----------[Yes]
    iHome iH8---------------------------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    iLuv i730 car kit (Bluetooth, FM, Charge)-----[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    JBL OnStage II----------------------------------[N/A]---------------------[No]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    Kenwood DDX812 Head Unit w/ iPod cable---[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    MacAlly FMcup----------------------------------[N/A]---------------------[Yes]-----------------------[Yes]----------[ ? ]
    Monster iCarPlay Wireless 200 FM-------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    Monster iCarPlay Wireless (Plus)--------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    Onkyo iPod Dock--------------------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]
    Pioneer FH-P8000BT car stereo----------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    Sony ICF-C1iP Dock with Clock----------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    USA SPEC Honda iPod Interface---------------[N/A]--------------------[No]-------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]
    XtremeMac | LUNA-----------------------------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[Yes]

2. bmonster macrumors member

Blitzsafe Car/iPod interface, Bose SoundDock & Altec Lansing IM600 play music but do not charge.

3. meglet macrumors member

meglet

Pioneer FH-P8000BT car stereo charges and plays, with the usual warning about an incompatible accessory from the iPhone.

Apple Universal iPod dock syncs and charges, haven't tried any audio/video output.

Belkin iPod dock syncs and charges, again with the incompatible accessory warning.

Both docks listed are plugged into my MacBook via USB for syncing and charging.

4. minik macrumors 65816

Apple FireWire Power Adapter for iPod - does not charge my iPhone 3G.

It came with the 10GB iPod (touch-wheel) and worked with my 8GB iPod touch.

5. w00tme macrumors member

alpine ida-x001 usb connection plays and charges the 3G

(the full-speed cable does not charge the 3G)

6. pw1500 macrumors regular

pw1500

whaaaaaat? mine doesnt charge????? does yours really? =/

7. meglet macrumors member

meglet

Yes, mine charges. I did have a problem when I was using a Griffin iPod cable, I don't know if the cable went bad or just didn't work with my phone. I suspect it went bad, because it worked perfectly on the first part of my road trip, then failed for the trip back home. I switched to a spare Apple iPod cable that I had, and it now works perfectly.

USB extension cable from the back of the stereo, Apple iPod cable plugged into the extension cable, and then into the dock port of the iPhone.

8. ieko macrumors member

Monster iCarPlay Wireless Plus
    Audio = yes
    Charge = no

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Shure MPA works completely, but you have to force it in a little harder then with the original iPhone...

10. pw1500 macrumors regular

pw1500

11. cualexander macrumors 6502a

I have the Alpine x100 and what I discovered today is that the audio from the apps flows through the USB with my iphone 3g.

So I can play Pandora radio through the head unit with just the USB connected! I just pause the Ipod playback and I still have access to the volume knob to adjust everything. I thought it was cool and I didn't know it was possible until I stumbled upon it.

Yes it charges too. BTW, the reason why some things do not charge the new iphone is that the new iphone doesn't allow charging via firewire and some older accessories were doing this instead of USB. Apple broke this capability in the new iphone

I read that somewhere, don't recall though.

UPDATE: Yes it does have that crazy message about incompatibility but I am so used to it now, it doesn't bother me. I just connect it up when I am in the garage and tell it No, and off I go.

12. dubbedout macrumors newbie

13. keirnna macrumors regular

keirnna

I am sure getting tired of this message:
    [​IMG]

Every accessory I have tried so far is incompatible and all of these worked with the iPod Touch.
    Monster iCarPlay Wireless Plus Power: N Audio: Y
    Griffin TuneJuice Power: N Audo: N/A

14. keirnna macrumors regular

keirnna

This has been broken for a while. I had several devices that wouldn't work with my iPod Touch and I replaced them all, now each of those doesn't work with my iPhone 3G.

15. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Can someone explain why a simple car charger that works with the original iPhone won't work with the iPhone 3G? I found some on Monoprice, but it says it's not compatible with the iPhone 3G. The dock connector should be the same (I'm using a usb/dock cable from an old iPod Mini to connect my iPhone 3G and it works fine), so I can't figure out why it wouldn't work.

16. ponygurl macrumors newbie

A few more to add to the list.

iHome iH14D table radio/dock
    charges: yes :)
    audio: yes
    warning message about it not being compatible: yes

Sony ICF-C1iP Dock with Clock
    charges: yes :)

JBL OnStage II:
    charges: no :(

Brandmotion iPod adapter for Ford Vehicles
    charges: no :(

REALLY tired of that warning message. :mad:

17. minik macrumors 65816

What a big oops! Guess I need to wait months before purchasing some iPhone 3G friendly speakers.

18. snagitseven macrumors member

As has been reported all over the web, Apple discontinued use of the firewire pins for charging to USB only starting w/the 3G iPhone. Apple warned vendors quite awhile ago that they should move to USB charging for Apple devices but most vendors ignored the warning. Firewire utilizes 12v and is easier than down converting to the 5v of USB and may push more power for faster charging (?) but requires more space in the iPhone to implement.

Vendors may make a an apdapter avail but unknown how much or how large it would be. Prob will be easier to buy a new charger or combo FM transmitter.

19. pyrodex macrumors 6502

pyrodex

I emailed iHome today about their iP47BR device and here is what I got from them:

Code:
    Yes our iP47 is compatible with the new iPhone 3G.
    Regards
    Chee Ming

I emailed them back to ask if the message would appear since my current iPod alarm clock doesn't even charge or do audio for my new iPhone 3G.

20. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Would that apple, though, with devices that don't even use firewire, like a car charger?

21. Antj29 macrumors member

think this is the final straw, think the 3g is going back tomorrow. whats the point in me having a sound dock Bose i bought to use with my old iphone which now no longer charges it. It will just go flat all the time.

Another Apple Con!!! 3g is nice but i'm not replacing all my accessories.

22. RonFromOregon macrumors member

Belkin Tunesync

Sync=Yes
    Charge=Yes
    Audio=NO
    Message=NO

23. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

This is great news. I actually emailed Belkin but they said it wouldn't be compatible. Does the 3G sit pretty securely?

24. bperkins macrumors member

Forgive my ignorance......with the accessories that do not work with the current iPhone 3G, can this be fixed with a software update? Or is this a hardware issue that cannot be fixed?

25. kimberlyd. macrumors newbie

griffin itrip autopilot
    charge=yes
    audio=yes
    message=no
    did not need to put it in airplane mode