Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OpenWheelFan

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Logitech Audiostation?

Does anyone have any experience trying to use a Logitech Audiostation (not the Express, the original Audiostation from two years ago) with an iPhone 3G?

Does it charge / play music? Does your 3G want to go into Airplane Mode?

(I'm thinking about getting one from an on-line source, and can't find any in any of the stores locally.)

Thanks!

OWF

tcusta00

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2008
iHome
iH4B Alarm Clock for iPod®

10137_75_2.jpg

Charge: Yes
Music: Yes

Just picked this up from Walmart today for 50 bucks. It works fine to charge and play but it gives horrible feedback whenever it connects to the network, which is often. I don't know what the point is if you have to put it in Airplane mode.

Anyone know of a clock that doesn't require Airplane mode in order to avoid the feedback? Would it be any of those listed in the first post that say "No" under the "message" column?

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
As has been reported all over the web, Apple discontinued use of the firewire pins for charging to USB only starting w/the 3G iPhone. Apple warned vendors quite awhile ago that they should move to USB charging for Apple devices but most vendors ignored the warning. Firewire utilizes 12v and is easier than down converting to the 5v of USB and may push more power for faster charging (?) but requires more space in the iPhone to implement.

Vendors may make a an apdapter avail but unknown how much or how large it would be. Prob will be easier to buy a new charger or combo FM transmitter.

Whats peeing me off is I have a car lighter USB charger which I plug the ipod into via its charging cable and it wont charge properly.

hassiman

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2006
San Diego
Griffin AutoPilot

Griffin says that the current AutoPilot (not the iTrip with FM tuner) WILL charge and operate the iPhone 3G. I have had this confirmed by a number of 3G owners. :)

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
question: so i saw there are a few car audio decks listed that will charge the iphone 3g and play audio in the first post. but isn't it just a matter of the cable being compatible not the deck itself?

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
ICF-C1IPMK2BLK

Just picked this up from Walmart today for 50 bucks. It works fine to charge and play but it gives horrible feedback whenever it connects to the network, which is often. I don't know what the point is if you have to put it in Airplane mode.

Anyone know of a clock that doesn't require Airplane mode in order to avoid the feedback? Would it be any of those listed in the first post that say "No" under the "message" column?

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Can someone recommend a good quality speaker system for the iPhone3G, I don't need the alarm setup since my iPhone 3G alarms are loud enough I would like something I could Dock the phone in at night and charge it and also play through while in my room.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
pyrodex,

(Un)fortunately the best speaker setup at this point is the Sony alarm clock setup from everything I've read for doing what you plan on doing. There are others, but they are more expensive (>$100) and don't really net you much. The Sony I'm talking about is the one I posted about twice before your post. Check it out, it's a very good value. :D

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
pyrodex,

(Un)fortunately the best speaker setup at this point is the Sony alarm clock setup from everything I've read for doing what you plan on doing. There are others, but they are more expensive (>$100) and don't really net you much. The Sony I'm talking about is the one I posted about twice before your post. Check it out, it's a very good value. :D

I wouldn't mind spending a little more dough if it didn't do the feed back thing the Sony does. Something that would take universal dock adapters would be a huge plus since I have one for my switcheasy rebel.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
The Sony (the $99 model that ADVERTISES iPhone support) doesn't have any feedback and also accepts universal dock sleeves. Where are you getting your information?

I wouldn't mind spending a little more dough if it didn't do the feed back thing the Sony does. Something that would take universal dock adapters would be a huge plus since I have one for my switcheasy rebel.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
The Sony (the $99 model that ADVERTISES iPhone support) doesn't have any feedback and also accepts universal dock sleeves. Where are you getting your information?

My bad I saw the post below yours and thought that was related to the same device, I just ordered one this morning with out Sony Discount so not bad for 63.50$ shipped.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Well I got the Sony clock and I have to say thanks for the recommendation! Charges like a champ and another neat feature is that any sound/event you get on the iPhone while docked will make the sound/event through the speakers of the clock. This is nice if your a heavy sleeper and someone calls you during the night or if you use your iPhone as an alarm the alarm sound comes through the speakers.

Innerware

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2008
Alarm Clock

Well I got the Sony clock and I have to say thanks for the recommendation! Charges like a champ and another neat feature is that any sound/event you get on the iPhone while docked will make the sound/event through the speakers of the clock. This is nice if your a heavy sleeper and someone calls you during the night or if you use your iPhone as an alarm the alarm sound comes through the speakers.

I like the idea of having an Alarm clock that charges my iphone. If I place the phone on Airplane mode will I still have microwaves emitting from the phone?
Also I think JVC do a dual charger Alarm clock/iphone-ipod charger.

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Thread started needs to add "remote" capabilities to the list as well, for some people, like me, this is critical.

1) Sony ICF-C1iPMK2 Speaker Dock / Clock Radio for iPod + iPhone $99

2) Apple Universal Dock - 2007 Version - The one with the slit in the front and not the oval. $50

===================================================

1) Sony ICF-C1iPMK2 Speaker Dock / Clock Radio for iPod + iPhone $99

Review for both iPhone 3G and iPhone Original (sometimes referred to as 2G) both on the 2.0.2 software.

I concur this is the best value setup either bedside or in the kitchen for the iPhone 3G or iPhone Original (wife's and mine). Sound is wonderful. Although the Polk Audio $300/$400 system looks to offer video out and audio out as well and probably outclasses this Sony feature and sound-wise.

I would have to disagree on the GSM buzz issue. In this Sony model, just bought at Apple store 8/2/2008 - there IS some slight feedback if the volume level is set up over 10 (it ranges from 1-20). Under 10 you can BARELY hear it, but it's there...

There is however a solution for most GSM Buzz feedback which is to place a computer static bag (the one they ship memory modules in) between the back of the iPhone and the dock you have it resting on. Try it, no lying, this works. Looks funky, but works. You do lose some coverage bars, but in most cases the calls still come in.

For this unit:
Sony ICF-C1iPMK2 Speaker Dock / Clock Radio for iPod + iPhone

For both the iPhone 3G and iPhone Original:

Music - yes via the speakers on the unit.

Video - only on the iPhone itself, there is no Video out jack on the Sony unit nor does the Sony unit have a Video screen, duh. I personally think this lack of a feature (and no audio out jack) prevent this Sony from being EPIC. Dang Polk model is calling me still... ***

Charging - yes

Nag screen - NO!!!

Remote Control - IR based - ability to play, pause, fast-forward, fast-reverse, skip one track forward, skip one track back, access the iPhone's iPod application menuing on screen system navigating through the "Playlists, Artists, Songs, Videos, More" features, volume up and volume down for the iPhone while connected

One weird thing about this Sony unit/remote is that the remote volume and the Unit's volume buttons seem to control the Unit's internal volume as opposed to the iPhone "volume". Moving the side volume controls on the iPhone itself don't matter. If that makes sense...

*** If you have a video in a playlist mixed with with music, the video will display in potrait mode on the iPhone while docked as well. Not sure if that's the case for playing "movies" such as TV shows, rentals, etc. This also occurs when the iPhone is not connected to any dock/cable.

2) Apple Universal Dock - 2007 Version - The one with the slit in the front and not the oval. $50

Model: MB125G/A
UPC: 8-85909-17460-7

Review for both iPhone 3G and iPhone Original (sometimes referred to as 2G) both on the 2.0.2 software.

This white dock provides your standard male 30 pin connector dock for the iPhone to rest reclining. Then there is a female 30 pin connector on the back. There's also a "line out" on the back. I haven't tried this jack, but it's most likely a standard stereo 1/4" jack. There are NO cables that come with this dock. You have to but them separately.

This dock has a IR remote as well.

I paired this with the newer Apple Component / Composite audio/video/30-pin/USB cords. $50

Yes...$100+ for a dock and cables, but it does just about everything I want it to - audio passthru, video passthru, charging, and sync - and it holds the unit up.

Music - Yes via the cables mentioned above. Separate left and right RCA male plugs.

Video - Yes via the cables mentioned above either via the single male RCA Yellow or the 3 Red/Green/Blue outputs. Other cables may not work Video-wise due for to the supposed Apple Authentication chip that's embedded on the cable end. ****

With the Apple $50 cables connected, videos are normally directed along the cable (if you have the Video Out setting on the iPhone turned on like most do). If you play a video while docked and while the cable is plugged in, then unless you have that video cable hooked to some external display, then you won't see the video...

HOWEVER

If you have a video in a playlist mixed with with music...I found a trick (OR BUG). If you UNDOCK the iPhone and play a normal song-only on the iPhone, then RE-DOCK IT the song will play. Now ONLY USE THE track forward or track backwards on EITHER the iPhone itself or the remote, the video will display in portrait mode on the iPhone while docked as well. Not sure if that's the case for playing "movies" such as TV shows, rentals, etc. This only works with the track-forward/backwards. The behavior is not seen when using the "DONE" button or the "previous" or "<-" arrow in the top left of the screen near the Song/Video name.

Basically a way to put the iPhone in "non-Video-out" mode without having to make it so by going into settings.

(Video on the iPhone and 30gig Video has always been quirky)

Charging - Yes

Nag screen - NO!!! Even when I switch to using the standard iPhone 30 pin to USB cable from the $50 Apple cables - there's no Nag screen. Which kinda proves that the device and not the cables is controlling the nag screens.

Remote Control - IR based - ability to play, pause, fast-forward, fast-reverse, skip one track forward, skip one track back, volume up and volume down for the iPhone while connected.

!!!! The remote DOES have a MENU button on it, but it DOES NOT access the iPhone's menu system (unlike the Sony unit above). What a disappointment. Hopefully this is a SOFTWARE issue that Apple can fix? ? ? !!!!

One weird thing about this Apple Universal Dock remote is that the remote volume buttons seem to control the iPhone's volume as the speaker icon flashes up on the screen and then disappears when you move the volume.

BTW, locally here in Denver - City Circuit is the ONLY place to pick this up at a brick-n-mortar store. Our two Apple stores are out of them as of 9/1.

iPhone Original 8GB - still kickin! - my "daily driver"
iPhone 3G 16GB White - wifie's
2 iPod 30GB Videos - now slowly turning to dust
and about $1000 worth of accessories to home, work, and car : charge, play, remote, incase, and other wackiness
(not to mention the video screens in the cars to play movies on and music videos)

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
I like the idea of having an Alarm clock that charges my iphone. If I place the phone on Airplane mode will I still have microwaves emitting from the phone?
Also I think JVC do a dual charger Alarm clock/iphone-ipod charger.

I don't think that dual-charger JVC has "alarm clock" functions. I barely glanced at it at City Circuit (swap) today. You could use your iPhone alarms I guess...but there's no convenient "snooze" / "sleep" functions on the iPhone.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I would have to disagree on the GSM buzz issue. In this Sony model, just bought at Apple store 8/2/2008 - there IS some slight feedback if the volume level is set up over 10 (it ranges from 1-20). Under 10 you can BARELY hear it, but it's there...

I have yet to hear anything on my Sony dock and my volume is at 14... Maybe you have a defective unit?

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
So apparently many 3rd party accessories don't work with iPhone 3G at the moment. Post the name of your 3rd party accessories and whether they do or don't work in 4 ways: Syncing, charging audio playback via 30 pin connector, and an Incompatibility Message . I'll try to maintain a list.

Name-------------------------------------------Sync---------------------Charge---------------------Audio------Message
Alpine iDA-X001 iPod / media receiver--------[N/A]--------------------[Yes]------------------------[Yes]---------[ ? ]

alpine ida-x001 usb connection plays and charges the 3G

(the full-speed cable does not charge the 3G)

How can I get my 3G to work with this stereo? I bought this unit as an open box, so the usb cable was missing... I tried using the cable that came with my iPhone and it gives me "USB Device Error" on the screen. Do I need to get the original cable from the stereo?? If I can't find an original, what would be a suitable substitute?

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
How can I get my 3G to work with this stereo? I bought this unit as an open box, so the usb cable was missing... I tried using the cable that came with my iPhone and it gives me "USB Device Error" on the screen. Do I need to get the original cable from the stereo?? If I can't find an original, what would be a suitable substitute?

I guess I'm gonna answer my own question here.......

I purchased the Alpine USB-iPod cable from a local parts store. If anyone needs to know, it's item # A-09-09244Z01. I connected this cable and it works. The stereo recognizes my iPhone 3g as an iPod and it charges it. Of course I get the message about this is not compatible, do you want to turn your phone into an airplane and get away message. I just hit no and I'm on my way.

mikedecaro

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
The Griffin Tuneflex Aux works great with the iPhone, both charging and audio. I had to modify the base that it sits in because it only comes with an iPod Touch base adapter. I cut off the back of the Touch adapter, glued it to the classic adapter, and added a little bit of foam to make it sit snug. Works great.

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
So can anyone confirm yes or no for me...does the Apple Hi-Fi work with the iPhone 3G? I need it to charge and play music.

I'm finding conflicting info.

Thanks!

Thiopentone

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
iPhone 3G accessories - the Post-Firmware 2.1 Experience

Hi all.

I wondered if any of you had a (different) experience when trying to attach your various aftermarket accessories to the iPhone 3G after applying the firmware update, ie. does the update appear to help the incompatibility problems and in particular the nag messages?

orrelse44

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Hi all.

I wondered if any of you had a (different) experience when trying to attach your various aftermarket accessories to the iPhone 3G after applying the firmware update, ie. does the update appear to help the incompatibility problems and in particular the nag messages?

Nope...same BS. And apple or these companies will never fix it. They want you to buy new accesories.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.