Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
"There is no limit to the number of apps that can be installed (beside storage space). Once you reach the home screen limit, Apps installed after that are installed without an icon but can be accessed in Spotlight. You can also use this to hide any apple application (i.e. weather and stocks)"

How is this done?

it's better if you have all of your home pages full. you can still do it without them being full, but they will come back if you reset the device, enable then disable restrictions, or install a new app. but to do it, move 16 icons to the 11th home screen page (there can be blank pages in between). put the icon you want to hide as the last icon on the page. now just take on more icon and more it on to the page. the icon that was in the last spot disappears but is still reachable through spotlight.

BPresley321

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
More and more hidden features I see, more and more I appreciate this update. The way apple markets it, like on their website, only mentions the top 10 or 20 updates but all these little things get me just as excited as the few big updates.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Great list!

This one was new to me--basically tabbed browsing for mobile Safari! News sites and forums just got a lot better:

Taping and holding a link in Safari now brings up a menu with "Open" "Open in new window" and "Copy" which copies the link location (found by jman240)

shen

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
i just love that i have the first generation and with update only 2 phones are nicer than mine. the 2 newer generations.

best. phone. ever.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
The way I've "hidden" them in the past (still waiting for 3Gs) just move the app to a blank page at the end. First install all the apps you want and get them arranged properly (for example I always leave the bottom row blank) then take the apps you don't want but can't/don't want to delete and move them to the last page. It's not really hidden, just out of the way.

This (actual hiding of apps) has traditionally been a feature of jailbreak utilities also, so probably will show up again with the 3.0-compatible tools from the Dev Team (Pwnage, QuickPwn, and ultrasn0w). Otherwise, I'd do what vrillusions said. :)

climbrate

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Still Missing Basic Functionality in OS 3.0

OS 3.0 has a lot of nice features, but you still can't generate an email and decide to attach a picture, let alone a document. Or, how about being able to disable SMS's popping up on your screen. I see you can search for emails within mail, but you can't delete them from there. Anyone notice the missing "SMS" in the SMS incon! Or better yet, how about creating some cool new icons or give us some new backgrounds to enjoy. At least we got copy and paste, right...for free! Anyone else still missing features that seem like a no brainer?

clarksonknight

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Washington, DC
Not necessarily OS 3.0 functionality, but iTunes + iPhone OS: It would be really nice to be able to arrange my App layout via iTunes. Granted they've made it slightly nicer on the iPhone with a couple of tweaks, but I'd welcome the opportunity to change the layout via iTunes.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Umm... I remember this happening in 2.x

Yes, it happened inconsistently, but it definitely did happen.

A few of them aren't hidden; for example, unless I'm crazy, they demoed the fact that Notes had data detectors either at WWDC or the March iPhone event. Either that, or someone posted an image about it before the launch, because I am positive I knew about this beforehand.

I knew about most of the features highlighted in the OP from reading other articles, but it's very good to have a list of all of these less-known features all in one place!!

chimerical

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2004

- When a phone call interrupts you, after the phone call you are taken back to the app you were in before you were interrupted

Didn't it already return us to the app if we were interrupted by a phone call? That was the behavior I was seeing prior to 3.0.

Edit: Oh, I see. It was inconsistent before. What changed? It's just more stable?

chimerical

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2004
Not necessarily OS 3.0 functionality, but iTunes + iPhone OS: It would be really nice to be able to arrange my App layout via iTunes. Granted they've made it slightly nicer on the iPhone with a couple of tweaks, but I'd welcome the opportunity to change the layout via iTunes.
+1. For those of us who are OCD.

gnutz

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2009
Sorry... had to do it.

MacRumors forum user bndoarn has organized a massive list of hidden 3.0 features. The list is over 96 individual features so far. Some are more significant than others, of course. Here are a few interesting highlights:

- You can now have 11 home screen pages instead of nine

Article Link: List of Hidden iPhone 3.0 Features, Launch Unlimited Apps with Spotlight

So why not just make 10 the highest?

"But these go up to 11..."
Nigel Tuffnel

Chrisedge

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
The OC
I noticed some changes to the "recent" menu under the phone. City State appear under each number, and if someone in your contacts calls you, it says which line (Home, Mobile, etc..) under their name.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
This is stupid. I tried it and it's really silly.

The only way to hide applications is to load 176 apps. The 177'th and beyond gets installed but can only be accessed through spotlight.

What's even really stupid is that there is no way to move a hidden app on to your springboard. I found the apps using spotlight but it does not allow me to move it to my springboard.

So, no way to move apps from springboard to hidden or backwards after filling up 11 pages. This suck!!!.

The only way to move an app to your springboard is to delete couple of apps thats on your 11 pages and cold reboot... After the reboot those missing apps that you deleted gets replaced with apps from the hidden. The worst part of this is that you don't know which hidden app will appear. You have to delete until the ones you want appear after the reboot.

So, the only solution I was able to come up with was
1. backup your data (for apps that will be on your springboard and hidden)
2. delete all the apps on your springboard that you want hidden
3. using itunes sync up all the apps that you want on your springboard exactly 176.
4. then sync up the reset of the apps on your itunes which will be in the hidden
5. restore the data which will bring back data for those apps in the hidden

Wow, this is silly..

All this could have been avoided if they just gave us 1 option and that is
in spotlight be able to select which you want on springboard or not; like an edit icon (upper-right-corner), click on it and just put checks on the ones you want on springboard and the rest will be in the hidden. And this will allow me to limit the number of pages i want. I can select up to 3 pages of apps and the rest will be hidden. what a missed opportunity.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
If you start an email and decide that you want to add a picture after the fact it is simple. Just press the Home button, go into the Photos App, select Camera Roll (or wherever your pictures are) then press the send icon on the bottom left. Select one or more photos and then press copy. Press the Home button and then re-launch Mail and your message will still be there intact and you can go paste the pictures in the body of the Mail.

OS 3.0 has a lot of nice features, but you still can't generate an email and decide to attach a picture, let alone a document. Or, how about being able to disable SMS's popping up on your screen. I see you can search for emails within mail, but you can't delete them from there. Anyone notice the missing "SMS" in the SMS incon! Or better yet, how about creating some cool new icons or give us some new backgrounds to enjoy. At least we got copy and paste, right...for free! Anyone else still missing features that seem like a no brainer?

caffeinejoe

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
Fort McMurray, AB. CANADA
The "Recent" list in the Phone app lists whether the recent call was an outgoing call, shown with a tiny handset icon with an arrow pointing away. Also all calls are identified as either home/work/mobile/main etc. Nice touch.

cacibi

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2005
I would think two more useful features for double-click functions would be:

1) Open Voice Recorder AND start recording
2) Open video camera AND start recording

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
This is good to know. Now I can sync every app I have and not worry about running out of space. I'll just have some random apps that are not viewable. Now there should be a way to organize apps better into categories or determine which apps that don't make it on the first 11 screens.

YoGramMamma

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2006
the BIGGEST IMPROVEMENT

Which I have seen no mention of YET,

is the fact that when you are surfing in Safari and you press and hold on a link, it gives you the option to open that link in a new window / copy the link / open in the current window.

THIS is HUGE for me because i always hated searching for something and always having to navigate away from the page that i wanted to keep open, especially since the iPhone doesn't know how to properly cache any page.

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
**About to End**
that post is about to end because there is an alloted amount of characters you can have in a post and i'm about to run out.

iamPro

macrumors regular
May 15, 2009
Any logical reason from Apple for not letting us organize apps both on the phone and in itunes?

At least I know it is a pain to drag an icon through 5+ pages full of apps without messing up and have to rearrange all over.

Custom folders is an easy solution... don't know why Apple won't do this.

Or at least give us the ability to rearrange apps on our phone via itunes using or computers.

edmundo

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
you still can't generate an email and decide to attach a picture
Sure can: switch to your Photos app, select picture, click on it, "copy", go back to your mail, paste. Or use the Copy function in the images listing (bottom left button)
let alone a document
No finder. You can however link to a Google Doc pretty easily.
Anyone notice the missing "SMS" in the SMS incon!
No. There is no more "SMS" icon, it's now "Messages" since it does SMS and MMS.
Or better yet, how about creating some cool new icons or give us some new backgrounds to enjoy.
You can create your own backgrounds so that one's not much of an issue. Icons... well Voice Memos is a new one, and they modified the Messages, Phone and iPod icons (Messages lost the "SMS" in the bubble and all three now have striped backgrounds). But why change icons for the sake of changing them? Messing with people's heads?
God yes, remove the godawful list of checkboxes in the Applications tab and give us a graphical D&D selection+organization thing.

Also, allow the removal of Stocks and Weather, they just take room on the phone...

Anyway biggest missing feature/opportunity for me is the impossibility to record calls (you can run the recorder and drop in e.g. a game though, it works)
At least I know it is a pain to drag an icon through 5+ pages full of apps without messing up and have to rearrange all over.
That's been partially fixed: if you keep the app on the border of the screen, the pages will keep scrolling and it won't mess up your pages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.